Is the moon gray or is the picture colorized (20 July 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:38 pm

to comment on my post above, it's nice that americans were able to land on moon (sounds like a pun btw), but since brbear1 is so proud of it, I would like to know just how much (s)he contributed to american moon program funding (because I doubt (s)he could have any other relation to the program).

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Re: 20 July 2007 Is the moon gray or is the picture colorize

Post by Andy Wade » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Harry_h wrote:Hi,
I just wonder if the moon is really made up of gray stones and dust.
As in the picture from 20 July 2007 you can see a panorama of the moon.
The Eagle and also the stereo close-up camera in front show colors. On the camera you can also see cyan edges like from chromatic distortion.
But the rest of the image is all gray.

So is this image really carefully colorized or has the surface of the moon really no noticeable colors?
If this image is not colorized, can somebody explain why the stones on the moon have no colors?

thanks
Harry
Hi Harry,

The surface of the moon does have some colours, but they can't be seen very easily.
You might like this picture from APOD in September last year:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060907.html

And this one from February last year:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060216.html
Regards,
Andy.

ta152h0
Schooled

color of the moon

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:28 pm

if my memory serves me correctly, harrison Schmitt found some orange colored material that he brought back.
Wolf Kotenberg

toejam
Ensign

Re: Make that 'proud to be human' and I'd agree with you.

Post by toejam » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 pm

Andy Wade wrote:
brbear1 wrote:To borrow a phrase from country music artist Lee Greenwood, " I am proud to be an American" when I see these pictures.
Make that 'proud to be human' and I'd agree with you.
I prefer the oft quoted 'That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind' statement as being far more apt.
The reason America got there is because all the scientific and technological advances up to that point made it possible. That, and they had the money to do it. Remember the German scientists who developed the rockets during WW2 or Gallileo, Leornardo, Newton or Einstein (none of whom were American) to name just a few.
I'm not trying to demean America, they did a wonderful thing in attaining this goal. But I don't wish to see the rest of the world who helped them be forgotten.
There's even an argument for the Russians. Without their part in the space race would JFK have pushed so hard to achieve this goal?
Food for thought.
As an American I know said: " Thank God "our" Germans are better than "their" (the Soviets') Germans."

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm

makc wrote:Dont be stupid, if it were not flat, all ocean water would stream off the planet. Not to mention that elephants would have hard time trying to hold the earth balanced on their backs.
Don't be silly. If they can stand on the back of a turtle, of course they can balance a spherical earth. I just don't understand you flat-earthers. :?
Douglas Adams wrote:In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea.

linx
Ensign

20 July 2007 I the moon gray or is the picture colorized

Post by linx » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 pm

bystander wrote:
Don't be silly. If they can stand on the back of a turtle, of course they can balance a spherical earth.

if the elephants carried a spherical earth there should be evidence of Space Soccer by now :D

thanks for the smiles ..Linx