X-ray Stars of Orion (APOD 06 Oct 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
tvkrys
Ensign

X-ray Stars of Orion (APOD 06 Oct 2007)

Post by tvkrys » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 pm

A stupid question perhaps - but the center star of "the Belt" has a blue dot in the center of the corona. None of the other stars has that. Is it because the star is so much brighter that it's burned in, or because there is a fortuitous eclipse happening, or am I missing the point?

TIA, Krys
God Bless America!

Case
Commander

Re: X-ray Stars of Orion - APOD 2007 Oct 6

Post by Case » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 pm

My guess would be that it is a mask to block out radiation from that location to prevent overexposure.

Funny how some stars that are present in visible light are gone in [url=hhttp://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/orion/orion_xray.jpg]x-ray[/url], and vise versa. And that the four main Trapezium stars that seem so equal in visible light are so different in x-ray.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: X-ray Stars of Orion - APOD 2007 Oct 6

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:08 pm

tvkrys wrote:A stupid question perhaps - but the center star of "the Belt" has a blue dot in the center of the corona. None of the other stars has that. Is it because the star is so much brighter that it's burned in, or because there is a fortuitous eclipse happening, or am I missing the point?
It is an imaging artifact. It may be the result of saturation, or of the way the different energy values were mapped to colors. Resolving an eclipse or transit would be impossible, as all the stars are point sources. They only appear larger because of diffraction. For the same reason, you are not resolving the star, and are therefore not seeing the corona, or any other part of the star's structure.

BTW, these are the Trapezium stars at the heart of the Orion Nebula. The belt stars are far outside this field.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com