Kepler

The cosmos at our fingertips.
FloridaMike
Science Officer

Re: Kepler

Post by FloridaMike » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:So, since we can take this as evidence that the universe has been cranking out new planetary systems for well over 10 billion years, Fermi's paradox is stronger now than when he first asked:
Where is everybody?
(By "everybody" he meant alien civilizations.)

I am wondering if a planetary system this old has the necessary chemistry to support life. That is, were there enough supernovas nearby to provide the necessary elements before this system formed?
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:00 am

FloridaMike wrote:I am wondering if a planetary system this old has the necessary chemistry to support life. That is, were there enough supernovas nearby to provide the necessary elements before this system formed?
That's a reasonable question Mike. But there were many very massive stars popping off as supernovae in those early times when these planets formed, so plenty of metals (elements heavier than helium) where being injected into interstellar space back then. Probably too many SN in fact for wide spread habitability that far back, I would think.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
FloridaMike wrote:I am wondering if a planetary system this old has the necessary chemistry to support life. That is, were there enough supernovas nearby to provide the necessary elements before this system formed?
That's a reasonable question Mike. But there were many very massive stars popping off as supernovae in those early times when these planets formed, so plenty of metals (elements heavier than helium) where being injected into interstellar space back then. Probably too many SN in fact for wide spread habitability that far back, I would think.
An add up to that.

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34214

Among other things, they found that based on the likely average incidence of GRBs happening close enough, calculations showed a 60 percent likelihood that a GRB has caused an extinction event here on Earth within just the past billion years. They also found that planets are likely to be less impacted by GRBs the farther away from the center of their galaxy they are simply because there are less such events occurring due to the existence of fewer stars in general. They also noted that it appears unlikel ... ry common.

So, all life in the univers might only had appear 5 billion years ago. If there are life elsewhere in the univers it could not be a lot older then here on earth (May be younger if earth life appear soon). If all civilisation are about the same age, then we might be among the first one and contact between civilisation is rare because civilisation are rare for now. Just a thought.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 am

I have to admit that what Doum has just shared about the GRB hazard in the early universe sort of cancels out the point I was attempting to make. Fermi's Paradox asks us to find reasons why we appear to be alone in the universe. Even though planets have been around for a very long time, SAFE planets evidently are a more recent development.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:I have to admit that what Doum has just shared about the GRB hazard in the early universe sort of cancels out the point I was attempting to make. Fermi's Paradox asks us to find reasons why we appear to be alone in the universe. Even though planets have been around for a very long time, SAFE planets evidently are a more recent development.
I'm skeptical. If Earth is any indicator, life is very robust. Major extinction events still leave plenty of life, possibly stimulate mutations, and certainly open up lots of new niches. Sea life in particular should be quite resilient to GRBs.

I suspect that the resolution to the Fermi Paradox has a lot more to do with the incidence of technological species than of life itself.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:I have to admit that what Doum has just shared about the GRB hazard in the early universe sort of cancels out the point I was attempting to make. Fermi's Paradox asks us to find reasons why we appear to be alone in the universe. Even though planets have been around for a very long time, SAFE planets evidently are a more recent development.
I'm skeptical. If Earth is any indicator, life is very robust. Major extinction events still leave plenty of life, possibly stimulate mutations, and certainly open up lots of new niches. Sea life in particular should be quite resilient to GRBs.

I suspect that the resolution to the Fermi Paradox has a lot more to do with the incidence of technological species than of life itself.
I'm still of the completely subjective opinion that advanced life is rare in the universe. The reason for my belief is that there are so many factors that have gone into making advanced life possible on the Earth. There is the well-behaved (and more-massive-than average) star, there are the nice relatively circular orbits of the major planets, there is the fact that the Sun has no companion, the fact that it is a slow rotator and has a very adequate but not violently flaring magnetic field, there is the fact that the Earth has its own robust magnetic field (in contrast to similarly-sized and almost similarly-massive Venus) to protect its atmosphere, there is the fact that the axis of the Earth is tilted by about 25 degrees, so that our planet has seasons and escapes the fate of getting relentlessly hot in certain places and incredibly cold in others, there is the fact that the Earth has plate tectonics that continually recycle material on its surface, there is the fact that the Earth has the perfect amount of liquid surface water (which means that the Earth has both oceans and land masses), there is the fact that the Earth has a water precipitation cycle, there is the fact that the Earth has maintained a relatively constant temperature and the presence of liquid surface water (except during its Snowball Earth phase) for most of its four and a half billion year existence.

