Solar Observation

The cosmos at our fingertips.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Solar Observation

Post by geckzilla » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Is anyone going to watch the upcoming solar eclipse? Here's an anecdote I thought was worth sharing.

Oliver Czernetz wrote about another solar observer's damaged camera after the filter fell off during the session. Things got a bit melty. Ouch!
Oliver Czernetz wrote:Some people asked me a thing or two lately about the upcoming solar eclipse (20.03.2015), and there's always the question how strong/powerfull or dangerous our Sun is (especially if you plan to use a scope to observe). Well, here's what it does to your DSLR Cam (this guy used a filter, but it fell off during the session). Now imagine your eye, instead of this cam...
That's a serious topic kids. Watching our Sun close up is amazing, but make sure you can do it more often, not only ONCE.. Use Filters + protect you eyes! Thanks for sharing this image Danny!
Follow the link for a picture.
https://www.facebook.com/oliver.czernet ... 5118741929
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Re: Solar Observation

Post by Markus Schwarz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for bringing this up, geck. I am currently in the UK and might have a chance of experiencing a partial eclipse. My cousin trying to organise some goggles, but the demand is rather high at the moment. In case he can't get some, is there some way to improvise a filter?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Solar Observation

Post by geckzilla » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 am

You can use a welder's helmet, apparently. Everyone who can't get a filter just has to use the old pinhole trick.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.