eta carinae, 100 solar masses

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
kovil
Science Officer

eta carinae, 100 solar masses

Post by kovil » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:02 am

Is this star close to the largest star size known?

Are there any estimates of when it must have a catastrophe?
Early gravitational problems with lack of repulsion against collapse.
Does its spectrograph indicate multiple elements already?

At an estimated 7500 ly, it's rather close , although the Crab Nebula is 1000 ly, yes? and it didn't pose problems for earth when it novaed.

It could be going Nova right now, and we wouldn't know it for 7500 years !
Makes me poignantly aware of distance and time.

Where's Dr. Bergenholm? How else can we get out there to investigate these intrigueing locations.

ta152h0
Schooled

eta carinae

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:53 pm

i would suspect this thing will go supernovae, and I read somewhere some scientists speculate even a hypernovae, fusing really the heavy elements. Pass me the ice cold one. :lol:
Wolf Kotenberg

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Scientist estimate it will go nova within the next 10,000 years.

It is known as the largest start in the universe. Some estimates put it at as much as 150 solar masses.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:46 pm

* It is known as the largest "star" -lol

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:48 pm

eta is most luminous and large. Don know what they say now but, Pistol Star was considered the biggest. Both eta and pistol star are considered to be close to 100 times bigger than the sun.

I once went to Canberra observatory, hoping to see some of the glory of Eta, unfortunately due to its distance the telescope could only make out a point.
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:30 am

Hello Astroton

What point to it make?
Harry : Smile and live another day.

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 am

harry wrote:Hello Astroton

What point to it make?
Point as in point like ordinary star. The best thing that day (I think october-Dec, two years back) was jewel box star cluster.

Kovil,

I have a philosophical stuff based on intuition, will discuss someday.

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:34 pm

Thanks all for the good posts.

Looks like we have a real good seat for some interesting fireworks up close !!! No wonder we are trying to invent the hyperspace drive like crazy !!! We are about to get blown out of the water !!!

All in good time, I mean that shock wave could be traveling pell mell towards us right now !!! hahaha

Thank God for the vast distances and times which Space-Time provides us with. We have a leisurely and sedate, yea civilized, cadence to the pace of our galacticaly tiny lives of existance in this Cosmos.

It does seem that Mind has a hand in the design of all this, as Freeman Dyson likes to phrase it.

Astro, what is the translation of your byline at the bottom of your posts?
and Makc's too?
Last evening was a fun time writing the reply to your dark matter/energy topic, thanks for the platform to speculate upon. Keiko Matsui's Wildflower cd, song 5, Eldest of All ; great background music for writing last evening, on repeat mode. That cd is so Beethoven; as her, The Ring cd is so Wagner-esq.

Wolf; in scrolling back the posts i'd forgotten the heavy elements
Earth has a rather large amount of metals and heavy elements.
Another email has an investment idea of Uranuim Mines in Australia as being undervalued; How much metal is here on Earth ?
Is there more metals in Earth to rethink how was this local ISM made here ? I've wondered about galactic central winds vs local nova productions for earths reason for composition of the elements.
(flashed on that movie last night, 101 Dalmations; where's that video game tester ? ) that's who could figure this out, now he's older.

Something about the abundance of metals and hydrocarbons is tickling my brain that something isn't right with theories, but I don't have a clue as to what it would be yet. It is amazing how many roots of thought all this has to follow.
{..." Tom Waits is what i go by
why don't you change the station,
the Keiko matsui music hour is on. .
cause everyone in this galaxy's
got one foot in Gravity
and another in the Infinite
while the Changeless is what keeps me sane
out here
in
Burma Shave . . ."}

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Kovil,

I wouldn't have a clue with MakC's signature.

This is the meaning of mine...

"Whenever there is decay

of righteousness O! Bharatha

And a rise of unrighteousness

then I manifest Myself!"

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:08 am

Kovil,

In my humblest of the humble opinons, physics has been rife with good and not so good theories. The best achivements obviously speak for themselves.

Gravity

Quantum

Relativity

The next biggest thing will come out of light and the successful theory will have to link our biology with physics. Remember this post.

kovil
Science Officer

John Dobson, 'Beyond Space and Time'

