Carina Nebula Dark Clouds, GHOSTLY&SPOOKY (28 May 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Dave PDX
Asternaut

Carina Nebula Dark Clouds, GHOSTLY&SPOOKY (28 May 2008)

Post by Dave PDX » Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 am

When I enlarge the APOD of May 28, 2008, ghostly images appear.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080528.html

Is this a Halloween/April Fool's type joke?

I understand the basic picture is a crop of the blown up photo.

But I count five apparitions, from the full screen one on the left to the little one on the right.

Just spooky.

Thanks for any info, Dave PDX
Dave PDX

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 am

I'm not sure about 'Halloween/April Fool's Day', but that is an AWESOME image!!! 8)
I especially love how it looks enlarged!

(Keep up the great work, PTB! :D )
Forget the box, just get outside.

zbvhs
Science Officer

Post by zbvhs » Wed May 28, 2008 11:39 am

Some of the objects in the larger view don't seem to have been named. For example, east and a little south of Eta Carinae is a sharply defined spherical structure a couple or three light years across. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Something energetic must be inside but it's obscured by the shell of the object.
Virgil H. Soule

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Wed May 28, 2008 12:45 pm

It's an amazing image, going light-years beyond what we're used to seeing in both resolution and scale. Hats off to the Hubble Heritage team! Preparation of this mosaic must truly have been a heroic undertaking in digital image processing.

One thing bothers me, though... It's quite obviously not a visual color image. I wish they would make it clear what the colors represent.

In the highest magnification image in various places I can see many tiny dark masses - bok globules? - silhouetted against the light background. I can only imagine that these are new solar systems forming... Fantastic stuff indeed.

Interstellar bubbles, shock fronts, stellar nurseries, glowing gas, dark silhouettes swirling on a cosmic scale... Awesome doesn't begin to cover this!

-Noel

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 28, 2008 1:19 pm

NoelC wrote:One thing bothers me, though... It's quite obviously not a visual color image. I wish they would make it clear what the colors represent.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archiv ... 6/image/a/

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Like sea serpents poking their heads out of a choppy sea. :P
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 pm

The immense nebula is an estimated 7,500 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina the Keel (of the old southern constellation Argo Navis, the ship of Jason and the Argonauts, from Greek mythology).

This image is a mosaic of the Carina Nebula assembled from 48 frames taken with Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys. The Hubble images were taken in the light of neutral hydrogen. Color information was added with data taken at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile. Red corresponds to sulfur, green to hydrogen, and blue to oxygen emission.
Best Resolution ever:
http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2007 ... ll_jpg.jpg
200 megs+
29566 X 14321

I just pooped my pants. =/

My computer will crash if I try to load that...
but dang... can the resolution get any better? Oh wait... yes, it needs to, so we can zoom into each little black globule that is resting within this fantastic imagery.

FIX THE HUBBLE SO IT LASTS A HUNDRED YEARS... or so. A gift to our grandchildren's grandchildren, so they can laugh at what our primitive technology was compared to what theirs will be.

=b

tom2688
Ensign

apod 5/28

Post by tom2688 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:05 pm

what an incredible picture! it takes your breath away, and to be able to use one of my direction arrows on my keyboard after enlarging the picture to its max and move slowly through 300 light years of the image with so much going on in it is just awsome. wow...

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Wed May 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Hello All,

Never in my wildest drea..........well...maybe in my wildest, did I expect such resolution and clarity of the edges of the molecular cloud areas even when zooming in at maximum. Techies rule!!!
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Sputnick
Science Officer
AKA: Sputnick

Post by Sputnick » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 am

I enjoy the race between the two octopusdogs .. and the big splash. Yeah man .. life is everywhere.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Dark Clouds of the Carina Nebula - GHOSTLY&SPOOKY (2

Post by neufer » Thu May 29, 2008 1:24 am

Dave PDX wrote:But I count five apparitions, from the full screen one on the left to the little one on the right. Just spooky.
PHANTASMAGORIA (1869) by Lewis Carroll
CANTO I The Trystyng -

"A Spectre has first choice, by right,
In filling up a vacancy;
Then Phantom, Goblin, Elf, and Sprite-
If all these fail them, they invite
The nicest Ghoul that they can see. -

Last edited by neufer on Thu May 29, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Thu May 29, 2008 1:26 am

Not bad for amateurs, Apodman, but for real visions of hell check out Gustave Dore`s bible. Sorry, but I can't provide a url.

Doré's English Bible (1866) was a great success, and in 1867 Doré had a major exhibition of his work in London.
If man were made to fly he wouldn't need alcohol .. lots and lots and lots of alcohol to get through the furors while maintaining the fervors.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 am

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Post by jesusfreak16 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:22 am

Here's a creepy image.
It's the galaxy-eating hand!! :lol:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070806.html
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 am

Some interesting comments to ponder:

In the APOD text: "these clouds are typically much less dense than Earth's atmosphere"... Does this imply that some are as dense or even more dense than Earth's atmosphere? Imagine cosmic birds/animals flying/swimming through a molecular cloud dense enough to support life as we know it.