And of course, there is the unexplained and perhaps just lucky or random emergence of complex life forms some 650 million years ago or so. And there is the perhaps equally lucky or random much later emergence of a species that could both think, speak, cooperate and manipulate its surroundings with its own body.

So many things could have gone wrong here. I still think it is very unusual that all these positive factors are present at the same time in any planetary system to create such benign conditions for life and, not least, for fragile advanced life. But I agree with Chris that simple life forms are likely to form much, much more easily, and that they may be present on (or more likely below the surfaces of) many planets.

Then again, I don't think it was these little critters that BDanielMayfield was talking about, or that it was bacteria-like life forms that Fermi referred to when he formulated his paradox.

Ann
Color Commentator

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Ann wrote:... So many things could have gone wrong here. I still think it is very unusual that all these positive factors are present at the same time in any planetary system to create such benign conditions for life and, not least, for fragile advanced life. But I agree with Chris that simple life forms are likely to form much, much more easily, and that they may be present on (or more likely below the surfaces of) many planets.
All true, but it's a big universe out there, and even a big galaxy. With multiple planets likely around most of the 200 billion or so stars in the Milky Way, I find it absolutely compelling that life, intelligent tool-wielding life, has certainly occurred in many places. The trouble is, it's a big galaxy! So those intelligent beings may still be much too far away to communicate with, let alone visit. Even if I'm right, and there's lots of other species out there, it's going to remain a lonely galaxy.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm

rstevenson wrote:All true, but it's a big universe out there, and even a big galaxy. With multiple planets likely around most of the 200 billion or so stars in the Milky Way, I find it absolutely compelling that life, intelligent tool-wielding life, has certainly occurred in many places. The trouble is, it's a big galaxy! So those intelligent beings may still be much too far away to communicate with, let alone visit. Even if I'm right, and there's lots of other species out there, it's going to remain a lonely galaxy.
I suspect simple life is common (like that which was on Earth for more than a billion years). Complex life is much less common, but still numerous for the reason you suggest: it's a big galaxy. If even a fraction of a percent of systems have complex life, it still amounts to a large number in absolute terms. I think complex life may frequently produce highly intelligent life, but where that life is tool-using, I think it is rare in the galaxy because it may be inherently unstable. If a technological civilization only has a lifetime measured in a few thousand years, we're not going to find very many at any one time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:24 am

Ann wrote:I'm still of the completely subjective opinion that advanced life is rare in the universe. The reason for my belief is that there are so many factors that have gone into making advanced life possible on the Earth. There is the well-behaved (and more-massive-than average) star, there are the nice relatively circular orbits of the major planets, there is the fact that the Sun has no companion, the fact that it is a slow rotator and has a very adequate but not violently flaring magnetic field, there is the fact that the Earth has its own robust magnetic field (in contrast to similarly-sized and almost similarly-massive Venus) to protect its atmosphere, there is the fact that the axis of the Earth is tilted by about 25 degrees, so that our planet has seasons and escapes the fate of getting relentlessly hot in certain places and incredibly cold in others, there is the fact that the Earth has plate tectonics that continually recycle material on its surface, there is the fact that the Earth has the perfect amount of liquid surface water (which means that the Earth has both oceans and land masses), there is the fact that the Earth has a water precipitation cycle, there is the fact that the Earth has maintained a relatively constant temperature and the presence of liquid surface water (except during its Snowball Earth phase) for most of its four and a half billion year existence.
To Ann's nice long list of things that have made our Earth so nice for us I would add the presence of our large Moon that stabilizes Earth's axial tilt and helps to keep our oceans in motion, and the fact that we have a gas giant in the right orbit to reduce the threat of major impacts.
And of course, there is the unexplained and perhaps just lucky or random emergence of complex life forms some 650 million years ago or so.
Ah, the Cambrian Explosion of multicellular, complex life. There is an explanation that doesn't involve luck or random chance for these things, and for ...
... the perhaps equally lucky or random much later emergence of a species that could both think, speak, cooperate and manipulate its surroundings with its own body.
But stating the explanaton is not permitted here.
Then again, I don't think it was these little critters that BDanielMayfield was talking about, or that it was bacteria-like life forms that Fermi referred to when he formulated his paradox.

