SKYLIGHTS: Star of the Week

The cosmos at our fingertips.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

SKYLIGHTS: Star of the Week

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am

I regularly visit Professor Kaler's seriously useful sites and especially like this feature. The first part of Skylights gives information about what to see in the night sky in the upcoming week, and then there is a focus on a Star of the Week.

This is an excerpt from the beginning of current edition and I've not put in the multiple wonderful hyperlinks!
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/skylights.html

STAR OF THE WEEK: U 0RI (U Orionis) If you are looking for answers, "abandon hope, all ye who enter here." Perhaps it's not that bad. U Ori is a long period (or Mira Type) deep class M (M6.5) pulsating red giant variable (LPV). Don't confuse it with Upsilon Ori; "U" is a Roman letter variable star designation. Most of the time U Ori is out of sight as it reaches down to thirteenth magnitude (typical visual minimum is 12.6 but it can sink to 13.3) and a spectral class of M9.5, but for a brief time during its 372.4 day period, it can reach fifth magnitude (5.3, and at times as bright as 4.8). The star is way way north in Orion, in the Hunter's upraised arm and club, 12.8 degrees north of Betelgeuse, 0.3 degrees east and a bit south of Chi-1 Ori, and more in the territory of Taurus than Orion. Only three degrees south of the ecliptic, it's regularly occulted by the Moon.

Few of the star's properties seem definitive, including the amount of interstellar absorption. It's usually derived from how red the star appears relative to that found from its class, but U Ori appears too BLUE, perhaps from its surroundings shells.
... read more at the website
The stars of the week are archived at http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/sowlist.html Currently, there are 831...

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: SKYLIGHTS: Star of the Week. April 4, 2014

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Jim Kaler: The sky this week begins:
The Moon starts off our week as a fat waxing crescent as it heads toward its first quarter on the morning of Monday, April 7th, after moonset. The night of Sunday the 6th it will be seen just shy of the phase, the following night just past it. It then brightens in the waxing gibbous phase, full Moon not reached until Tuesday the 15th, when there will be a total eclipse visible throughout North America. ...
This week's Star of the Week: Theta tucanae
Tucked (had to be said) into deep southern Tucana only 19 degrees from the South Celestial Pole, Theta Tuc is the most southerly star in the constellation with a Greek letter. It's hard to know what's more remarkable, Theta Tucanae's setting or its character. Dim to the naked eye (if visible at all), only sixth magnitude (6.13), it has a prominent place just to the west of the Small Magellanic Cloud. Easily visible though 200,000 light years away, the SMC is the second brightest of our two prominent satellite galaxies, the other (surprise) the Large Magellanic Cloud, which is somewhat closer (160,000 light years). Equally good, Theta Tuc is but a degree northeast of 47 Tucanae, one of the greatest globular clusters in our Galaxy. ...
read on at: Jim Kaler - SKYLIGHTS
Previous Skylights are archived here
Star of the Week Archive

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Ann
4725 Å

Re: SKYLIGHTS: Star of the Week

Post by Ann » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Well, Margarita, I can't resist - just because you started talking about U Orionis (not to be confused with Upsilon Orionis), I can't resist talking about Upsilon Orionis. And why? For two reasons. Upsilon Orionis was the Star of the Week quite recently, on March 14, 2014. But also because Upsilon Orionis caught my attention when I was checking up the color indexes of some 5,000 stars in my attempt to find the bluest ones. And yes, Upsilon Orionis turned out to be one of the true sapphires of the sky!

(Yes. I know. The B-V index doesn't tell us how intrinsically blue a star is, just how blue it appears to be from our own vantage point. Still, that is sufficiently interesting to me!)

The B-V index of Ups Ori is -0.26. Extremely few stars look bluer in our skies. The bluest-looking moderately bright star in the heavens is Mu Columba, a 5.1 mag 09/B0/B1 main sequence star about 1300 light-years away. Interestingly, Mu Columba is a runaway star that has been ejected from Orion, from the Iota Orionis region. The B-V index of Mu Columba has been measured as -0.27, -0,29, -0.30 and -0.31. Most likely, the brilliantly blue color of Mu Columba is due to the fact that we probably see it pole on, where it is hotter and bluer than at the equator, and that it is currently located in a region where there is very little dust along the line of sight to us.