From the HubbleSite "ABOUT THIS IMAGE:" text: "The fireworks in the Carina region started three million years ago"... So if the Universe is 13+ billion years old, what caused this massive cloud of gas and dust to coalesce and form stars just cosmic moments ago? Did a satellite galaxy pass close by? Was it an energetic outburst from Eta Carinae?

Lastly, what's the latest word on servicing the now broken Advanced Camera for Surveys? Is there any hope for the Hubble to continue past the Shuttle era?

-Noel

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 pm

NoelC wrote:In the APOD text: "these clouds are typically much less dense than Earth's atmosphere"... Does this imply that some are as dense or even more dense than Earth's atmosphere? Imagine cosmic birds/animals flying/swimming through a molecular cloud dense enough to support life as we know it.
If this is the "birthplace of stars" then at some point at least some part of it has to become a lot more dense than earth's atmosphere, don't you think?
NoelC wrote:Lastly, what's the latest word on servicing the now broken Advanced Camera for Surveys? Is there any hope for the Hubble to continue past the Shuttle era?
See: HubbleSite - Servicing Mission 4
and: NASA - Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Mission 4 Summary

HST SM4 should extend Hubble's life past 2013. The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is scheduled for launch in 2013.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Thu May 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I guess I made an arbitrary mental distinction between "dust" and "molecular clouds" and was thinking of the latter pulling itself in to such a density as to be able to support life, but somehow without squeezing down to form a star or planetary system - at some point becoming a vast floating atmosphere rich with hydrogen, oxygen, water... Of course it's clear that a significant enough mass of the stuff will eventually coalesce and squeeze down to form a star.

I wonder if the actual moment of star formation, when the nuclear furnace first starts up is an extinction event... Could there be beings surfing the Herbig Haro shock fronts?

-Noel

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

NoelC wrote:I guess I made an arbitrary mental distinction between "dust" and "molecular clouds" and was thinking of the latter pulling itself in to such a density as to be able to support life, but somehow without squeezing down to form a star or planetary system - at some point becoming a vast floating atmosphere rich with hydrogen, oxygen, water... Of course it's clear that a significant enough mass of the stuff will eventually coalesce and squeeze down to form a star.

I wonder if the actual moment of star formation, when the nuclear furnace first starts up is an extinction event... Could there be beings surfing the Herbig Haro shock fronts?

-Noel
Have you read Larry Niven's The Integral Trees? :)
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Fri May 30, 2008 1:24 am

Apodman .. wow .. yeah like that one .. and like his drawing of Noah's boat drifting away from the people on the mountaintops. And what is to come upon our planet shortly. I'm glad to see this new JesusFreak guy on the forum .. miracles of the Last Days, etc.

Noel C has visions.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 am

Hello JesusFreak16,

Welcome to the Forum. I appreciated your response to the posted reply to your question regarding the Square Nebula. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Do you know who Sophia is?
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Fri May 30, 2008 2:37 am

"I wonder if the actual moment of star formation, when the nuclear furnace first starts up is an extinction event... Could there be beings surfing the Herbig Haro shock fronts? "

Uhh. I think that when the density of the cloud is the same of the earth atmosphere or denser, then the gravity collaps all of it in a matter of a few thousand years or less into the creation of a new star. So in that short time, no life will have appear to witness the creation of a new star and it own end. I might be wrong tho. :shock: But i doubt it. Who knows? :cry:

kovil
Science Officer

the eta Carinae radio arc

Post by kovil » Fri May 30, 2008 3:01 am

Art, neufer;

Great identifying of the areas in the photo and the two scales at top right !! Thanks very much for these. I wasn't certain where eta Carinae was, nor of the size scale, I appreciate your efforts very much !

In a circle 3-5 light years surrounding eta Carinae there looks to be a huge magnetic field creating a similarly shaped structure to the Galactic Center Radio Arc at the center of our galaxy. I suspect they are the same dynamic of conception; electric currents in plasma which cause a magnetic field, the magnetic fields then focus the plasma into Birkeland strands, the magnetic focusing of the plasma makes a more efficient path for the current to flow, which then makes the magnetic fields stronger. This is a dynamic system and it is still evolving, and at a 6 x 10 light years size it's rather big !!!

Perhaps this is what Rickie Lee Jones meant by her album title 'Ghosty Head'.

Sputnick
Science Officer

Post by Sputnick » Fri May 30, 2008 3:58 pm

Duom's quote - "Uhh. I think that when the density of the cloud is the same of the earth atmosphere or denser"

Duom .. Life is so variable in form and environment even here on earth that life in space will have evolved in totally unimaginable environments, pressures, temperatures, etc.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 pm

jesusfreak16 wrote:Here's a creepy image.
It's the galaxy-eating hand!! :lol:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070806.html
Would the real Galactus please stand up, please stand up... =b