I wiped my screen; waves on Titan sea? (APOD 30 May 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Axel
Ensign

I wiped my screen; waves on Titan sea? (APOD 30 May 2007)

Post by Axel » Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 pm

When I looked at the picture of the hydrocarbon sea on Titan, I reached for a tissue and wiped my monitor because I thought there was a track of dust across the screen left over from a previous cleaning. But no: it's a very straight, though fuzzy, line crossing the sea at about 7 degrees (counterclockwise) from horizontal. What is it? An artifact? Surf?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:36 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070530.html
looking at the full size image there are also lines that run from NNE towars SSW. I would wager that ther are artifacts from image processing. The North-South lines tend to follow with the edgieness indicated at the top of the full size image.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Axel, looking at the full size image, I'm pretty sure your line is where two seperate scans of the radar data were stitched together. It seems to be roughly parallel to the image edges.

I think BMAONE23's lines may be the same story, but someone on the Cassini team could probably confirm this. My guess is the radar scans up&down (relative to the picture orientation) rapidly as it slowly makes a long sideways sweep, then it moves back to its lateral starting position but lower.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

canoe2fish
Asternaut

Waves in the "Liquid Sea on Saturn's Titan"?

Post by canoe2fish » Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 pm

Is it me, or do I perceive what appears to be waves marching from left to right in the picture "Liquid Sea on Saturn's Titan"? Is this a trick of lighting, data transfer or display?

DerekSmith
Ensign

Post by DerekSmith » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:29 pm

It looks so regular it surely has to be imaging artefact except neither the near vertical, nor the near horizontal lines continue into the lighter areas??

And Derek said 'Let there be light' and there was light.