But I find the spectral class of Mu Columba interesting, too. Upsilon Orionis has a very similar spectral class, although it appears to be a more massive and luminous star. The uncertain distance to Upsilon Orionis may be around 2,900 light-years, and its luminosity in V light may be as much as 9,000 Suns. That is a lot, and it is unusual. And the bolometric (total) luminosity of Upsilon Orionis may be considerably more than 100,000 Suns.
Jim Kaler wrote:
The star is a whopper, a luminous class B0 dwarf (right at the edge of class O) at a most likely distance of 2960 light years. It's so far away, however, that parallax becomes unreliable, the formal uncertainties placing it as far as 3670 light years or as close as 2350. Upsilon may be part of the Orion OB1c association of hot massive stars, those in the region of Orion's Sword, but even at its statistically closest, it's notably farther than the Sword association's mean distance of 1650 light years. Given how far away it is, it's a bit surprising that Upsilon is dimmed just 0.13 magnitudes by interstellar dust. From its magnitude, the distance, and a temperature of 32,440 Kelvin needed to account for a lot of invisible ultraviolet radiation, we find a huge luminosity of 173,000 times that of the Sun, double that of Betelgeuse and Rigel, though not reaching the level of Theta-1 C. (At its likely closest, the luminosity drops to 116,000 Suns, still pretty impressive.) Temperature and luminosity then conspire to give a radius of 13.2 times solar. The projected equatorial rotation speed of just 15 kilometers per second is low, probably because the rotation pole is more or less directed at us, as for such stars we would expect more than ten times that speed. Theory tells of a huge mass of 30 Suns, with distance uncertainties allowing a range of 25 to 35. The great luminosity forces a wind that blows billions of times the strength of the solar wind. Now about halfway through its 5.5 million year dwarf lifetime, there is little question that Upsilon Orionis is going to blow up someday as a grand supernova, leaving behind a neutron star or even a black hole. Unfortunately, there seems to be no companion to interact with the proceedings and perhaps to tell us more.
So like Mu Columba, Upsilon Orionis is a likely pole-on main sequence star of spectral class B0, and it is very little dimmed by dust. Both stars are blue indeed.

Another remarkably blue B0V-type star is Tau Scorpii. Okay, its B-V index is "only" -0.21, but that is in fact quite blue - believe me, I know! And Tau Sco is likely a pole-on star. Is it located in a dust-free region? I doubt it, because it is not too far away from the great dust clouds of Antares and Rho Ophiuchi, but clearly it is a lot less dust-reddened than most other stars in the same region.

All three B0V stars that I have discussed here have one more thing in common: they appear to be single stars.

And I for one find these blue B0V jewels extraordinary!

Ann

P.S. Read about Upsilon Orionis here, too.
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Here is the link for the above quotation from Professor Kaler about Upsilon Orionis:

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/upsori.html

RJN provides directions about giving citations here, in the Handbook:
Welcome and rules, Section 6 COPYRIGHT
If you want to reference material somewhere else on the web, give a brief summary and link to the rest. People can go take a look at what you're talking about and then return to discuss it further. Please provide links and/or proper citations for all quoted material.

He links to
the Wikipedia article on Citation, which I excerpt from here
Citation has several important purposes: to uphold intellectual honesty (or avoiding plagiarism),[1] to attribute prior or unoriginal work and ideas to the correct sources, to allow the reader to determine independently whether the referenced material supports the author's argument in the claimed way, and to help the reader gauge the strength and validity of the material the author has used.
And, I agree, Ups ori is a fascinating star and Jim Kaler's description is helpful.
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Margarita wrote:
Here is the link for the above quotation from Professor Kaler about Upsilon Orionis:

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/upsori.html
Absolutely, Margarita. I don't usually forget it. Thanks for putting it there for me.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:12 pm

