HEAPOW: Dust and the Wind (2010 Apr 12)

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

HEAPOW: Dust and the Wind (2010 Apr 12)

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:28 am

Image HEAPOW: Dust and the Wind (2010 Apr 12)
Massive stars run out of nuclear fuel and die explosively. Their death both destroys and enriches their environment. Destroys, as the supernova explosion rips apart the surrounding interstellar medium; enriches, as the ejecta produced carries forth new complex material into the pristine cosmos. A case in point is G54.1+0.3, the remnant left behind after the explosion of a star some dozen times the sun's mass. The image above is a composite X-ray and infrared image (taken by the Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Spitzer Space Telescope, respectively) showing the complexities of stardeath. The X-ray emission, in blue and white, shows high-energy emission produced by an outflowing wind energized by the dead compact stellar core of the exploded star (which appears as a white point source in the image). The Spitzer infrared image in red and yellow shows emission from dust in the ejecta. This stuff probably condensed out of the ejecta produced by the supernova. Surrounding G54.1+0.2 is a ring of young stars, whose formation may have been triggered by the massive progenitor of G54.1+0.3.
Chandra: G54.1+0.3: Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 29&t=18895
<< Previous HEAPOW High Energy Astrophysics
Picture of the Week
Next HEAPOW >>
[/b]

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: HEAPOW: Dust and the Wind (2010 Apr 12)

Post by rstevenson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

... rips apart the surrounding interstellar medium; ...
hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
I'm trying to picture what is being ripped apart, and to what extent. What is in that "medium"?

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 pm

rstevenson wrote:I'm trying to picture what is being ripped apart, and to what extent. What is in that "medium"?
The medium is the content of interstellar space, which is filled with atomic and molecular gases as well as dust particles. Depending on where in space you look, the medium is either very thin or quite dense. A supernova can rip this apart in the same way a change in atmospheric conditions rips apart a cloud.

This usage of "rips apart" seems quite reasonable to me, and not at all a case of hyperbole.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
rstevenson wrote:I'm trying to picture what is being ripped apart, and to what extent. What is in that "medium"?
The medium is the content of interstellar space, which is filled with atomic and molecular gases as well as dust particles. Depending on where in space you look, the medium is either very thin or quite dense. A supernova can rip this apart in the same way a change in atmospheric conditions rips apart a cloud.

This usage of "rips apart" seems quite reasonable to me, and not at all a case of hyperbole.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Why did the man punch his fortune teller when she laughed?
He wanted to strike a happy medium.
Last edited by neufer on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:57 pm

I am utterly destroyed by those examples. No, really!

(Hyperbole in the service of explication is still hyperbole.)

Rob