InOMN: International Observe the Moon Night

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

InOMN: International Observe the Moon Night

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Observe the Moon Night Goes Global
NASA GSFC | 14 Sept 2010
On September 18, 2010 the world will join the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center's Visitor Center in Greenbelt, Md., as well as other NASA Centers to celebrate the first annual International Observe the Moon Night (InOMN).

"InOMN provides the opportunity for the general public, our partners, and amateur astronomers to learn about lunar science and to view the Moon - many for the first time - through telescopes!" said Brooke Hsu, the Education and Public Outreach lead for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) and principle investigator for InOMN.

What started as a celebration of LRO's successful journey to orbit around the Moon last August has grown to into an astronomical event this year. After LRO's launch, Goddard's Education and Outreach Team hosted the event, "We're at the Moon!" The same day, the event "National Observe the Moon Night," was hosted at NASA's Ames Research Center (ARC) in Moffett Field, Calif. by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite and NASA Lunar Science Institute (NLSI) teams. NLSI is based at NASA Ames. This year, the teams have decided to expand the event by partnering with other NASA institutions, organizations and communities around the world.

"The goal of both of these events was similar: engage the local public and amateur astronomer communities in an event to raise awareness of NASA's involvement in lunar research and exploration. The events were so successful we've decided to do it again. Only better and much, much bigger," said Doris Daou, the director of communications and outreach for NLSI.

For more information visit: observethemoonnight.org
For events near you visit: InOMN Event Descriptions
International Observe the Moon Night | Beyond the International Year of Astronomy
International Observe the Moon Night | National Geographic | Breaking Orbit

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Re: InOMN: International Observe the Moon Night

Post by mexhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 am

La Sociedad Astronómica del Planetario Alfa (SAPA) (The Astronomical Society of the Alfa Planetarium) has also planned the event for the city of Monterrey, hopefully a very popular event, in full celebration of the Bicentennial of Independence in Mexico. (09-16-2010).
http://www.sapa.org.mx/actividades_20100918_luna.html (International Observe the Moon Night)
If I have chance, I will make some photos.
Greetings
César
I come to learn and to have fun.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

BA: Go look at the Moon tonight!

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Go look at the Moon tonight!
Bad Astronomy | 18 Sept 2010
Tonight is the first annual International Observe the Moon Night, an effort spearheaded by folks at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center to get people outside and looking at the sky.

This is a pretty neat idea; the Moon is big and easy to spot, and really cool through even a small telescope. GSFC has partnered with hundreds of groups to set up observing sessions all over the planet, and there’s probably one near you.

They picked a good night: the Moon will be waxing gibbous tonight, meaning it’s halfway between first quarter and full. It’s already up before the Sun sets, so it’s easily visible even during the early evening, and you don’t have to stay up late to see it. There will still be crater shadows, too (at full Moon, the Sun shines straight down on the Moon from our view and you can’t see shadows, making craters difficult to spot).

So go outside and take a look! And even though you won’t be able to see it, remember that we have a space probe orbiting the Moon right now, just starting up its science mission. There’s still a lot to learn about our nearest cosmic neighbor.
While you are out there, take a look a Jupiter and Uranus.

mexhunter
Science Officer

Post by mexhunter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:08 pm

I think the International Watch Night the Moon will have to wait until next year.
Responsible has been an arm of Karl, that brings to mind Alex, just a couple of months ago.
Both men, without astronomy education. :lol:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurri ... _Igor.html
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurri ... _Karl.html
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/4828 ... -LARGE.jpg
Grettings
César

rriverstone
Ensign
AKA: mud

Post by rriverstone » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I put her on my FaceBook page!

mexhunter
Science Officer

Post by mexhunter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Not cleared properly, this suspension is only for my city (Monterrey, Mexico) and its suburbs.
Grettings
César

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:39 am

mexhunter wrote:Not cleared properly, this suspension is only for my city (Monterrey, Mexico) and its suburbs.
Grettings
César
Greetings Ce'sar. I just thought that i would mention that greetings has 2-e's and 1-t. I know that because i looked it up in my Webster's Dictionary.
I'm not all that great at spelling words so i do a lot of dictionary browsing.
Isn't it great that you can travel all over the world in cyber-space and don't need a passport? And you don't have to worry about drinking the water either :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

mexhunter
Science Officer

Post by mexhunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:58 am

Hi beyond:
Will the "T" the easier loading, as an "E" is not easy to find where to fix it? :lol:
Thank you very much for that clarification, I turn to dictionaries and translators, when the matter becomes very technical.
Thank you very much, and really greetings
César

biddie67
Science Officer

RE: International Observe the Moon Night

Post by biddie67 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:44 pm

RE :: International Observe the Moon Night

This is Private Bidde67 reporting in to the Captain of the Moon Observation Night brigade - upon collecting the binoculars and a dog or two, I sat out on the back steps and proceeded to observe said moon - dogs and I did a short howling in celebration and appreciation - it was marvelous!!!

P.S. crazy ?? not likely. eccentric ?? most likely.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: RE: International Observe the Moon Night

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm

biddie67 wrote:RE :: International Observe the Moon Night

This is Private Bidde67 reporting in to the Captain of the Moon Observation Night brigade - upon collecting the binoculars and a dog or two, I sat out on the back steps and proceeded to observe said moon - dogs and I did a short howling in celebration and appreciation - it was marvelous!!!

P.S. crazy ?? not likely. eccentric ?? most likely.
The "FUN" of it all - Priceless :!: :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.