JPL: Cassini Bags Enceladus 'Tigers'

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

JPL: Cassini Bags Enceladus 'Tigers'

Post by bystander » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Cassini Bags Enceladus 'Tigers'
NASA JPL | Cassini Equinox Mission | 14 Aug 2010
NASA's Cassini spacecraft has successfully completed its flyby over the "tiger stripes" in the south polar region of Saturn's moon Enceladus and has sent back images of its passage. The spacecraft also targeted the moon Tethys.

The tiger stripes are actually giant fissures that spew jets of water vapor and organic particles hundreds of kilometers, or miles, out into space. While the winter is darkening the moon's southern hemisphere, Cassini has its own version of "night vision goggles" -- the composite infrared spectrometer instrument - to track heat even when visible light is low. It will take time for scientists to assemble the data into temperature maps of the fissures.

This image was taken on Aug. 13, 2010, by the Cassini spacecraft and received on Earth Aug. 14, 2010. The camera was pointing toward Enceladus at approximately 348,913 kilometers (216,805 miles) away, and the image was taken using the CL1 and GRN filters. This image has not been validated or calibrated. A validated/calibrated image will be archived with the NASA Planetary Data System in 2011.

More raw images from the Enceladus flyby, dubbed "E11," are available at: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/

Credit: NASA/JPL/SSI
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 77#p129677

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

How to bag a tiger on Enceladus

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:47 pm

http://hubpages.com/hub/Joke_-_How_to_Catch_a_Lion_in_the_Sahara_Desert wrote:
How to Catch a Lion in the Sahara:

(1) THE METHOD OF INVERSIVE GEOMETRY:

We place a spherical cage in the desert and enter it. We then perform an inverse operation with respect to the cage. The lion is then inside the cage and we are outside.

(2) THE SET THEORETIC METHOD:

We observe that the desert is a separable space. It therefore contains an enumerable dense set of points from which can be extracted a sequence having the lion as the limit. We then approach the lion stealthily along this sequence bearing with us suitable equipment.

(3) THE DIRAC METHOD:

We observe that wild lions are ipso facto not observable in the sahara desert. Consequently if there are any lions in the Sahara they are tame. The capture of a tame lion is left as an exercise for the reader.

(4) THE THERMODYNAMIC METHOD:

We construct a semi-permeable membrane which is permeable to everything except lions and sweep it across the sahara.

(5) THE KALRA METHOD:

Make a list of the lion's whereabouts.Classify them into different fuzzy sets. The lion will get confused and fall into your trap.

(6) TOPOLOGICAL METHOD:

We observe that the lion has at least the connectivity of the torus. We transport the desert into four-space. It is then possible to carry out such a transformation that the lion can be returned to 3-space in a knotted condition. He is then helpless.

(7) THE SCHRODINGER METHOD:

At any given moment there is a positive probability that there is a lion in the cage. Sit down and wait.

(8) THE HEISENBERG METHOD:

You will disturb the lion when you observe it before capturing. So keep your eyes closed.

(9) THE EINSTEIN METHOD:

Run in the direction opposite to that of the lion. The relative velocity makes the lion run faster and hence he feels heavier and gets tired.

(10) THE NEWTONIAN METHOD:

Let the lion catch you (let's assume you remain alive here). For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, you will have captured the lion.

(11) THE CARTESIAN METHOD:

Take the origin as close as possible to the lion. Then perform rotation operation again and again. Initially, the lion will feel dizzy. Finally it will fall down.

(12) THE SOFTWARE METHOD:

Make a linked list of all objects in the desert. Then delete the pointers on either side of the lion.(Make sure you are not AFTER the lion.)

(13) THE AUTOMATA METHOD:

Use a Non-Deterministic Finite Automaton with epsilon moves from all states to the final state, and no moves from the final state. The lion will soon enter the final state and be trapped.

(14) THE TIME-COP METHOD:

Use a time-machine and take the entire Sahara back a few years in time. The lion is just a cub now, and all you need is a mouse-trap.

(15) THE INTEGRO-DIFFERENTIAL METHOD

Integrate the Sahara over its entire surface. The lion is now somewhere in the result. Differentiate the result w.r.t the earth's rotation. The resulting value is zero, and the lion is no more.

(16) THE SHAKESPEARE METHOD

Hold the lion still for a moment (I don't care how you do it), and recite Shakespeare`s Hamlet to it. The lion will change from 'To be' to 'Not-to-be'.
----------------------------------------------------------
http://everything2.com/title/How+To+Cat ... ara+Desert
http://trygve.buanes.net/fun/lion.html
http://bjornsmaths.blogspot.com/2005/11 ... esert.html
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: JPL: Cassini Bags Enceladus 'Tigers'

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:31 am

:lol: :rotflol:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:38 pm

The topic is bagging Tigers. Neufer posts about bagging a Lion. I guess neufer's not as "far off" as i thought he was. :wink:

Ann, whats :lol: :rotflol: ??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm

beyond wrote:
The topic is bagging Tigers. Neufer posts about bagging a Lion.
I guess neufer's not as "far off" as i thought he was. :wink:
Lions & Tigers and bare monkeys with red boots, Oh my! :oops:
beyond wrote:Ann, whats :lol: :rotflol: ??

