Dark matter / energy

The cosmos at our fingertips.
THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Dark matter / energy

Post by THX1138 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:42 pm

I just had a thought, I'm wondering if there is any correlation between the amount of dark matter / energy surrounding some galaxies and the sizes of the black holes in their centers namely could this unknown stuff be connected to the jets we've seen spewing from one back hole or another?
I've come to the conclusion that when i said i wanted to be somebody when i grew up i probably should have been more specific

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Dark matter / energy

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:05 pm

THX1138 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:42 pm
I just had a thought, I'm wondering if there is any correlation between the amount of dark matter / energy surrounding some galaxies and the sizes of the black holes in their centers namely could this unknown stuff be connected to the jets we've seen spewing from one back hole or another?
First of all, there's no connection between dark matter and dark energy, other than the word "dark". Dark matter is, almost certainly, matter (particles). Dark energy is a property of the Universe that either modifies gravity over long distances, or counters it.

Galaxies are surrounded by halos of dark matter. There is no reason to think this has anything to do with central black holes. Jets are well understood at a basic level, even if many questions remain. And all they are doing is ejecting ordinary matter before it can fall into the black hole.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com