HL image streak not on MK

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

HL image streak not on MK

Post by RJN » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:25 am

The new HL CONCAM3 is returning excellent images last night for the first time. Last night one of them (at least) shows a streak that I am trying to identify. Here is it is:
Note that the image is really upsidedown but I am sure that will be fixed soon.

Anyway the corresponding image from the next Island over, on MK, taken (nearly) during the same time interval (and right side up) does not show the streak:

Therefore, although the streak looks to be a satellite, I think it must be created so low that it is an airplane. Thoughts?

- RJN

tilvi
Ensign

Re: HL image streak not on MK

Post by tilvi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:09 pm

RJN wrote:The new HL CONCAM3 is returning excellent images last night for the first time. Last night one of them (at least) shows a streak that I am trying to identify. Here is it is:

Note that the image is really upsidedown but I am sure that will be fixed soon.

Anyway the corresponding image from the next Island over, on MK, taken (nearly) during the same time interval (and right side up) does not show the streak:

Therefore, although the streak looks to be a satellite, I think it must be created so low that it is an airplane. Thoughts?

- RJN
It seems to me that these are airplace tracks. An image on another night at HL shows a streak almost at the same location, though with some time difference.

Tilvi
Michigan Tech. University, MI.

Sam i am

Streak

Post by Sam i am » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:01 pm

I noticed this streak too.....if you look at the whole sequence for that period of time i also saw that the surrounding buildings features in the periphery of the cam image were breifly illuminated during the passage of this object. If this is in fact the case then the argument for a meteor becomes more valid.
I think the Haleakala web cam is just perfect. As a regular user of the Faulkes Telescope it has greatly enhanced the experience of robotic astronomy....thankyou to those responsible.
Sam Gibbs

lior
Science Officer

Re: Streak

Post by lior » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:32 pm

Sam i am wrote:I noticed this streak too.....if you look at the whole sequence for that period of time i also saw that the surrounding buildings features in the periphery of the cam image were breifly illuminated during the passage of this object. If this is in fact the case then the argument for a meteor becomes more valid.
I think the Haleakala web cam is just perfect. As a regular user of the Faulkes Telescope it has greatly enhanced the experience of robotic astronomy....thankyou to those responsible.
Sam Gibbs

Another feature that can be usefull is real-time all-sky opacity maps. Haleakala will soon start generating some.

lior
Science Officer

Post by lior » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:35 pm

I think that the airplane is just to low, and the two concams are too far from each other to see it.

Also, this airplane is at the north of Haleakala, while MK is at the south. Maybe if the airplane was at the south of Haleakala it would be also visible by MK.

Anyway, the airplane should be no higher than 3 or 4 miles above Haleakala, and 2 or 3 miles above Mauna Kea. I don't think we should expect getting parallax for these kind of cases.

Dan Cordell
Ensign

Post by Dan Cordell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:22 am

It has to be an airplane because of two things:
  • the length of the trail--meteor trails are rarely/never this long
  • The width in pixels--satellite flashes are thinner as they are more precise points of light
Dan Cordell, Giant Space Cow