APOD: Starry Night over Dubai (2011 Jul 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
revloren
Ensign

Re: APOD: Starry Night over Dubai (2011 Jul 16)

Post by revloren » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 am

The real sign of ostentacious excess here is that the Burj is pretty much empty, having been completed just after the global financial meltdown. Dubai and other desert boomtowns (such as Las Vegas) stand as our testement to our wretched excess and obsession with temporary glitz to the detriment of real development for our civilizations. I'll bet there are some Bedouin populations living not far from there that could have used some improved access to clean drinking water rather than another empty skyscraper. Pretty picture though! :roll:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:53 pm

revloren wrote:
The real sign of ostentacious excess here is that the Burj is pretty much empty, having been completed just after the global financial meltdown. Dubai and other desert boomtowns (such as Las Vegas) stand as our testement to our wretched excess and obsession with temporary glitz to the detriment of real development for our civilizations. I'll bet there are some Bedouin populations living not far from there that could have used some improved access to clean drinking water rather than another empty skyscraper. Pretty picture though! :roll:
Some Bedouin populations living not far from there would be schussing you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Dubai wrote:

<<Ski Dubai is an indoor ski resort with 22,500 square metres of indoor ski area. It is a part of the Mall of the Emirates, one of the largest shopping malls in the world, located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It was developed by Majid Al Futtaim Properties, which also operates the Mall of the Emirates.

Opened in November 2005, the indoor resort features an 60-meter high indoor mountain with 5 slopes of varying steepness and difficulty, including a 400-metre-long run, the world's first indoor black run, and a 90-metre-long quarter pipe for snowboarders. A quad lift and a tow lift carry skiers and snowboarders up the mountain. Adjoining the slopes is a 3,000-square-metre Snow Park play area comprising sled and toboggan runs, an icy body slide, climbing towers, a snowball shooting gallery, an ice cave and a 3D theatre. Other attractions include a mirror maze and a snowman-making area. Winter clothing, ski and snowboard equipment are included in the price of admission.

An extremely efficient insulation system helps the facility maintain a temperature of −1 °C during the day and −6 °C at night when the snow is produced. In 2007 Ski Dubai was awarded the Thea Outstanding Achievement Award by the Themed Entertainment Association.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm

WOW! Go to the desert and play in the snow. What'll they think of next? Golfing on the moon??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Beyond wrote:WOW! Go to the desert and play in the snow. What'll they think of next? Golfing on the moon??
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18079

How about Saturn's moons?
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23671
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:54 am

Mr. Tafreshi's work is greatly admired by those of us who prefer star gazing from earthbound vistas (sorry NASA!) but this is one of his worst photos because its not natural at all. Dubai? Really? Contrast with fantastic February 2, 2008 "Venus and Jupiter in Morning Skies" which is just breath-taking. I'd ask him not to put the star indentifers on the image but continue to make us WORK to look them up for ourselves ( which I enjoyed doing for the latter using http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/ and your photo caption to geographic location and time of day ).

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Guest wrote:Mr. Tafreshi's work is greatly admired by those of us who prefer star gazing from earthbound vistas (sorry NASA!) but this is one of his worst photos because its not natural at all.
Why does an image need to be "natural"? The sky over Dubai is how most humans now experience nighttime. As this discussion has demonstrated, an image like this has many lessons to deliver... which is an indicator of its success.
Last edited by Chris Peterson on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Guest wrote:Mr. Tafreshi's work is greatly admired by those of us who prefer star gazing from earthbound vistas (sorry NASA!) but this is one of his worst photos because its not natural at all. Dubai? Really? Contrast with fantastic February 2, 2008 "Venus and Jupiter in Morning Skies" which is just breath-taking. I'd ask him not to put the star indentifers on the image but continue to make us WORK to look them up for ourselves ( which I enjoyed doing for the latter using http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/ and your photo caption to geographic location and time of day ).
I find it very helpful when an annotated version of an APOD can be brought up, so I respectfully disagree with your request that annotated versions of APODs should not be made available (I assume that it is really all APODs and not just "Mr. Tafreshi's work" that you are referring to). I do not see what the problem is as surely you can do what you want to do using the non-annotated version of an APOD. If for some reason you need a copy of that version then simply take a screen capture of the non-annotated APOD. I like to see APODs but I have no desire to have to "WORK" out what their stars are.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Personally, I too like the image.
That Building is a monument to what man can achieve.
I think they should take it a step further though and redesign the buildings surrounding the northern, eastern, and western areas to resemble roman numerals from above, then the view from the top would give you the worlds largest sundial clock