Found News: To the Moon

The cosmos at our fingertips.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Found News: To the Moon

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:40 pm

I found a box of newspapers -- complete papers -- today when going through stuff at my mother's house. I brought the box home and photographed some of them. These are in no particular order.
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Found News: To the Moon

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:46 pm

click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:51 pm

click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image
click for larger image

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:56 am

Owlice, i see that you survived your understanding of the expanding baseball, or you would not have been able to photograph all those old newspapers and have posted them. Nixon - $0.08 stamp -- WOW, that's getting to be almost half-a-century ago. I think I'm going to go lay down for a while.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:01 am

beyond, there were older newspapers than these! Newspapers on the Mercury project, for example... and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. :shock: And even farther back.

Old books, too. And today, a lot of old US coins, including a 3¢ piece and a coin referred to as a "half-dime" instead of a nickel. The oldest coins were from the 1830s; fortunately, none of the newspapers were quite that old!!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116240/quotes wrote:
___ Memorable quotes for _The Evening Star_ (1996)

Garrett Breedlove (Jack Nicholson): There she is, the evening star.
She shines first, she shines brightest, and she shines longest.

Aurora Greenway (Shirley MacLaine): I'm surrounded by the most taxing array of lunatics
---------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Star wrote:
<<The Washington Star was founded on December 16, 1852 by Captain Joseph Borrows Tate. Originally headquartered in Washington's "Newspaper Row" on Pennsylvania Avenue, Tate initially gave the paper the name The Daily Evening Star, and it would be renamed several times before becoming Washington Star by the late 1970s.

In 1853, Texas surveyor and newspaper entrepreneur William Douglas Wallach purchased the paper. As the sole owner of the paper for the next 14 years, Wallach built up the paper by capitalizing on reporting of the American Civil War, among other things.

On May 1, 1938, the Star purchased the M. A. Leese Radio Corporation and acquired Washington's oldest radio station, WMAL, in the process. Renamed the Evening Star Broadcasting Company, the 1938 acquisition would figure later in the 1981 demise of the newspaper.

The Star's influence and circulation peaked in the 1950s; it constructed a new printing plant in Southeast Washington capable of printing millions of copies, but found itself unable to cope with changing times. Nearly all top editorial and business staff jobs were held by members of the owning families, including a Kauffmann general manager who had gained a reputation for anti-Semitism, driving away advertisers. Suburbanization and television were accelerating the decline of evening newspapers in favor of morning dailies. The Post meanwhile acquired its morning rival, the Times-Herald, in 1954 and steadily drew readers and advertisers away from the falling Star. By the 1960s, the Post was Washington's leading newspaper.

In 1972, the Star purchased and absorbed one of DC's few remaining competing newspapers, The Washington Daily News. For a short period of time after the merger, both "The Evening Star" and "The Washington Daily News" mastheads appeared on the front page. The paper soon was retitled "Washington Star News" and finally, "The Washington Star" by the late 1970s.

In 1973, the Star was targeted for clandestine purchase by interests close to the South African Apartheid government in its propaganda war, in what became known as the Muldergate Scandal. The Star, whose editorial policy had always been conservative, was seen as favorable to South Africa at the time.

On February 2, 1978, Time Inc. purchased the Star for $20 million. Their flagship magazine, Time, was archrival to Newsweek, which was published by the Washington Post Company, and the purchase seemed natural.

On August 7, 1981, after 130 years, the Washington Star ceased publication. In the bankruptcy sale, the Post purchased the land and buildings owned by the Star, including its printing presses. Many of the people who worked for the Star went to work for the newly formed Washington Times which began operations shortly after the Star went out of business.>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:46 am

neufer wrote:In 1972, the Star purchased and absorbed one of DC's few remaining competing newspapers, The Washington Daily News.
There went my little paper route. :( The News was a tabloid rather than broadsheet, making it an odd-paper-out in the DC news wars.

In the stack o' newspapers is the last Star and also a copy of the Post that day, which carried news of the demise of the Star above the fold on its front page. I'm sure we took the Star because the Post was too liberal for my mother. She was an equal-opportunity publicity hound, however, and called both papers when my younger brother got his first haircut; he was front-page news for both papers. :shock: :roll:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 am

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:In 1972, the Star purchased and absorbed one of DC's few remaining competing newspapers, The Washington Daily News.
There went my little paper route. :( The News was a tabloid rather than broadsheet, making it an odd-paper-out in the DC news wars.

