What did you see in the sky tonight?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Re: What did you see in the sky tonight?

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

While I'm not a hunter I sometimes tag along.
Duck Hunters Moon.jpg
The weather in Notus Idaho was a bit turbulent this weekend.
Weather in Notus.jpg
Notus Weather.jpg
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Just after sunset, November 2. The Moon, Venus, Saturn.
E7_33226p2.jpg
E7_33223p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:19 am

Super moonrise over Pikes Peak, embedded in the Belt of Venus.
E7_33325p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 am

Nice, Chris!

In Malmö, after a week of mostly clear and cold weather, it's going to be rainy and mild next week. But this morning it is still clear. At 5.50 a.m., I contemplated the Super Moon from my balcony, hanging over the roof of a condominium house. It's still all dark here, with no dawn or Belt of Venus in sight, but the Moon was still nicely cream-colored.

Oh, and yes, it looked large, too.
The Lady in the Moon was on her back, staring straight up in the sky and contemplating the expanse of it as she sank toward the horizon.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

What didn't I see in the sky tonight?

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:45 pm

No Venus and no Williams.
I didn't see Venus. :evil:

But Venus is in Sagittarius, and I have never seen that iconic teapot in Swedish skies. As for Williams, I know nothing about her whereabouts.

Venus, move north, please!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: What didn't I see in the sky tonight?

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Ann wrote:
I didn't see Venus. :evil:

But Venus is in Sagittarius, and I have never seen that iconic teapot in Swedish skies.
Art Neuendorffer

Deee92
Ensign

Post by Deee92 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:03 am

I haven't ever really seen the Pleiades, because the sky is almost never dark where I live, but I reckon that the faint, fuzzy little cloud with an occasional twinkle a couple degrees from Aldebaran that I've been seeing (or imagining) is the real deal.
"Oh my God - it's full of stars!"

Deee92
Ensign

Post by Deee92 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 am

I live in New Delhi, India.
It's one of my life's goals to move to some place where the skies are really clear, so much so that I actually do dream about seeing the Milky Way and the Dipper (because I never have), the Pleiades, and all these other beautiful things. I fantasize about being familiar with the night sky, getting a pair of binoculars and a nice little telescope and star gazing every night.
Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could move, when I'm forty, say? Northern parts of Canada maybe? :ssmile:
"Oh my God - it's full of stars!"

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Deee92 wrote:I live in New Delhi, India.
It's one of my life's goals to move to some place where the skies are really clear, so much so that I actually do dream about seeing the Milky Way and the Dipper (because I never have), the Pleiades, and all these other beautiful things. I fantasize about being familiar with the night sky, getting a pair of binoculars and a nice little telescope and star gazing every night.
Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could move, when I'm forty, say? Northern parts of Canada maybe? :ssmile:
No need to go to that that extreme (though the skies can be very dark there.) You can (I'm told) find dark skies a lot closer to home. Check out this link...
Stargazing in India: Top 20 Places for the Space Enthusiasts - Holidify
Then contact these people...
Amateur Astronomers Association Delhi (AAAD)

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 am

I think I saw Venus yesterday! Woo-hoo!

I was leaving home at about 4.15, and the sun had set even though the sky was bright, and there in the west was a nice crescent moon and to the lower right of it - a bright, white, steady light? Could only have been Venus! I saw it!

I later learned that Mars should have been there as well, but although I checked around to see if I could spot anything else near the Moon, I didn't know where to look, and I was in a hurry. Mars eluded me.

But I did see Venus!

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:34 am

This never actually happened. This is a fake, copy pasted image and Jupiter was nowhere near Venus on that date. The last time the Jupiter-Venus-Moon smiley happened, as far as I can tell, was 2008 Dec. 1st and it looked nothing like this.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:13 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I googled "Venus smiley", and, well... :oops:

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 am

Welcome to the post-fact era, where going viral is more important than reality.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:37 am

This is what the conjunction really looked like.

I was just looking for a suitable smiley, to celebrate the fact that I had just seen Venus... wasn't trying to make a statement about a conjunction at all. But you're right, I should have checked that picture before I posted it.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:34 am

It also looked like this. :)

Anyway, it's an important thing to learn that those "fun fact" sites are mostly garbage these days.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:47 pm

This morning, I saw yellow-white Jupiter and, to the lower left of it, a gloriously blue-looking Spica. Just now, I saw a terrific lineup of an elegant crescent Moon, a brilliant Venus, and a somewhat faint but strikingly reddish Mars.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Ann wrote:This morning, I saw yellow-white Jupiter and, to the lower left of it, a gloriously blue-looking Spica.
I've been watching that pair for the last couple of weeks. They're striking, aren't they? If I wake up at 3am or so, they're shining in my window... easily seen even without my glasses on, and almost bright enough to cast shadows! (Venus in the evening is now bright enough to actually cast visible shadows.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm

It's been a bit since I last posted but my wife got me a simple Celestron scope for Christmas and I couldn't be happier!! That night I went out and observed Orion's Belt. Since then, the nights have been very cloudy but I did brave the biting winds to look at the moon last week. It looks so much more exciting now for some strange reason! :) I could see a lot of the details of the craters. It was like looking at a textbook. I had the same feeling seeing the moon through my very own scope as I did when I first saw Saturn at the Lowell Observatory back in 2012.

