Orange Sun Oozing (APOD 22 May 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Orange Sun Oozing (APOD 22 May 2007)

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed May 23, 2007 7:16 pm

I cannot get the movie to run. When I click on the AVI version my AOL Media Player small screen comes up and then the words Real Player appear on it, but I the cannot get any further and everytime I've tried so far my internet connection crashes. If I click on the Quick Time version my AOL Media Player shows the same image as the APOD (without the white arrow) but again I can get no further (yes, I do click on the play button!) though it does not crash my internet connection. As far as I know my Real Player and Quick Time are up to date.

I wonder if anybody else has, or has had, the same problem in being unable to run the movie. Any sugestions please.

Thanks

A :? David. :)

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 23, 2007 7:42 pm

It might depend on if you have DSL or not. It is a very large file and may take time to download. I have T1 access and it still takes 30 seconds to completely download.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:It might depend on if you have DSL or not. It is a very large file and may take time to download. I have T1 access and it still takes 30 seconds to completely download.
Thanks for responding BMAONE23. It is appreciated.

I think it may be some problem with that particular movie and my AOL Media Player, as I gave both the AVI and Real Player versions 5 minutes to download (I have DSL) but the results were the same as before (including the internet crashing with the Real Player!).

For interest I've just run the movies in the APOD's of May 14, March 29 and March 12 and all ran OK in my AOL Media Player. That for March 12 opened in Real Player and there was no problem and it did not crash my connection! Very strange!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:16 pm

That is odd.
I'll have to try and run it on AOL through my DSL too and see if I have any problems.
Hope you find your solution, it is a really intresting file.
this link is to the responsible site http://www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen. ... /apod.html but I cannot find the corresponding mpeg file linked to the page.

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Thu May 24, 2007 12:53 am

These are links to the avi versions of both movies on that page:

http://www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen. ... D/cont.avi

http://www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen. ... D/time.avi

Right click and save as, and you should be able to play them in Windows Media Player (assuming you're using Windows)? :)
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:24 am

Another way would be to access this site ( http://www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen. ... /apod.html ) through your Internet Explorer page and you should then be able to play the file. I had the same problem with AOL but IE6 works

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Qev and BMAONE23.

I tried the suggestion of opening Internet Explorer (when I was already signed onto AOL) and, after doing a search to find the APOD, I was then able to see the movie through both the AVI and Quick Time version links (both were exactly the same in all respects, so perhaps Real Player was not involved though I do not know). The movie was fascinating.

I must admit that I did not know that using Internet Explorer or AOL would give differing results! It came as a surprise when I discovered that I can open Internet Explorer separately, as I have never done that before because I thought AOL used Internet Explorer. OK, I am suitably :oops: for not knowing that!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:03 pm

I discovered the same thing when DSL was set up on my home PC and I had to access the login site out of AOL.