Annotating Images

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Zarkoff
Asternaut

Annotating Images

Post by Zarkoff » Tue May 29, 2007 3:31 pm

I assume (hope) that a lot of people who are not avid astronomers (amateur or professional) enjoy APOD. With this in mind I think it would be helpful to include some indicators of objects in the photo that are discussed in the short caption. For instance:

APOD for May29, '07. Are any of the star or star-like images in the photo those that are new resolved (I doubt it). Which parts of the galaxy has the resolved stars ?, how about in insert showing a blow-up of a small region with resolved stars.

APOD for May 27, '07. Shadow of Horsehead nebula ? I can't tell the difference between a shadow and the murky, dusty regions - point it out ? Bright spots in base ? Those barely visible specs ? How about the one bright spot ?

It's easy for those who know to assume that the references are obvious, but I think that they are not for the uninitiated. Some kind of indicator, mouse over would work without distracting from the image, be an aid to understanding.

John-

makc
Commodore

Re: Annotating Images

Post by makc » Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 am

Zarkoff wrote:Some kind of indicator, mouse over would work without distracting from the image, be an aid to understanding.
There were a few articles that worked exactly like you described. I wouldn't expect them doing every article like that, though.