The other thing I am enjoying is getting to understand my scope and the tech behind it!! Fun stuff!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Good to hear, Chris! Keep watching the skies!

I was looking for the Simpsons X-Files spoof where Leonard Nimoy visits an X-File-like TV show but leaves before the show is over, forcing a pimply teenage stand-in to say, in his crackling voice:

I'm Leonard Nimoy, keep watching the skis! Eh, I mean, the skies!

Couldn't find that video, so I'm just giving you Leonard Nimoy opening that episode:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:02 am

A just risen almost full moon.
IMG_8344.JPG
Well - 10 minutes ago. :roll:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:55 pm

My youngest son and I viewed the moon this morning while he waited for his bus. It was a great time!

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Ann wrote:Good to hear, Chris! Keep watching the skies! Ann
I think I would have made you and Mr. Spock quite very happy of me this weekend!!! :D :D

Soooooooooooo. I awoke rather early Sunday morning and took my dogs out to the bathroom. It was around 6:30 and I noticed the sky was quite rather clear, a very rare occurance these days in Central Pa. The Moon is also full so I took my scope out to gaze at the moon. I lined it up and enjoyed the view. I then noticed two bright "Stars" in the southern sky. I lined it up and...........wait for it..............wait for it.....................

IT WAS JUPITER!!!! Or rather Neptune as I initially thought- because it looked "blue" and I had recently read that it is possible to observe Neptune with the naked eye. I wasn't convinced it was though and I took another look and NOTICED 2 MOONS IN ORBIT!!! I was thrilled!!! It really was a cosmic moment for me!!! Feverishly I opened up my 4mm lens. It was a race against time as the sun was rising quickly. To that date, I had not been able to get that stupid 4mm lens to work for me so I rolled the dice!!!

AND THERE SHE WAS!!! I SAW JUPITER AND 4 OF HER MOONS CLEAR AS DAY!!! I COULD SEE THE "STORMY CLOUDS" of Jupiter and everything. I let out a victorious laugh as a few minutes later the sun took over and there was no more. It was as if a "star viewing perfect storm" had aligned itself to plop down right on my driveway in Mechanicsburg Pa.!!! I got the planet Jupiter, 4 of her moons and that frustrating little 4mm lens to work all in one fell swoop.

Everyone in the house got up on Monday morning and looked at it with me. I couldn't get the clarity with the 4mm I had on Sunday am but nonetheless, I got Jupiter and the 4 moons in the 20mm lens.

YAAYYYYY :)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:48 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:AND THERE SHE WAS!!! I SAW JUPITER AND 4 OF HER MOONS CLEAR AS DAY!!!
Congrats. Jupiter is one of the great telescopic views. It is easily seen in the middle of the day with a telescope, or even just binoculars. What's tricky is finding it if you don't have a goto scope. Watch for daytime conjunctions with the Moon, which can act as a guide for finding it in the day. This often works for Venus, as well (which you can even see with the naked eye in the daytime sky).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:
Ann wrote:Good to hear, Chris! Keep watching the skies! Ann
I think I would have made you and Mr. Spock quite very happy of me this weekend!!! :D :D

Soooooooooooo. I awoke rather early Sunday morning and took my dogs out to the bathroom. It was around 6:30 and I noticed the sky was quite rather clear, a very rare occurance these days in Central Pa. The Moon is also full so I took my scope out to gaze at the moon. I lined it up and enjoyed the view. I then noticed two bright "Stars" in the southern sky. I lined it up and...........wait for it..............wait for it.....................

IT WAS JUPITER!!!! Or rather Neptune as I initially thought- because it looked "blue" and I had recently read that it is possible to observe Neptune with the naked eye. I wasn't convinced it was though and I took another look and NOTICED 2 MOONS IN ORBIT!!! I was thrilled!!! It really was a cosmic moment for me!!! Feverishly I opened up my 4mm lens. It was a race against time as the sun was rising quickly. To that date, I had not been able to get that stupid 4mm lens to work for me so I rolled the dice!!!

AND THERE SHE WAS!!! I SAW JUPITER AND 4 OF HER MOONS CLEAR AS DAY!!! I COULD SEE THE "STORMY CLOUDS" of Jupiter and everything. I let out a victorious laugh as a few minutes later the sun took over and there was no more. It was as if a "star viewing perfect storm" had aligned itself to plop down right on my driveway in Mechanicsburg Pa.!!! I got the planet Jupiter, 4 of her moons and that frustrating little 4mm lens to work all in one fell swoop.

Everyone in the house got up on Monday morning and looked at it with me. I couldn't get the clarity with the 4mm I had on Sunday am but nonetheless, I got Jupiter and the 4 moons in the 20mm lens.

YAAYYYYY :)
Congrats! And live long and prosper! Image By Jove!

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:Or rather Neptune as I initially thought- because it looked "blue" and I had recently read that it is possible to observe Neptune with the naked eye.
FWIW, you're not likely to see Neptune without a telescope. It is barely on the edge of visibility by the most expert observers with extraordinary vision working under the darkest skies. And even for them, there will be no hint of color. This is an object that an expert will only see as another faint star in a field of stars. It will never stand out.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory