Jet, cresent Moon (APOD 05 June 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
jplamers
Asternaut

Jet, cresent Moon (APOD 05 June 2007)

Post by jplamers » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 pm

It looks like the beautiful June 5 APOD of an aircraft with an orange contrail and the new moon may have been reversed. As shown, the running light on the right (starboard) wing of the aircraft should be green, but it appears to be red.

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm

I can't tell whether that's a running light or a reflection of sunlight, but nice catch if it iturns out to be reversed!

One way to sort out the port & starboard directions and colours is to group the words according to relative length:
red is left is port,
green is right is starboard.

Almost looks like a poem. Hmm... Mnemonic haiku?
Red is left is port,
and green is right is starboard.
Damn colourblindness.
I probably shouldn't quit my day job. Okay, back to work...

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:52 am

As an old sailor that reminds me of RED RIGHT RETURNING for entrance bouys to harbours, , , except at LaConner, Washington state, USA. :oops: Have you ever stuck an 85 foot tub boat in the mud?

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 am

Looking at the full size image, I think it's actually an orangish reflection of sunlight off the cockpit windows.

It's pretty bright to be a running light, but it had me puzzled for a minute after you pointed it out.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)