Ann
No Ann, it wasn't, for either myself or Enrico Fermi.

Bruce

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:43 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: ....Ah, the Cambrian Explosion of multicellular, complex life. There is an explanation that doesn't involve luck or random chance for these things, and for ...

...But stating the explanaton is not permitted here...
Of course it is, the planet had just emerged from an extreme extinction event. See Snowball earth
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:53 am

BBC TV Horizon programme last night was about the origins of planets, and how those gas/ice giants in our Solar System cannot have started where they are now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... lar-system for those of you who can watch it on iPlayer.

The programme used Kepler's Orrery, a video display of all (many?) of the extrasolar planets discovered by Kepler, all on screen at once, animated in scale to show their orbits.
It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZVvYm6KKM

If you haven't seen it before, the Solar System is top left, showing only the Inner Planets.
And the point, of the Orrery and the Horizon, is that there are so many Hot Jupiters!

This would be a great APOD!

John

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 pm

JohnD wrote:BBC TV Horizon programme last night was about the origins of planets, and how those gas/ice giants in our Solar System cannot have started where they are now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... lar-system for those of you who can watch it on iPlayer.

The programme used Kepler's Orrery, a video display of all (many?) of the extrasolar planets discovered by Kepler, all on screen at once, animated in scale to show their orbits.
It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZVvYm6KKM

If you haven't seen it before, the Solar System is top left, showing only the Inner Planets.
And the point, of the Orrery and the Horizon, is that there are so many Hot Jupiters!

This would be a great APOD!

John
Loved that youtube clip John. Looked like Earth isn't the only planet suffering from "Glow Ball" warming. :)
Glow Ball.jpg
Glow Ball.jpg (4.29 KiB) Viewed 41112 times
Make Mars not Wars

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote: Loved that youtube clip John. Looked like Earth isn't the only planet suffering from "Glow Ball" warming. :)
Glow Ball.jpg
I don't understand your comment.
New theories suggest that in our very distant past, Jupiter and the other giant planets formed close to the Sun, and then moved outwards to their present orbits.
The Kepler data show systems where that didn't happen.
What has that to do with "Glow Balls"? Which mean nothing in this context or any other, certainly not astronomical.
Not helpful, Ron.

JOhn

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:40 pm

JohnD wrote:
Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote: Loved that youtube clip John. Looked like Earth isn't the only planet suffering from "Glow Ball" warming. :)
Glow Ball.jpg
I don't understand your comment.
New theories suggest that in our very distant past, Jupiter and the other giant planets formed close to the Sun, and then moved outwards to their present orbits.
The Kepler data show systems where that didn't happen.
What has that to do with "Glow Balls"? Which mean nothing in this context or any other, certainly not astronomical.
Not helpful, Ron.

JOhn
Understand your sentiment. I was attempting to make the statement that Earth is going the way of the Hot Jupiters unless we change our ways with respect to our atmosphere. Humor and seriousness often mix like oil and water and you are correct to point that out.

I really did like the YouTube clip though and agree it would make an interesting APOD. It's time I refrain from commenting satirically to serious points. Please accept my apology.
Make Mars not Wars

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Sorry, Ron, for being so slow.
I've fallen through the same manhole,trying to be ironic.

JOhn

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 pm

John I sometimes wonder if I'm actually an Aspie-Pharmacist just happily hanging around such a fun, new playground. I suspect recess is getting close to being over though. :( I mean – I am getting older. Truth is - most everyone else here knows recess was over long ago. :yes: Lucky for me there are some new jungle gyms just being built. :)
Make Mars not Wars