Comet Encke's Tail Ripped Off (APOD 03 Oct 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
goredsox
Ensign

Comet Encke's Tail Ripped Off (APOD 03 Oct 2007)

Post by goredsox » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:53 am

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071003.html

Wow!! It looks like the coronal mass ejection occurs in three waves. The first wave almost carries the comet tail away, the second wave knocks the tail off completely. By the time the third, smaller wave passes, the tail has grown back.

It really makes one wonder about the tremendous electrical energy in those ejections. If only there was some way to harness that energy as it passed earth.

Vision
Ensign

Re: Comet Encke's Tail Ripped Off (APOD 03 Oct 2007)

Post by Vision » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:39 am

goredsox wrote:http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071003.html

Wow!! It looks like the coronal mass ejection occurs in three waves. The first wave almost carries the comet tail away, the second wave knocks the tail off completely. By the time the third, smaller wave passes, the tail has grown back.

It really makes one wonder about the tremendous electrical energy in those ejections. If only there was some way to harness that energy as it passed earth.
I said the same thing last week after looking at the dark spot on the sun.
Its truly is spectacular we can see the coronal mass ejection wash over the comet. It would be interesting to find out if the ejection effected the mass and trajectory of the comet.
I,d rather have a bottle in front of me, that a frontal lobotomy

adrianxw
Ensign

Post by adrianxw » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:54 am

This is more like it! This is exactly what APOD should be showing. Great stuff.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:59 am

wow is right, this is quite fantastic!

ian
Asternaut

Post by ian » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:28 am

This is spectacular.

A friend just posed the question: if each frame in the movie spans 45 minutes then how come there is not more parallax 'drift' between the comet and the background stars?

Is it just a fortunate configuration of the comet's orbit, the spacecraft's orbit and the rotation of the spacecraft to track the comet?

I feel I should be able to answer this but I can't, so it's over to you guys...

Thanks.

worm
Asternaut

Post by worm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:11 pm

What are the three vertical lines? I don't think they could be satalite tracks due to the position of the STEREO A spacecraft that took the picture. Are they artifacts from the camera?
Would it not be strange if a universe without purpose accidentally created humans who are so obsessed with purpose?—Sir John Templeton

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:40 pm

worm wrote:What are the three vertical lines? I don't think they could be satalite tracks due to the position of the STEREO A spacecraft that took the picture. Are they artifacts from the camera?
They look like blooming artifacts. These result from electrons bleeding along CCD columns from oversaturated pixels. In this case, there are presumably three bright stars outside the cropped field of the animation (note that the lines track the stars, not the comet).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:49 pm

This is one of the more amazing APoD's in a while!
Very WOW!!!!
8)
Forget the box, just get outside.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:21 pm

The vivacity of the time-lapse video is definitely a different perspective on comets than I'm used to. It's pretty cool to see the tail "billowing" in the solar wind. Plus the "clouds" of presumably solar particles streaming past. Wow.
ian wrote:A friend just posed the question: if each frame in the movie spans 45 minutes then how come there is not more parallax 'drift' between the comet and the background stars?

Is it just a fortunate configuration of the comet's orbit, the spacecraft's orbit and the rotation of the spacecraft to track the comet?
I think it's simply because of the distances involved. The comet is roughly the same distance from the earth as the sun, so it takes a fair amount of motion to translate into a significant angular change. Plus, the motion of STEREO spacecraft around the sun may roughly match that of the comet, reducing the background drift. The odds of the motion being constructive rather than destructive are 50-50 (comet traveling in the same direction around the ecliptic plane as the spacecraft).

If you watch the video closely, you'll notice that not only does the comet move vertically with respect to the background stars, but it also moves horizontally relative to the saturation line, apparently reversing directions on that axis.

Also, remember that the tail of a comet does not stream behind it in the direction of travel, but rather away from the sun. As a comet makes its closest approach to the sun, the tale and the trajectory are actually 90 degrees different. The motion of the comet is deceptive.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

phwaap!
Asternaut

Post by phwaap! » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Fantastic! APOTD is the best.

ian
Asternaut

Post by ian » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:50 am

iamlucky13
Thanks! I hadn't considered the direction of the tail at all...