Southern Moonscape, lunar craters (APOD 23 Aug 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Case
Commander

Post by Case » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:06 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:I just noticed that the crater at the bottom of the rotated image is hexagonal
"That's no moon, that's a space station."

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Even on Mars are craters that are not round, , ,

http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20070823a

There everywhere, there everywhere, ,
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:09 pm

gcsievers wrote:...you mentioned scarring. I don't know about scarring but a series of small meteorite strikes all coming from the same general direction might make sense.
That's what they thought of Phobos and proved themselves wrong.

The First Mars Express Science Conference had four presentations specifically about the research done concerning Phobos.
1st Mars Express Conference Presentations

In the PDF presentation by John Murray et al., the images of Phobos specifically the leading edge of Phobos does not show the leading edge crater chains to be larger than the trailing edge crater chains so their theory that Phobos flew through Mars debris or flew through ejecta debris is not valid or was not validated.
Tic Toc

gcsievers
Asternaut

Post by gcsievers » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you for responding yet again. I have NO idea what I am seeing and, as I said, it may be just a function of the perspective view. Either that or, at one time the moon had an atmosphere of some kind, someone punched a hole in it and it all rushed out thru this hole blowing the dust around. :lol:

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:37 pm

I believe them to be processing artifacts. The image appears to be the result of the combination of a lot of data and aggressive digital deconvolution to increase detail.

Note that the artifacts are more oriented to the angle of the light (or possibly to slight motion in the telescope while shooting) than to the shape of the moon.

-Noel

gcsievers
Asternaut

Post by gcsievers » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 pm

Yes - I did notice that. Which makes my observaton even more specious.

Wes
Asternaut

Post by Wes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 pm

In order to try and provide an answer to the processing question here is a link to a raw frame of my Moretus image .
As can easily be seen in the raw frame the linear features are indeed real geological lunar features, the lighting may be enhancing the linear features to a certain extent though.

http://higginsandsons.com/astro/images/ ... -FRAME.jpg

Thanks,

Wes Higgins

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 pm

Wes, I stand corrected - my apologies; it's obviously not from the processing now I see your raw image data, though deconvolution/contrast enhancement may have made it more prominent looking in the final image.

Besides the slight possibility of slight diagonal banding or smearing in the camera (not unheard of), it occurred to me there is a much greater possibility that a large, and relatively recent impact - e.g., Tycho - could have sent material across the surface and result in what appears to be a diagonal bias such as we see here. Shadows subdividing the bias tend to give it a "cut up" appearance, almost like a second bias.

Thanks for posting your raw image, Wes.

Oh, and by the way, it's a very impressive closeup! Well done!

-Noel

Wes
Asternaut

Post by Wes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 am

Hi Noel,

No problem , I agree that deconvolution/contrast enhancement may have made it more prominent looking in the final image.
Tycho might be a good candidate alright for the features in question.

Thanks,

Wes Higgins

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:23 pm

Four (!) threads on the same APOD merged.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 am

Nereid wrote:Four (!) threads on the same APOD merged.
Yep... I haven't visit f=9 for a while :oops:

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:35 pm

Noel, non-round craters are not “processing artifacts”. Chuck Wood’s LPOD for September 16, 2007 clearly demonstrates “framelet lines” in the Lunar Orbiter images.

Tic Toc