APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
lsbrandon

Re: APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Post by lsbrandon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm

bummer! usually APOD is beautiful -- and at the least is very informative. This is neither -- QRs have been around for months now, and even if it was 'cute', that's not what I want to see when I first log on (there is way too much faux-cute on the internet already!). BAD DOG - NO BISCUIT!!!

Deadpan411

Post by Deadpan411 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Duke wrote:Print out the QR code and put it somewhere where it might lead the public to our favorite Astro picture site. I think this is the meaning of today's APOD.

I like your perspective on this opportunity they have given us to increase awareness of this beautiful universe.

ourkind
Asternaut

Post by ourkind » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Finally I had no choice but to download a bar code reader app. Thanks! To all those complaints go and click in the archives I'm sure it still holds some surprises.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm

i am from what you call the pleiades. i loved it!

Brichard

Post by Brichard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 pm

I would much rather see a false color image of something that is a compilation of lots and lots of little pictures and is retouched. I also really really hate change and can't deal when something I have come to think of as consistant does something I dont understand. please just post pretty pictures from now on. please?

healingmagichands

Post by healingmagichands » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 pm

I too was quite disappointed by the "APOD" today. What in the name of heaven were you thinking????????

Basbrun

Post by Basbrun » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

What's the point? A lesson on recursivity? I don't think this is the right place. Please stick to astronomy pictures ...

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 pm

As a regular at Asterisk, I find the complaints somewhat puzzling because so many of those posting them have never posted here before to say, "What a GREAT image!" when APOD has pleased them. If you LIKE something, doesn't that deserve at least as much effort, as much comment, as some of you are providing now to say you DON'T like something?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Keating

Post by Chris Keating » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Boy! There sure are a bunch of sour apples commenting today. One APOD you don't care for and you're off to the races. Get a sense of humor!

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks Chris. That's exactly how I feel. Where do all these unregistered people come from anyhow? Probably from their mommas basement. Probably just one or two and switching their identities :?. Thanks today's APOD people. Now if I ever get a smart phone I'll know how to check a bar code.

Arc2rus

Post by Arc2rus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Come on folks, give the APOD people a break! An occasional APOD may be somewhat underwhelming, but its still a fantastic site. I use it as my homepage, and love to have the first thing my computer wakes up to be something that is at least interesting, and, more often than not, spectacular and mind-boggling.

holly2hi

Post by holly2hi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm

wow i look at the apod everyday but this is very disappointing. some of us dont have smartphones. i hope this mishap doesnt happen again....

wildbarry

Post by wildbarry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm

APOD, thanks for the brief stop at an unexpected port.
A good education often leads to strange exotic places and I appreciate this brief visit.

Hypercritics...LIGHTEN UP PLEASE :D

AReeves

Post by AReeves » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I thought this was really entertaining--especially the links in the explanation below the picture. I love it when the person writing about the image attaches comedic pictures and videos to the paragraph! Good job, APOD :)

Whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" This is a free website, folks! No need to go blazing forums and leaving wakes of utter destruction in your paths because of a single 24-hour period that isn't an astronomy picture. If you're that hard up, go out every night and look at the sky on your own with an amateur telescope instead of relying on a website. Plus, if anyone hasn't noticed, APOD is starting to re-use some of their older pictures, even doing so several times. I personally like that they're branching out a bit. There would be no cool pictures or science without similarly cool technology.

woodyatapod

Post by woodyatapod » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Well, I find QR codes interesting, being a software developer and EE. As far as applicability to the theme of APOD, well, its a stretch, but how often are QR codes used in manufacturing processes for satellites and astronomy related supply chain activities? I for one like and appreciate APODs occasional excursions into other realms (as longs as its occasional please ;-). Thanks guys!

bobcaronna@yahoo.com

Post by bobcaronna@yahoo.com » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:14 pm

What does this have to do with astronomy? You people have forgotten what "apod" means.

katesh

Post by katesh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Francerve wrote:Be thanked for your images, you amateurs and enjoy ! For today’s intriguing image is to be sent to others, placed on boards, a way to SHARE your emotions with others… Isn’t it a brilliant idea !
Many great thanks to you, dear Apod Team, every day you make us marvel at stars or earth phenomenons and enlarge our field of view with sth to think upon. Must be a real challenge to select a piece every day, thanks a lot !
I like it ! as they say now with all these new communication modes…
As for these criticisms, they intrigue me more than this QR Code… do some people really think they own this free Picture of the Day ? :wink:
Francerve
well Francerve! it's been pointed out many times before... This is not free! NASA is funded by my Tax Dollars! Do you think the JWST is free? or Hubble, or the Shuttles that placed it and repaired it? It's Only free if you are from another country!
Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer

that looks like a mission statement to me! I'd say they are off mission! do you see a picture or image of the cosmos? do you see the description by a "professional astronomer".

Lepulcher

Post by Lepulcher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Marketing-wise, QR Codes are a complete turn-off.
They make people angry.

zoomer

Post by zoomer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Lot of pissed off people here. Seriously, you should demand your money back.

JOELP

Post by JOELP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm

DONT BE CRANKS ABOUT TODAYS PHOTO, LIGHTEN UP

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

owlice wrote:As a regular at Asterisk, I find the complaints somewhat puzzling because so many of those posting them have never posted here before to say, "What a GREAT image!" when APOD has pleased them. If you LIKE something, doesn't that deserve at least as much effort, as much comment, as some of you are providing now to say you DON'T like something?

Well said, owlice!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Forget the box, just get outside.

Funny man

Post by Funny man » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Funny how people get angry so easily because they didn´t have their APOD.

Funny man

Post by Funny man » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:37 pm

hahahahahaha :lol:

DosBoot

Post by DosBoot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Really? Years of great pictures with explanations and occasionally a fun departure from astro-pics and you morons go off on it.
Get a grip. You try doing a web page every day for years and see if you don't throw in a fun one now and then.