In the stack o' newspapers is the last Star and also a copy of the Post that day, which carried news of the demise of the Star above the fold on its front page. I'm sure we took the Star because the Post was too liberal for my mother. She was an equal-opportunity publicity hound, however, and called both papers when my younger brother got his first haircut; he was front-page news for both papers. :shock: :roll:
She must have saved that one!!! Can you "Post" it?
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Oh, yes, she saved those*, many copies of each; we've been finding them everywhere -- basement, attic, bedrooms. Those papers are still at my mother's house, so yes, I can post them, but not immediately. One of the papers (don't remember which -- probably the Star, though) did a two-page spread (in the A section, IIRC) on this momentous event. I have to think Vince the barber was thrilled with the coverage. (Obviously, my mother was, too.)

*She saved everything... fourth-grade report cards from the 1800s, for a girl who later married a distant cousin, these from DC Public Schools and beautifully handwritten... postage stamps ripped off of envelopes and then stuffed into envelopes, lots and lots of envelopes... cigarette coupons, though she never smoked... my brothers' SAT scores, which provided amusement and amazement when we came across them, but in opposite directions than any one of us would have thought... letters from WWII servicemen, including those from the Marine she married after the war... sweet letters to the aforementioned then-grown-up fourth-grader from the suitor eventually rejected for my cousin... and so on. Everything. The four-room house in which I grew up is packed, quite literally, from floor to rafters. Or was; we're making headway and after many many many hours, have almost finished... in one bedroom.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Hey owlice, looks like you have the makeings of an historical thread with those antique newspapers and 3 cent pieces and half-dimes and who knows what else. You could call it - My Mothers House. I've never seen a half-dime, but of course I've seen many-a-nickle. I know, i know, it's a - 6 of one -- a half-dozen of another, thing.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 pm

My Liberal aunt Ruth (who now resides locally in Cherrydale) was a hoarder of the New York Times up in Tarrytown.

One felt like a mouse in a maze wending through her apartment.

I got real excited once when I discovered a personally autographed copy of Martin Luther King's last book...but, alas, it appears to be a forged autograph (probably by Coretta Scott who was once a pupil of my aunt Ruth).
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:15 pm

beyond wrote:You could call it - My Mothers House.
After going through this experience, I'm tempted to make sure my house burns down before I die, to save my son from having to do this!

If I had a table large enough, I could set that table for dinner for at least 20, and that's without having found my mother's wedding china yet. :shock:
neufer wrote:One felt like a mouse in a maze wending through her apartment.
I am very familiar with that feeling!
neufer wrote:I got real excited once when I discovered a personally autographed copy of Martin Luther King's last book...but, alas, it appears to be a forged autograph (probably by Coretta Scott who was once a pupil of my aunt Ruth).
What did your Aunt Ruth teach Coretta Scott?

Too bad about the autograph. :(

I was excited to find two books by Tennyson, both printed in 1872, so after he'd become Poet Laureate of the UK, but before he became a peer. Both books, The Last Tournament and Gareth and Lynette, are "Author's Edition from Advance Sheets" according to the copyright page. First editions.

The will directed that my brother could take any of the contents of the house he wished, save for a few particular items left to others, so I lay these aside for him to look at. Perhaps these books, one wrapped in tissue and stored on a closet shelf, the other found in a stationery box crammed into an overfull dresser drawer, were worth something. Tennyson! 1872! Author's editions! There are many old books in the house (oh, so many!), but these I thought might be the ones with some monetary value.

I checked prices online. Together, they are worth less than the Sun Gold Malibu Barbie in its original box, a prize in a contest my mother entered, that I found in another session of cleaning.

Malibu Barbie: 1; Tennyson: 0

Also found: possibly the first printing of a poem by Browning (The Vampire), 17 emeralds, a book in German of or about rosaries (and here I'd been told the German side of my family were Lutherans. HA!) with a printing date of April, 1869, hair (whose, I don't know, but enough of it that I have to think it was from more than one person), and teeth. No (real) skeletons (yet), thank goodness!
rosarybook_30.jpg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Oh, and weapons and ammunition, too, including a Civil War saber, a Sheffield military knife (late 1800s or early 1900s), 12-gauge shotgun shells, two of which were standing on end on a bookcase shelf as though they were tchotchkes, .22 bullets casually lying in a drawer in the secretary desk and others in the Yahtzee cup that was sitting out, and my grandfather's rifle. (Other weaponry had been removed from the house after my younger brother's death.) I'm pretty sure there's a sword still in the attic.

I keep hoping to find my adoption papers.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:28 pm

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:I got real excited once when I discovered a personally autographed copy of Martin Luther King's last book...but, alas, it appears to be a forged autograph (probably by Coretta Scott who was once a pupil of my aunt Ruth).
What did your Aunt Ruth teach Coretta Scott?
She says it was Civics which is quite possible though the only info I can locate says that Ruth was just the school librarian.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Where I went to school, the school librarian taught Health to the girls, so I think it perfectly plausible that your Aunt Ruth taught Civics though the school librarian.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 am

Click to view larger image