The star of the week in Skylights this week is 5 Ursae Minoris
5 UMI
At fourth magnitude (4.25), number 5 in the Flamsteed list of numbered stars in Ursa Minor was obviously too faint for Bayer to make note of via Greek letter (though he and others indeed lettered fainter ones). Five Ursae Minoris may also be among the more prominent stars that everybody with a dark sky sees but pays no attention to. It's supremely easy to find and, given its position of only 14 degrees from the North Celestial Pole, it's visible from nearly everywhere north of 14 degrees north latitude any time of night. The front bowl stars of the Big Dipper, Merak and Dubhe (Beta and Alpha UMa), are famed as the Pointers to Polaris, the North Star. Similarly, the front bowl stars of the Little Dipper, Pherkad and Kochab (Beta and Gamma UMi), point right to 5 UMi. Only it's a lot closer, just 2 degrees north-northeast of second magnitude Kochab. It's so close that it might make a good addition to the Little Dipper as a drop of water flying off its lip. ...
The invaluable Ashland Astronomy Studio has a map at this link which has 5 UMi circled and it does, indeed, resemble a drop of water flying off the lip of the Little Dipper.

Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:48 pm

This week's star of the week in Skylights is
Excerpt from: CHI CNC (Chi Cancri)
Photo by Jim Kaler. A full resolution unlabelled version can be found here: http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/cnc-jup.jpg

Though only fifth magnitude (5.14), Chi Cancri nevertheless is part of the outline (at least that used here; others differ) of Cancer, the Crab, whose fame comes not from its bright stars but from its position in the ancient Zodiac,
... a class F (F6) hydrogen-fusing dwarf, it is not all that dissimilar from the Sun. ...
Chi Cancri is just under the "rotation break" at class F5, hotter than which stars rotate much more rapidly as a result of a decline in their outer convective layers, which generate magnetic fields that, coupled with the stars' winds, slow them down. Chi Cnc rotates with a projected equatorial speed of just 5 kilometers per second, giving it a rotation period under 13 days. Yet the star seems to have no magnetic activity, which may have died away as a result of age. Bright dwarfs like Chi Cnc are prime targets for planet searches. Yet the star seems devoid. ...
Not only are there no planets (at least found), there are no companions either, the star quite alone in a lonely spot in the Zodiacal Crab. 

Written byJim Kaler 4/18/14.
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am

This week's Star of the Week is HR 5171 or V766 Cen, a yellow hypergiant.
Jim Kaler wrote:
Too far away for parallax, the star's distance is estimated from its Galactic location and other considerations to be nearly 12,000 light years. A temperature of around 4800 Kelvin adds a bit of infrared radiation to the total, which with distance gives a luminosity of 470,000 times that of the Sun and a radius 0f 980 solar or 4.6 Astronomical Units, nearly 90 percent the size of Jupiter's orbit. Interferometer measures suggest that HR 5171A may be even larger, 1315 times solar (6.1 AU, 12 percent BIGGER than Jupiter's orbit), which with distance and a temperature of 5000 Kelvin yields a luminosity of closer to a million Suns. Any way we look at it, the birth mass seems to be around 39 Suns, placing it into the realm of the most massive stars in the Galaxy. Given mass loss through strong winds, the mass must now be a lot less (stars always ending their lives with much less mass than they started with). A high abundance of sodium in the HR 5171A's atmosphere suggests that it is in the later stages of core fusion (beyond that of helium, the sodium cycled upward) and that the star was once a true red supergiant that has evolved beyond that state. Perhaps it is becoming a "Luminous Blue Variable" like P Cygni or Eta Carinae, or a Wolf-Rayet star (one with a stripped core and thick envelope from mass loss) like that in Gamma-2 Velorum.
There is more, so visit Jim Kaler's page and read about this fantastic hypergiant star!

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 pm

As they say in the comics, "Impressive!"
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Week beginning March 2, 2014
109 VIR (109 Virginis). Bright fourth magnitude (3.73), part of the outline of the constellation Virgo, we might still tend to roll over 109 Virginis (best known by its Flamsteed number) as just another white class A hydrogen-fusing dwarf (A0 at that, same as Vega), its distance 134.5 light years, accurate to a mere one light year. Just two degrees north of the celestial equator and the second-most-easterly numbered star in Virgo, the star is beaten (as expected) only by 110 Vir, a dimmer (magnitude 4.40) ordinary class K (K0.5) orange giant 195 light years away. We tend to disparage such stars as overly common, but without them many of the constellation figures would dissolve; cut out the class B dwarfs too and there would not be much left at all. 109 Vir is also notable as an old photometric standard, one used to calibrate the spectral brightness of other stars. But there is much more.

Read about this "more" at
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/109vir.html
Week beginning March 9, 2014

STAR OF THE WEEK:
N VEL (N Velorum). Bayer could not see most of the stars of Argo. The Greek letters were assigned in the 1700s by that intrepid explorer of the southern skies, Nicolas de Lacaille. Breaking giant Argo into three parts, he distributed Greek letters among them, but then assigned Roman letters, first lower case and then upper case, within each of them. It's a testimony to the plethora of bright stars in Vela (the Sails: the other parts Carina, the Keel, and Puppis, the Stern) that third magnitude (3.13) N Velorum was placed so far down on the list. Anywhere else it would probably be a notable part of the constellation outline.

Read on at
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/Nvel.html

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Star of the Week: a Car

An innocuous-looking blue star deep in constellation Carina might be a future supernova type Ia (an exploding white dwarf in a binary system) - or otherwise a supernova type II (a core-collapse supernova).
Jim Kaler wrote:
a CAR (a Carinae). Yes, a third magnitude (ok just barely, 3.44, but see below) star without a Greek letter, as applied across the board in Argo (the Ship) by Nicolas de Lacaille, not Bayer. Lacaille continued in each of Argo's parts with lower case Roman letters, so "a" Car (in Carina, the Keel of Argo) just barely missed Greek-letter status, as it directly follows brighter Omega Carinae. It might be less confusing to use the name from the Bright Star Catalogue, HR 3659, but out of respect for tradition we'll continue with "a Car." As bright as it is, the star is not a part of the constellation's outline. But that's really no surprise as it's just 0.7 degree west-northwest of much brighter second magnitude Aspidiske (Iota Car), which places it just within the boundaries of the False Cross made of Iota and Epsilon Carinae and Delta and Kappa Velorum. The False Cross can fool the observer into thinking it's the Southern Cross, which lies well to the east. Yet as a blue-white class B (B2) subgiant-dwarf (classed sort of in the middle) 447 light years away (give or take 16), a Car can easily hold its own. The star is clearly double, with a short orbital period of 6.7447 days. But the binary's nature is ambiguous. At the extremes, the two may be equal, or one star may provide essentially all the light. In either case, the binary is an "ellipsoidal" variable that changes between magnitudes 3.20 and 3.56, rotation and tidal forces distorting the stellar shapes so that as the stars orbit they present different angular sizes to us. With a temperature of 21,180 Kelvin, and allowing for a slight dimming of 0.21 magnitudes by interstellar dust, it or they shine with the light of 5060 Suns, most of it in the invisible ultraviolet. If we are seeing just one star, the radius is 5.3 times solar, and the rotation period (from an equatorial speed of at least 35 kilometers per second) is under 7.6 days, which is consistent with the orbital period and tidal locking (the rotation and orbital periods the same). Theory then shows that the mass is 8.5 Suns, that the star is about midway through its dwarf lifetime of around 30 million years, and that it's near the cusp above which stars explode as supernovae. Even if it becomes a massive white dwarf, it might get enough mass flowing from the companion that it will still collapse and blow up, as from Kepler's Laws, the two are just 0.14 Astronomical Units apart. Assuming equality between the two gives a rotation period of under 5.4 days (less than the orbital period), each then with masses of 7.5 Suns. They would produce a double white dwarf that if merged through tides and prior evolution could still cause a blowup. And all this for a seemingly innocuous star that one hardly notices within the great star clouds of Carina.
Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun May 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Jim Kaler's Star of the Week, for the week beginning March 23, CU Virginis
How can we turn down a star with the name "CU" Virginis? Sadly, "CU" does not honor Champaign-Urbana, home of the University of Illinois (and of HAL in the seminal movie "2001: A Space Odyssey"), but is a variable star name, the fifth magnitude (nominally 5.01) star in eastern Virgo changing between 4.98 and 5.05 every 0.52 days. ... CU Virginis has been described as "one of the most enigmatic stars on the upper main (dwarf) sequence." A white, class A (A0p) hydrogen-fusing dwarf (the "p" standing for "peculiar") 258 light years away (give or take 5), CU Vir is a magnetic variable with greatly enhanced atmospheric silicon, and falls into the general class of "Alpha-2 Canum Venaticorum stars" (which occur among the F, A, and B dwarfs). They are similar to the "metallic-line stars," in which some elements are lofted to the surface by radiation, while others sink under the force of gravity. In stars like Alpha-2 CVn and CU Vir, there is also a strong magnetic field that concentrates enhanced elements into large, more or less polar starspots.

