FITS files

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Vic Muzzin
Ensign

FITS files

Post by Vic Muzzin » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:47 am

The current policy is to keep one full month and a partial month of FITS images on the server. All files older than that are backed up to DVD. When I was studying Beta Lyrae, I had a problem with FITS images being removed before I could get them. I would like to switch to a policy of keeping two full months and a partial month of FITS files on the server. There is, however, a question of whether the server can store that much data. FITS images are really only needed when studying a star whose photometry is not automatically tracked by WOLF. So, I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with FITS files being removed too quickly? If it is just me then I can just copy the back-up DVD's I need...

lior
Science Officer

Post by lior » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:16 pm

Vic,
This problem is pretty well known. The storage capacity of the server is not unlimitted. We use a tower of scsi hard drives which is constantly being upgraded, but still cannot provide a much longer period than what is currently provided. I would suggest not to rely on the storage policy only, but to use also the DVDs. All the required data is believed to be safely stored there.