Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Mercury
Ensign
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Post by Mercury » Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm

by Ken Croswell

A wave in one of the rings reveals the size and composition of the planet’s core.

Link: Science News

Mercury
Ensign
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Post by Mercury » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Now published in Nature Astronomy

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18428
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Mercury wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm

by Ken Croswell

A wave in one of the rings reveals the size and composition of the planet’s core.

Link: Science News
Mercury wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Now published in Nature Astronomy
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11553
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:27 am

Mercury wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm
by Ken Croswell

A wave in one of the rings reveals the size and composition of the planet’s core.

Link: Science News
Wow, very interesting indeed! Thanks, Mercury!

Too bad that Jupiter doesn't have the sort of ring system that allows scientists to discover properties of the Jovian core through perturbations of its nearby rings. Oh well, scientists appear to be pretty convinced that Jupiter doesn't have a solid core, and that there are turtles - I mean metallic hydrogen - all the way down.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18428
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Saturn's Core Is Spread Over More Than Half Its Diameter

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Ann wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:27 am
Mercury wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm
by Ken Croswell

A wave in one of the rings reveals the size and composition of the planet’s core.

Link: Science News
Wow, very interesting indeed! Thanks, Mercury!

Too bad that Jupiter doesn't have the sort of ring system that allows scientists to discover properties of the Jovian core through perturbations of its nearby rings. Oh well, scientists appear to be pretty convinced that Jupiter doesn't have a solid core, and that there are turtles - I mean metallic hydrogen - all the way down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter#Internal_structure wrote:
<<Before the early 21st century, most scientists expected Jupiter to either consist of a dense core, a surrounding layer of liquid metallic hydrogen (with some helium) extending outward to about 80% of the radius of the planet, and an outer atmosphere consisting predominantly of molecular hydrogen, or perhaps to have no core at all, consisting instead of denser and denser fluid (predominantly molecular and metallic hydrogen) all the way to the center, depending on whether the planet accreted first as a solid body or collapsed directly from the gaseous protoplanetary disk.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
When the Juno mission arrived in July 2016, it found that Jupiter has a very diffuse core that mixes into its mantle. A possible cause is an impact from a planet of about ten Earth masses a few million years after Jupiter's formation, which would have disrupted an originally solid Jovian core. It is estimated that the core is 30–50% of the planet's radius, and contains heavy elements 7–25 times the mass of Earth.>>
Art Neuendorffer