Dextre-i-tease (APOD 11 Jun 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Dextre-i-tease (APOD 11 Jun 2008)

Post by emc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:07 am

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080611.html

"I am the Lone Locust of the apocalypse. Think of me when you look to the night sky."
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Dextre-i-tease

Post by bystander » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:23 pm

emc wrote:"I am the Lone Locust of the Apocalypse. Think of me when you look to the night sky."
That's no locust! That's a mantis. Here he is, again, "Dextre the Magnificent".

Actually, even Zorak was confused, referring to himself as a locust, as did Space Ghost. Lokar was the locust.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Re: Dextre-i-tease

Post by emc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

bystander wrote:That's no locust! That's a mantis. Here he is, again, "Dextre the Magnificent".
I think Zorak the mantis is referring to his devouring evil nature when he refers to himself as the "Lone Locust"... While a "real" mantis is our friend... an evil and twisted mantis mind will tend to concieve of itself as many bizarre and magnificent things as a means to project power. We must be on guard regarding Dextre's motivation... :wink:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:03 pm

From the caption:
The Kibo laboratory segment being deployed during space shuttle Discovery's trip to the ISS can be pressurized
The Kibo PM (pressurized module) not just can be pressurized, it's never been depressurized.

Interesting to see it sitting on Destiny like that. I've never seen any well organized information about where it can move and grapple and detailed capabilities. I always envision it as being used mainly on the end of Canadarm.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I am curious why (currently at least) when clicking on the 'fire rainbow' link in the APOD of June 10th 2008 it brings up the APOD of June 11th 2008 (Dextre Robot at Work on the Space Station). It is presumably a wrong link but I wonder if there may be some connection that I'm unaware of. :? but still :) ing.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:28 am

The 'fire rainbow' link in the APOD of June 10th now brings up the APOD of June 12th, so it seems that link brings up the newest APOD. How odd! :)

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:How odd!
The HTML code in the page,

Code: Select all

<a href=" "
>fire rainbow</a>
shows an empty link, which makes the three browsers that I tested with (Safari, Firefox, iCab), link back to the originating page itself.
IMHO, the maintainers should remove the empty link or fill in a better reference.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you Case for your reply. :)