CSIRO: ‘Russian doll’ galaxy reveals black holes’ true power

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

CSIRO: ‘Russian doll’ galaxy reveals black holes’ true power

Post by bystander » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:06 pm

‘Russian doll’ galaxy reveals black holes’ true power
CSIRO | 09 Nov 2010
Following a study of what is in effect a miniature galaxy buried inside a normal-sized one – like a Russian doll – astronomers using a CSIRO telescope have concluded that massive black holes are more powerful than we thought.

An international team of astronomers led by Dr Manfred Pakull at the University of Strasbourg in France has discovered a ‘microquasar’ – a small black hole, weighing only as much as a star, that shoots jets of radio-emitting particles into space.

Called S26, the black hole sits inside a regular galaxy called NGC 7793, which is 13M light-years away in the Southern constellation of Sculptor.

Earlier this year Pakull and colleagues observed S26 with optical and X-ray telescopes (the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope and NASA’s Chandra space telescope).

Now they have made new observations with CSIRO’s Compact Array radio telescope near Narrabri, NSW. These show that S26 is a near-perfect analogue of the much larger ‘radio galaxies’ and ‘radio quasars’.
Radio lobes and X-ray hot spots in the microquasar S26 - R Soria et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: CSIRO: ‘Russian doll’ galaxy reveals black holes’ true p

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Really interesting!

NGC 7793 is one of my favorite galaxies because, you guessed it, it's pretty and blue. 8-)

I found a very nice picture of NGC 7793, but the picture is large, 528 kilobytes, so I'll only post it as a link. But I recommend the picture. Tacke a look at the small reddish feature at a position of about 10.30. I think that may be the emission nebula caused by the jets of the black hole.

http://www.capella-observatory.com/imag ... 793Col.jpg

Ann
Color Commentator