Code: Select all

ROFL/ROTFL         Rolling on (the) floor laughing
ROTFLOL            Rolling on the floor, laughing out loud
ROTFLOL (WTIME)    Rolling on the floor, laughing out loud (With Tears In My Eyes)
---------------------------
AFAIK   As far as I know
AFK  	Away From Keyboard
ASAP    As soon as possible
ATM     At the moment
BFF     Best Friends Forever
BRB     Be right back
BTDT 	Been There Done That
BTW     By the Way
CMIIW   Correct me if I'm wrong [I really have no idea what this means,  Neufer]
CUL     See You Later
DINOSB  Desperately in Need of SNO-BALLS
E2EG    Ear To Ear Grin
FAQ  	Frequently Asked Questions
FUQ  	Frequently Unanswered Questions
FWIW    For What It's Worth
FYI  	For Your Information
GFU     Good for you
GMTA    Great Minds Think Alike
GTG     'Got to go' or 'Good to go'
HF      Have fun
HTH  	Hope That Helps
IDK     I don't know
IIRC    If I recall/remember correctly
IIUC    If I understand correctly
IMO     In My Opinion
IMHO    In My Humble Opinion [I really have no idea what this means,  Neufer]
IOW     In other words
IRL     In real life
ISO     In Search Of
ISP     Internet Service Provider (how you get on-line)
ITA     I totally agree
IYKWIM  If you know what I mean
JK      Just Kidding
KTHX    OK, thanks
KWIM 	Know What I Mean
L8R     Later (as in, see you later)
LBR     Loser beyond repair
LMAO    Laughing my ass off
LMK     Let me know
LOL     Laughing out loud
LTNS    Long time no see
MYOB    Mind your own business
NM      'not much' or 'nevermind'
NP      No problem
NSFW    Not safe for work.
OBO     Or Best Offer
ORLY    Oh really?
OIC     Oh, I See!
OMG     Oh my God
OMW     On my way
OS      Operating system (like Windows XP)
OT      Off topic
OTOH    On The Other Hand
P2P     Peer to peer, or person to person
PITA    Pain in the ass
POV  	Point of View
QFT     Quoted for truth
SFW     Safe for work
TBH     To be honest
TGIF    Thank gods it's Friday
TIA     Thanks in Advance
TIC     Tongue In Cheek
TMI     Too much information
TTFN 	Ta Ta For Now
TTSP    This Too Shall Pass
TTYL    Talk to you later
TYVM 	Thank You Very Much
URL     Universal Resource Locator (Web site address: http://www)
VWP     Very Well Put
WB      Welcome back
WBS     Write Back Soon
WE      Whatever
WRT     With respect/regard to
WP      Well Put
WTB     Wanted to Buy
WTG  	Way To Go
WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get
YAAG    You Are A Genius
YKW     You know what?
YMMV    Your mileage may vary
YW      You're welcome
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: How to bag a tiger on Enceladus

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 pm

neufer wrote:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Joke_-_How_to_Catch_a_Lion_in_the_Sahara_Desert wrote: (10) THE NEWTONIAN METHOD:

Let the lion catch you (let's assume you remain alive here). For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, you will have captured the lion.
Noooo... the equal and opposite reaction is not that you will have captured the lion, but rather that something, either you or the lion, is released. I'd have to put my money on your being released.... after your flesh has been chewed off your bones and the marrow sucked out of them by something, if not by lions.

And you left out the PARENTAL UNIT METHOD, which is to redirect your efforts elsewhere, because lions typically live in savannas and grasslands; they surely don't live in the Sahara. (Aren't they teaching you anything in that school of yours?!) Once you get to the right place, you'll figure out what to do; your parental units have faith in your abilities.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:52 pm

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:
(10) THE NEWTONIAN METHOD: Let the lion catch you (let's assume you remain alive here). For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, you will have captured the lion.
Noooo... the equal and opposite reaction is not that you will have captured the lion, but rather that something, either you or the lion, is released. I'd have to put my money on your being released.... after your flesh has been chewed off your bones and the marrow sucked out of them by something, if not by lions.
I'm hoping for a marrow escape in which the lion ends up only eating my red boots.
owlice wrote:And you left out the PARENTAL UNIT METHOD, which is to redirect your efforts elsewhere, because lions typically live in savannas and grasslands; they surely don't live in the Sahara. (Aren't they teaching you anything in that school of yours?!) Once you get to the right place, you'll figure out what to do; your parental units have faith in your abilities.
http://www.africaguide.com/wildlife/lion.htm wrote:
<<The lion is found throughout the south Sahara desert and in parts of southern and eastern Africa.
They are generally seen on grassy plains, savannas, and dry woodlands but never seen in heavily forested areas.>>
http://www.lionsclubofsavannah.com/ wrote:
<<The Lions Club of Savannah (chartered in 1922) has sold brooms at broom fairs as a charity project since 1950.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion wrote:
<<In relatively recent times the habitat of lions spanned the southern parts of Eurasia, ranging from Greece to India, and most of Africa. Herodotus reported that lions had been common in Greece around 480 BC; they attacked the baggage camels of the Persian king Xerxes on his march through the country. A population of the Asiatic Lion survived until the tenth century in the Caucasus, their last European outpost.>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:03 pm

:: is studiously ignoring (albeit with some difficulty) the possibility of neufer losing his boots which would thus leave him completely unclothed ::

:: has been trying to convince herself the boots really count... ::
neufer wrote:
owlice wrote:And you left out the PARENTAL UNIT METHOD, which is to redirect your efforts elsewhere, because lions typically live in savannas and grasslands; they surely don't live in the Sahara. (Aren't they teaching you anything in that school of yours?!) Once you get to the right place, you'll figure out what to do; your parental units have faith in your abilities.
http://www.africaguide.com/wildlife/lion.htm wrote:
<<The lion is found throughout the south Sahara desert and in parts of southern and eastern Africa.
They are generally seen on grassy plains, savannas, and dry woodlands but never seen in heavily forested areas.>>
There are grassy plains and savannas in the Sahara? Okay, then; I stand corrected!
http://www.lionsclubofsavannah.com/ wrote:
<<The Lions Club of Savannah (chartered in 1922) has sold brooms at broom fairs as a charity project since 1950.>>
Broom fairs... shades of Diagon Alley!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.