A Hole in Mars (APOD 28 May 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 am

AZJames wrote:Interesting! I understand that the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) has ground penetrating RADAR (on board primarily to look for subsurface water ice deposits) with a resolution of about 30 ft. Seems to me that looking for subsurface voids (lava tubes?) would be duck soup. Made to order for locating underground, radiation proof habitats.
The radar on MRO has a depth resolution of 7 meters, but a lateral resolution of only 300 meters. That may be good enough to pick out a lava tube this big, but I don't know enough about the method to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it a try on a future pass.

They are, it should be noted, pretty confident of the lava tubes in the area. This image shows the context of the holes on the slope of a volcano.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:22 pm

exactly when will this next pass of that ( MRO ) take place, anyone here have that info.
Speaking on the previous statement by ( iamlucky13 ) I wouldn't be surprised if they give it a try on a future pass.
I would certainly hope that NASA will see fit to do this on the very next pass, if not a few after that as well, i can't imagine anything else being of higher priority and i will / let us hope / that this assumption is correct.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:52 am

Makc
I doubt that "all" would love to see those images, and I highly doubt that APOD would ever put such photos up. If I and others have had access to a couple of them, I am sure that the founders of APOD would have much better success in finding some really great ones.

The holes on Mars could be caused by several possible ways. Based on all the other evidence, extrapolation of the correct answer becomes possible.
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 am

it is just that I was under impression that in 19th century no astronomer was actually making any photos at all, I thought they all simply drawed what they saw (as in martian map case). now when I read up a bit on subject, I see that is not entirely correct. yet, I would like to see those pictures you are talking about.

cosmo_uk
Science Officer

Post by cosmo_uk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:31 am

huge worms like off the tremors? That would explain lines and holes :)

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:29 pm

THX1138 wrote:exactly when will this next pass of that ( MRO ) take place, anyone here have that info.
Speaking on the previous statement by ( iamlucky13 ) I wouldn't be surprised if they give it a try on a future pass.
I would certainly hope that NASA will see fit to do this on the very next pass, if not a few after that as well, i can't imagine anything else being of higher priority and i will / let us hope / that this assumption is correct.
I don't know where to find precise orbital details for MRO, but I do know one of the top priorities right now is getting the maximum detailed coverage possible of the areas proposed for the Phoenix Polar Lander. It's scheduled to launch soon, and they want to maximize their knowledge of the landing sites so they pick the best one. It's also supporting the Mars Rovers, scouting possible landing sites for the 2009 Mars Science Laboratory, and adding to the global map of the planet...there may be other features equally as interesting out there still.

Anyway, the orbit can only be controlled within the limits of the onboard fuel. Beyond that, it is in a polar orbit so that the rotation of the planet brings a different strip of land with each pass. I'm certain if MRO passes reasonably over these holes again they will take as many pictures as they can get, but I'm not sure how easy it is to arrange, especially when scouting for the landers presents a time pressure. Photographing the holes is limited only by the life of the MRO.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:26 pm

THX1138 wrote:Thanks Chains, always the gentelman.
Q Where can I locate these old astronomers notes on line I dare ask?

Here is a link that shows the old astronomers were indeed taking photos of the moon, at least, which would also indicate they would have taken many of Mars also. Check this one out from Dr. Wood of the Lunar Photo of the Day site. (LPOD)

http://www.lpod.org/?m=20070701

Just an FYI for those interested in our rich observational history of our solar system. I also am thankful for the image provided by Xavier Debeerst.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:07 pm

cosmo_uk wrote:huge worms like off the tremors? That would explain lines and holes :)
worms crawling in nearly straight lines? no, thanks, I think I will stick with star wars theory.

AZJames
Ensign

Post by AZJames » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 am

Huge worms on Mars? Oh, dear! Maybe we should consider renaming the planet "Dune".

I couldn't resist! :lol:

FieryIce
Science Officer

Re: Philosophical curiousity

Post by FieryIce » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:48 pm

RyGardner wrote: living arrogantly on the surface, be foolish or naive in doing so?

Any thoughts?

Ryan
I think most governments and military organizations have an underground contingency plan, even though it would be for a select few. The only place somewhat safe under adverse conditions would be underground; I think a USA president said something to that effect in a speech once in reference to nuclear explosions.
Tic Toc