1006 AD: Supernova in the Sky

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

1006 AD: Supernova in the Sky

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon May 01, 2006 1:20 pm

I am confused as to what is what in the picture used for the APOD of April 30 2006 '1006 AD: Supernova in the Sky'.
Where is the crescent Moon? If the very bright object is the Supernova then where is Venus? What is the large circular thing that looks like it could be an image defect? I appreciate that the image details are all probably very obvious to most of you, but they are not to me! Does anybody know if there is a labelled version available anywhere? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm

I believe both venus and the moon were digitally removed from the image
and the bright star was added in their place. The caption indicates that the glow on the water surface is moon shine. As for the large circle in the lower left of the image, I believe it was inserted to replicate a lens flare as would probably happen with such a bright light source. (If you were present and had a camera to record the event)

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon May 01, 2006 8:49 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I believe both venus and the moon were digitally removed from the image
and the bright star was added in their place. The caption indicates that the glow on the water surface is moon shine. As for the large circle in the lower left of the image, I believe it was inserted to replicate a lens flare as would probably happen with such a bright light source. (If you were present and had a camera to record the event)
Thanks BMAONE23. The explanation given in the APOD is confusing (at least to me!) as I expected to see an obvious Moon and Venus, with the Supernova added to the scene.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Tue May 02, 2006 2:53 am

i like these photos where they use the moon's reflection - clever =D
is the colour of the star meant to be accurate? would all super novae appear from earth to be the same colour?