Star Cluster, Misidentification of Objects (APOD 6 May 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
TimeTravel123456789
Ensign

Star Cluster, Misidentification of Objects (APOD 6 May 2007)

Post by TimeTravel123456789 » Sun May 06, 2007 2:20 pm

When you look at R136, do you think that 100 years ago someone thought it was a galaxy or globular cluster or some other sexy object of the time?

I want to assert that "sexy Object" ideas need to be understood.

Planets are seen by observatories when the star is actually showing a limb dimming.

We know this is true. Ceres is planet then asteroid somewhat on size somewhat on the idea of a sexy object. Planets were important in the 1800's, so Ceres was a planet. Pluto similarly.

You all know of better examples.

Obvious, earth is center then not.

Sun is full of carbon then other elements.
:shock:
James T. Struck

AZJames
Ensign

Post by AZJames » Mon May 07, 2007 2:51 am

I don't think I would classify R136 as a "sexy object". :shock:

My first impression of R136 is the extreme brightness of the core of the star cluster, suggesting that stars in the core may be very close together. However, this object is 170,000 ly distant, so that light from these stars will have a substantial 'smear' factor making them appear much closer together than they actually are.

Notwithstanding, I wonder if stars in R136 might not be closer together than those in an ordinary globular cluster orbiting the MW galaxy. My reasoning incorporates the assumption that R136 is embedded within a star-forming nebula. Any comments?

Also, the APOD commentary includes the statement that R136 contains some of the largest stars known. This suggests a potential hotbed for supernovae.

TimeTravel123456789
Ensign

I was just referring to certain faddish popular topics

Post by TimeTravel123456789 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:26 am

One sees certain objects based on what is popular at the time.

Planet finding is popular, so one sees planets.

Asteroid finding is popular so one sees asteroids.

Being the center is important, so we are the center.

Fast spin based on dark matter is popular, so the spin is fast based on dark matter when actually it is based on the collision of two objects in the past.

My point was,"Was R136 once a Messier object or labeled a galaxy in the past?" "Has it ever been labeled a globular cluster?"

Thanks for reminder about being largest stars and close.

See if Einstein Crosses were popular now or in observer,someone would see an Einstein Cross in the image.

We see what is popular at times.

The sexy object wording was just to reflect seeing what is popular at the time.SOrry about the word choice.

What if several of those are not stars,but bright gas collections?
James T. Struck