GLORY APOD

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Bob Peterson
Ensign

GLORY APOD

Post by Bob Peterson » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:29 pm

it's june 20 in mass ,but the professor is on a mountain. the snow is beginning to melt, providing a fine mist in front and at a lower altitude relative to the camera. the sun is behind the prof. the prof is taking his camera shot downward at the angle of the antisolar point. the GLORY is created in the water mist(between the ground and the camera). the bright area is the result of many rays emerging at angles smaller than the rainbow wave, combined to create white light. the RING OF COLOR is the result of the PRISMATIC EFFECT and separated white light into color components producing an arrangement of colors to create a primary rainbow. The profs shadow is the result of a VERSION OF THE BROCKEN SPECTRE. But maybe this is too obvious. it's probably a phenomenon having to do with the cameras lens to analog to digital imaging. i'm going to a photo processor asap. sorry for the improper post placement.
Last edited by Bob Peterson on Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bob Peterson
Ensign

Addendum

Post by Bob Peterson » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:53 pm

this is my first post here. i'm afraid i did'nt read any of the other posts before submitting mine. i did'nt want to bias my thinking. i'm not educated in the complex world of abstract science and i suppose this has become very apparent. I read some links and did what i could.

Dan Cordell
Ensign

Post by Dan Cordell » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:33 am

Please keep all discussion related to Dr. Lewin's challenge in this thread.
Dan Cordell, Giant Space Cow