... The rest of the article, with useful hyperlinks, can be read at:
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/cuvir.html

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm sorry about being difficult here, but CU Virginis is not a white star, but a quite blue one. Its Johnson B-V index is -0.118, which is bluer than such B-type stars as Regulus and Alkaid (Alkaid is the end star of the handle of the Big Dipper). Although I'm not absolutely certain, I would say that a B-V index of -0.118 might suggest a star of spectral class B6 or even B5. On the other hand, CU Virginis is not extremely bright. Its V luminosity corresponds to 52 or 53 times the Sun, similar to the normal A0-type star Vega.

Very unsurprisingly, CU Virginis contains enhanced levels of silicon. Stars that are silicon-enhanced are typically bluer than their assigned spectral classes imply. A perfect example of a really very blue and very silicon-enhanced star that is nevertheless classified as an A0-type star (A0pSi) is IQ Auriga, the bluest of all A-type stars.

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Ann wrote:I'm sorry about being difficult here, but CU Virginis is not a white star, but a quite blue one.
Don't mess with blue stars y'all, 'cuz Ann 'ill get all up in yo face. :lol2:

I'm not doubting you Ann, and I meant and mean no disrespect, but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Jargon about Johnson B-V index and such is very precise to be sure, but seeing is believing, usually. Could you please show us a photo of CU Vir in all it's allegged resplendent blueness, por favor?

Don't mess with Texas too. :ssmile:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Hey, I'd like to, but I can find no picture of it! :(

You may take a look at IQ Aurigae instead, the bluest of all A-type stars. Open this picture if you dare - it's a 1.2 Mb image! IQ Aurigae is at pretty much dead center, and it looks visibly bluer than any other star here.

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 am

My old clunky 2nd hand iPad handled that file just fine. So, you probably already said so, but which is bluer, CU Vir or IQ Aur?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 26, 2014 1:39 am

Oh, IQ Aurigae is bluer than CU Virginis. Both, however, are bluer than a lot of B-type stars. The bluer a star is, the more negative is its B-V index. The B-V index of IQ Aurigae is -0.167, which is very blue. CU Virginis is -0.118, which is really not shabby. Both these stars are classified as A0-type stars. Regulus, a B8 (or B7)-type star, is -0.087. Rigel, another B8-type star, though a supergiant one, is -0.030. Alkaid, a B3-type main sequence star, is -0.099.

If you take a look at that picture of IQ Aurigae that I sent a link to, you can see that IQ Aurigae is part of an asterism - a seeming cluster, which is however just a number of stars at different distances from us - you can see a star that is immediately to the right of IQ Aurigae, 17 Aurigae. This star is classified as a B-type star, although just barely - its spectral class is B9.5V. It does a negative B-V index, -0.043, but it is clearly less blue than A0pSi star IQ Aurigae.

Many B-type stars are less blue than both CU Viriginis and IQ Aurigae, the silicon-enhanced A-type stars.

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon May 26, 2014 3:11 am

Ann wrote:Oh, IQ Aurigae is bluer than CU Virginis. Both, however, are bluer than a lot of B-type stars. The bluer a star is, the more negative is its B-V index. The B-V index of IQ Aurigae is -0.167, which is very blue. CU Virginis is -0.118, which is really not shabby. Both these stars are classified as A0-type stars. Regulus, a B8 (or B7)-type star, is -0.087. Rigel, another B8-type star, though a supergiant one, is -0.030. Alkaid, a B3-type main sequence star, is -0.099.

If you take a look at that picture of IQ Aurigae that I sent a link to, you can see that IQ Aurigae is part of an asterism - a seeming cluster, which is however just a number of stars at different distances from us - you can see a star that is immediately to the right of IQ Aurigae, 17 Aurigae. This star is classified as a B-type star, although just barely - its spectral class is B9.5V. It does a negative B-V index, -0.043, but it is clearly less blue than A0pSi star IQ Aurigae.

