Chasing the ISS (APOD 04 Jun 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
gadieid
Ensign

Chasing the ISS (APOD 04 Jun 2008)

Post by gadieid » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:17 am

Great Photo. I am most happy with the confirmation that it is possible to see the external fuel tank separately from the STS. I remember once seeing the STS (I think it was 120 or 121) 20 minutes after the launch and there were two white doted, which took me a while to understand but I quickly understand that it was the separated external fuel tank which fall into the Indian Ocean which fitted my position (Israel).
The external fuel tank is not as bright as the STS so it reflects less light but it was visible none-the less and it appears a little after the STS and in a quite different Orbit since it was losing speed and height preparing into its fall some several minutes later.
Gadi

Nando
Asternaut

Post by Nando » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello. Yes, great combined photo. Has anyone else noticed the vertical column of blue light from the middle (bottom) of the photo on the horizon? If so, can anyone shed light on what the nature of the blue light column is due to? Thanks!

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Nando wrote:Hello. Yes, great combined photo. Has anyone else noticed the vertical column of blue light from the middle (bottom) of the photo on the horizon? If so, can anyone shed light on what the nature of the blue light column is due to? Thanks!
Sun Dog?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
Regards,
Andy.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm

I don't think it's a sundog. It's a long straight pillar, and it's definitely blue-hued.

It's not a sun pillar, either, as it is offset from the sun.

I think it's a fixed, vertically oriented spotlight a couple miles away, perhaps just for the purpose of creating that glow (maybe something promotional?)
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)