APOD: M27: The Dumbbell Nebula (2019 Dec 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: M27: The Dumbbell Nebula (2019 Dec 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 am

Image M27: The Dumbbell Nebula

Explanation: Is this what will become of our Sun? Quite possibly. The first hint of our Sun's future was discovered inadvertently in 1764. At that time, Charles Messier was compiling a list of diffuse objects not to be confused with comets. The 27th object on Messier's list, now known as M27 or the Dumbbell Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the type of nebula our Sun will produce when nuclear fusion stops in its core. M27 is one of the brightest planetary nebulae on the sky, and can be seen toward the constellation of the Fox (Vulpecula) with binoculars. It takes light about 1000 years to reach us from M27, featured here in colors emitted by hydrogen and oxygen. Understanding the physics and significance of M27 was well beyond 18th century science. Even today, many things remain mysterious about bipolar planetary nebula like M27, including the physical mechanism that expels a low-mass star's gaseous outer-envelope, leaving an X-ray hot white dwarf.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: M27: The Dumbbell Nebula (2019 Dec 03)

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

Art Neuendorffer

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought I had seen a wide selection of photos of the Dumbbell Nebula, but this is the first one I can remember showing the tubular structure surrounding the central star. Any idea as to what may have caused what I am calling tubular?

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm

NCTom wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm
I thought I had seen a wide selection of photos of the Dumbbell Nebula, but this is the first one I can remember showing the tubular structure surrounding the central star. Any idea as to what may have caused what I am calling tubular?
The current Wikipedia article has a similar color scheme but it is less highly processed such that the outer "tubular structure" is not visible.
:arrow: HaRGB image of The Dumbbell Nebula (M27). Data from the Liverpool Telescope (a 2 m RC telescope on La Palma) processed by Göran Nilsson. Exposures: 149 x 90 s = 3.7 hours
Last edited by neufer on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 pm

image results from web search! :mrgreen:
th.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

That wave was a blast, totally tubular man!

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:30 pm

NCTom wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm I thought I had seen a wide selection of photos of the Dumbbell Nebula, but this is the first one I can remember showing the tubular structure surrounding the central star. Any idea as to what may have caused what I am calling tubular?
Do you mean its hollowed out appearance in the center?

At the end of the Red Dwarf Giant phase stars expel (mild blast?) their outer layers. Surfs up then dude.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbbell wrote:
<<The term "dumbbell" or "dumb bell" originated in late Stuart England. In 1711 the poet Joseph Addison mentioned exercising with a "dumb bell" in an essay published in The Spectator. Although Addison elsewhere in the same publication describes having used equipment similar to the modern understanding of dumbbells, according to sport historian Jan Todd, the form of the first dumbbells remains unclear.

The Oxford English Dictionary describes "apparatus similar to that used to ring a church bell, but without the bell, so noiseless or ‘dumb’", implying the action of pulling a bell rope to practise English bellringing.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Planetary nebula M27. Photo: Steve Mazlin.
As a color commentator, I so often feel stumped when I see a planetary nebula. That's because,

I don't know what color planetary nebulas are. I have never seen color in a planetary nebula.

I suspect that I would find planetary nebulas ugly. That is because I suspect that their dominant color is OIII, which is, or so I think, a shade of aqua (like this or like this) that I find really unpleasant.

That said, I want to add that I find today's APOD really beautiful. The color of the planetary in the APOD is blue and pink, which is a combination that I love.

So maybe I should just disregard the "reality " of the nebula and just enjoy Steve Mazlin's picture of it! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:14 pm
maybe I should just disregard the "reality " of the nebula and just enjoy Steve Mazlin's picture of it! :D
Geck spends a lot of time balancing the "reality" & "beauty" of planetary nebulae:

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/obje ... vesXX.html
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40055

What does she have to say about today's APOD :?:
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm

The ones you linked to are almost all supernova remnants, with the exception of the top middle one which is a hot superbubble where stars were forming.

I don't have any personal experience with the Dumbbell. It looks like a good rendition of it, though I suspect that a lot of sharpening/deconvolution has been done to the center especially. Looks like it combines narrowband with wideband data for the stars, which always turns out nice. It'd probably be neat to do something different from the hundreds of other visible light images and combine some visible with infrared or x-ray data, if any is available.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks for the response. I suppose I'm seeing multiple shells revealed in such a way as to create the image of a worm tube surrounding the central expanding cloud. The old eyes are playing tricks.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm

I have trouble with the dumbbell; it doesn't look like a bell! It doesn't look like it is dumb! It looks like a nebula, plane and simple! I can think of no name to call it! :mrgreen: Lets give it a name that it looks like! :b:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm I have trouble with the dumbbell; it doesn't look like a bell! It doesn't look like it is dumb! It looks like a nebula, plane and simple! I can think of no name to call it! :mrgreen: Lets give it a name that it looks like! :b:
Through an eyepiece, it does look like a dumbbell, with two slightly separated blobs.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com