Shuttle Plume (APOD 12 June 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Snoopy
Asternaut

Shuttle Plume (APOD 12 June 2007)

Post by Snoopy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:36 am

When I downloaded the APOD fo 6/12/07 and viewed it full size, I noticed a white spot in the upper left corner. This portion of the picture did not show up on the web page view of the picture. The spot appears in an L shaped opening between the plume trails. Can you identify this object?
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Re: APOD of the day, June 12, 2007 - Shuttle Plume

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:04 am

Snoopy wrote:When I downloaded the APOD fo 6/12/07 and viewed it full size, I noticed a white spot in the upper left corner. This portion of the picture did not show up on the web page view of the picture. The spot appears in an L shaped opening between the plume trails. Can you identify this object?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... 17_big.jpg

There are three white spots.
One is just to the right of the building floodlight at the extreme left of the picture, and one is at the same level but on the far right of the picture, these look like bright stars, or possibly picture artifacts. The largest white spot (in the 'L' shaped opening) appears to be very rounded and is probably Venus.
Regards,
Andy.

jimmysnyder
Ensign

STS-0?

Post by jimmysnyder » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:39 pm

The caption on this APOD says:

This trip, officially labeled STS-117, is the 118th space shuttle flight

I looked on the Nasa site to find out the reason for this strange numbering but could not find it. Does someone know how 118 flights got crammed into 117 missions?
Making mistakes since 1950.

Case
Commander

Re: STS-0?

Post by Case » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:13 pm

jimmysnyder wrote:I looked on the Nasa site to find out the reason for this strange numbering but could not find it.
There's a Wiki on shuttle flights, and it seems the mission numbers and flight order are almost close to each other by chance.

jimmysnyder
Ensign

Post by jimmysnyder » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Case.
Making mistakes since 1950.

ChrisO
Asternaut

The shortest path between two points... is a squiggle?

Post by ChrisO » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:52 pm

You think they could save a bit on the fuel, if only the astronauts would avoid those crazy left turns ;-)

-Chris O

DerekSmith
Ensign

Post by DerekSmith » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

It's a bit like the January Sales -- stuff has to be marked up first before it can be marked down for the sale.

NASA is getting ready to signing on to doing their bit for Global warming - so they are getting plenty of slack in hand before being told to cut back on fuel usage.

Chris O, you have a crazy sense of humor -- more please.
And Derek said 'Let there be light' and there was light.

William Roeder
Ensign

Re: APOD of the day, June 12, 2007 - Shuttle Plume

Post by William Roeder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Snoopy wrote:When I downloaded the APOD fo 6/12/07 and viewed it full size, I noticed a white spot in the upper left corner. This portion of the picture did not show up on the web page view of the picture. The spot appears in an L shaped opening between the plume trails. Can you identify this object?
The caption in todays paper stated that one of the white spots was a planet.