Search for Life:- SETI

Interesting physics explained with many thought experiments and little math.
SsDd
Science Officer
AKA: Abhi

Search for Life:- SETI

Post by SsDd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 am

The lecture video is embedded below.

Additionally, slides used in the lecture are embedded below, or can also be downloaded directly from here

Questions after the lecture? Please feel free to post them in the same thread.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

*********************************************************************************************

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Re: Search for Life:- SETI

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Hello :)

In the slide 17 (i attach it), there are very little black and white figures, like symbols. I wonder how scientits can get those forms from stars :shock:
I think they get electromagnetism signals, do they? In this case, how can they convert those signals into forms, instead of another forms (or languages)?

If it is done thanks to maths, i am afraid to be unable to understand further. Indeed, i assume the math level required to try and convert signals into some sort of languages is a lot too much high for me. Maybe maths always underlie the decoding of signals from possible extraterrestial intelligente life. In this case, i hope maths are universal enough to be shared by extraterrestial intelligence. It is surprising maths are everywhere! I was told, for example, fractals describe the structure of some galaxies, as well as human lungs, or some plants (like fern, or some seaweeds), although i have no idea how.

I think the way scientists convert the signal they receive into something else is deeply important to enable them to interpret any possible message conveyed by those signals. It would be so interesting to develop other kind of universal "language", like maths. Is there any other way than maths today, likely to enable scientists to decode signals from the Universe ?

Have a very nice day :)

Céline
Attachments
Slide 17 of the lecture
Slide 17 of the lecture
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you! I didn't know it has been an APOD!
So this message was made by human being!
I have just seen the 23 pages of the "Cosmic Call", without previously seing the definition of the "Cosmic Call" along with the APOD picture. So when i reached the page 11, with the Solar System, i was surprised. At page 15, where both a man and a woman are saying hello, i thought it might be a joke.
Well, i hope the message will be caught by extraterrestial intelligent life, in the surroundings of nearby stars :D

Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child