Many B-type stars are less blue than both CU Viriginis and IQ Aurigae, the silicon-enhanced A-type stars.

Ann
Thanks Ann. You've both educated and convinced me. Any star with a color index falling between IQ and 17 Aug would have to be predominately blue.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 26, 2014 3:51 am

Is B-V index really the end-all to how a star looks optically? Here are stars with similar B-V indexes in SIMBAD:
28 Vul
17 Vul
N Pup

And then we have CU Vir.

I've got no idea how the DSS imagery is processed for those thumbnails but I'd like to think it's been done in a way that doesn't transform the colors relative from object to another too much. I'd also think twice before disagreeing with Kaler on such a matter. It is probably called a peculiar star for a good reason.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 26, 2014 3:57 am

When I looked at stars so carefully through a telescope, I found that their optical appearance often, though not absolutely always, matched their B-V indexes.

Note, however, that all those three stars actually have bluer B-V indexes than CU Virginis. They really should look bluer.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 am

I don't think the DSS imagery can be relied upon much, anyway. Plus, it's a variable star so if both images were taken sufficiently far apart that could affect the image. It seems to me that one would have to look at the star through a telescope to make the determination, then. I'm guessing Kaler has such a resource at hand...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 31, 2014 8:52 am

DELTA PAV (Delta Pavonis). It's always fascinating to see among the stars one like the Sun, some kind of solar clone, and then wonder if there are any earths like ours. It's also fascinating to see one as bright as fourth magnitude (3.56, almost third), one prominent enough to be part of its constellation outline (Pavo, the Peacock), one deep in the southern hemisphere, the star but 24 degrees from the South Celestial Pole. Like the Sun it's a class G star, though cooler (G6-8, probably the latter), but unlike the Sun it's classed spectrally as a subgiant, which at first implies that it has just finished its career as a hydrogen-fusing dwarf or at least will soon. Of additional interest, it's not far from another star with solar similarities, Gamma Pavonis, an F6 dwarf. To be so visually bright for its class, the star has to be close to us, and at just 19.92 light years (with a probable error of only 0.02 light years) it most certainly is. Delta Pav's proximity also gives it a rapid motion across the sky relative to the background stars, a whopping (it's all relative) 1.66 seconds of arc per year, something that could be easily noted in a small telescope over a lifetime of observing.
Read more about the Star of the Week for the week beginning 30th March 2014 at:
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/deltapav.html
And remember that Professor Kaler gives a run through of the week to come in the sky in his regular weekly SKYLIGHTS
I love reading it every week as much for his own photos,
set as hyperlinks to illustrate what he is saying, as for the information. (Which is, of course, excellent. :) )

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 31, 2014 11:57 am

So, professor Kaler includes 'his homework' in his weekly SKYLIGHTS. That's nice of him.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:55 am

I read the discussion about CU Virginis with interest, having only seen it when I posted this current week's Star of the Week.
Checking with Jim Kaler, he said that the version I posted a quote from has been superseded, as the term "white" causes confusion.
Wikipedia is useful on the difference between conventional and apparent colours in star classification
The conventional color descriptions are traditional in astronomy, and represent colors relative to the mean color of an A-class star which is considered to be white. The apparent color descriptions are what the observer would see if trying to describe the stars under a dark sky without aid to the eye, or with binoculars
The table of the Harvard spectral classification scheme at Wikipedia attempts to reproduce these colours. This image is a copy of that table in an earlier form (the one at Wikipedia now includes classes L, T and Y.) Regarding CU Virginis - it really is a most intriguing star.
SIMBAD gives its B and V values as B 4.90 and V 5.02, whereas the Hipparcos Catalogue seems to give B 4.859 and V 4.972. Obviously, it is both variable and "peculiar" and this shows!

M

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 am

MargaritaMc wrote:I read the discussion about CU Virginis with interest, having only seen it when I posted this current week's Star of the Week.
Checking with Jim Kaler, he said that the version I posted a quote from has been superseded, as the term "white" causes confusion.
So then Ann's objection to this star being called white was right, which I don't find surprising. What does the updated version say as to CU Vir's color?