50th Anniversary of Sputnik (APOD 04 Oct 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
craterchains
Commander

50th Anniversary of Sputnik (APOD 04 Oct 2007)

Post by craterchains » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:49 am

With Sputnik 1 came signals from outer space. I was 7 years old when this took place. By the time I was 12 and deep into tube operated radios and the missions to the moon I was hooked on the modern world.
Because I had to use a directional antenna on my "home brew" (home made) ham radio to pick up the signals from the moon missions I KNEW it was really coming from the moon.

Congrats to the 50 years of launces into space.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:28 pm

That's pretty awesome that you received Moon mission signals. Sputnik was a little before my time... :) It's a powerful example of how political interest and scientific advancement influence each other.

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:46 pm

Many thanks to Russia for getting the space race on it's feet!! The accomplishments of "man" have become more and more phenomenal because of this. :D

Nancy D
Ensign

Post by Nancy D » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:38 am

I remember from when I started first grade in 1960, many times my mother would wake us kids up to watch rocket launches. That was in a little West Texas town. Everyone everywhere was enamored. I still love to watch the launches and follow what's going on in space.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 pm

cc,
Really? You could get a signal from the Apollo misisons on your DiY receiver? Wow! "Respect"!

I've never heard before that as evidence for the truth of the Moon Missions. Not that I am an unbeliever, but couldn't those signals have been repeated from a mere transceiver soft-landed on the Moon? Does the directional quality prove anything?

It also shows how fast things electronic were moving then. The only Western receiver that could pick up Sputnik was the Lovell at Jodrell Bank, a mere 250ft across. (http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/viscen/) By Sputnik's time you could do it at home!

John

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:09 am

I'm a little too young for sputnik but I thought you could hear its beep signal over AM radio???

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:25 am

My apologies,

"In 1954, amateur astronomers around the world were able to detect the radio signals emitted by Sputnik. But the Lovell telescope was the only instrument in the West able to track the beachball-sized metal ball's booster rocket through radar"

From http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/ ... ersary.php

The "Lovell" is the Mk 1 radio telescope at Jodrell Bank near Manchester, now named after Sir Bernard Lovell who lead its construction and use.
See: http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk ... story.html

Someone else uses as a signature line the quote about Einstein, that it is quite a man whose mistakes take ten years to correct. Mine took less than 24 hours.

John

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:17 am

Actually, JohnD, it took me less than a second to see your mistake as I read your post.

Sorry it took you so long. :wink:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938