Post by kovil » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:54 am

Astroton,

Interesting and profound. As you are philosophical and other language aware, do you know about John Dobson' book 'Beyond Space and Time' published in 2004 ? It is a 190 page large print reprint of his 60 page booklet which he copyrighted in 1979. It goes way beyond cosmology, but his idea of how this universe operates is most intrigueing, and I believe is correct. It is not mainstream, as he has 10 reasons the BBT is defunct.
As the BBT is Catholic in its acceptability design, and the Hindus like the Pulsating Universe concept, where it collapses in a fireball to be reexploded at the end of the Caliuga, like 4 trillion years or something very long; I always was drawn to that as making more sense than the BBT. The universe has always been here; it expands, collapses, and starts over again with a reactionary expansion from the collapse. Like reincarnation.
Dobson's, in keeping with the times, is a Recycling Universe ! A Steady State, without the need for matter to appear to keep the density equal during the expansion, cause it isn't expanding. But particles recycle from the border as they get driven out from the solar wind, light pressure acceleration and that keeps things from rareifying. Plus it satisfies quantum theory by not losing information. He gets into why things are, as physics has no answers in that arena, only the how of things behave. His why ties it all together so well, it took my breath away to understand it. It makes so much sense.
It does help to hear it in person as he answers questions. John was 90 a couple of weeks ago. So if he comes to Australia, do go see him !
Is there a Vedanta Society in Australia? That's probably where he would appear, or stay while there. My other posts get into a lot of what he talks about. I'll explain what I am able to if you are interested.
The Vedantins studied mistakes, and by logic figured out what this universe must be designed from. The end of their logic is; the universe is infinite, undivided, and changeless. But we see it as finite, divided and changing. That is our mis-take, but a lot of the reason we see it that way is from our own genetic programing. One of my goals is to retell John's story in a more understandable form. I had hoped his new book would do that, but it is just a verbatem reprint. So it is a bit difficult to read. Sad, it will take a couple of generations before someone with clout will recognize the value; as he is staunchly ignored by mainstream folks. He asked to many intelligent unanswerable questions at seminars by bigwigs, and pissed them off. So he got put on the official ignore list as a trouble maker. Besides the Church, which is the main energy supporting the BBT against all odds; will not be pleased to hand the reins over to Hinduism as having the correct say about how and why the universe is the way it is.
Physics so quickly becomes Metaphysics when one gets deeply into it, and this theory ties them together seamlessly.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:35 am

ta152h0
Schooled

Yes, Kovil

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:33 am

kovil wrote:Thanks all for the good posts.

All in good time, I mean that shock wave could be traveling pell mell towards us right now !!! hahaha

Burma Shave . . ."}
Yes, the entire periodic table could be coming at us in chunks, Pass me another cold one :)
Wolf Kotenberg

astroton
Science Officer

Re: Yes, Kovil

Post by astroton » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:27 am

[/quote]

Yes, the entire periodic table could be coming at us in chunks, Pass me another cold one :)[/quote]

ta152h0,

That way at least no one will forget the chemical composition and elements.

Kovil,

Nice one, lil bit busy with other issues in life. Will discuss the philosophy in future.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:01 am

Hello Kovil

John Dobson' book 'Beyond Space and Time' published in 2004 ?

I need to read his book, sounds great. It is along the same ideas as mine.

If he visits Ozzzzzzz can someone tell me.

kovil
Science Officer

John Dobson

Post by kovil » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:32 am

Yes, Harry, that's the book. He gets into a lot of stuff, and some will be totally new and maybe off the wall depending on your exposure.
The original title he had in '79 when he wrote it was "Advaita Vedanta and Modern Science" the adviata vedanta was written in that sanskrit looking script where all the letters are connected with a line across the top, and the modern science was written in computer code letter script where certain portions of the letters are thicker so the optical reader can orient itself to correctly read it ! Very cleverly done. Vedanta is the old science, 5000+ years old, and modern science is post Einstein. Vedanta explains why and modern explains how. The Vedantins did not have the high tech to explore their theories. As the tale goes, in 1895 Swami Vivekananda asked Nikola Tesla to show mathematically that matter was just potential energy. The Vedantins had suspected this for thousands of years but had never been able to show it. John brings East and West together. I forget the Swami's name who spent a great deal of effort to get John to sit down long enough to organize the entire effort of laying it all out. John Dobson worked on the Manhattan Project in the U235-238 seperators division. He did not know what it was all for until the bomb was dropped on Japan. He felt hoodwinked, hornswaggled and betrayed, as well as guilty and bereaved. He went into the Vedanta monastary for 20+ years after that. During that time he got intrested in making telescopes, in the late '50's he said was when he got bit by the telescope making bug. He is the Dobson of the Dobsonian telescope mount ! The Vedanta bookstore sells his book and there is a DVD of John's lecture series in bits and pieces from different places, pieced together to give a picture of his personality and his sense of science and humor. He was 90 a few weeks ago, a friend in LA told me about the party they threw for him with some rather talented folks doing the entertaining.
One interesting thing is there are 6 kinds of energy, and we have senses to detect 5 of them ! The 6th being the nuclear force, which we are not sensed for. That was a surprise to me. John gets into lots of things and one of them is (and this is your homework for next weeks class !)
"What happened to us, that didn't happen to the chimpanzees ? "

Now that the weather is warming up here I'm feeling like doing more outdoor things. So I'll likely be a little less 'chatty' soon ! haha As I try to get that 1950 Willys Station Wagon running that has been sitting since '97 when I bought it for a project. Everybody said you gotta have a 4WD, not so, 12 years and I haven't needed one once ! I am in the Sagebrush Ocean, a nice sounding phrase describing the Great Basin, which used to be the Lohantan Sea, before the ocean left suddenly one day quite a long time ago.

Going to Dobson's class series of talks really changed my perspective on who we are. It did take 5 of the yearly class series to get a handle on what all he talks about. It is hard to let go of what we were taught in school, which was not correct. I mean every 500 years 95% of what science thinks it knows gets replaced by new ideas. So one might say that almost everything we know is wrong !! LOL
But that doesn't deter us from learning and thinking and looking !!!

Kovil