APOD: Blue Marble Earth from Suomi NPP (2012 Jan 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: Blue Marble Earth from Suomi NPP (2012 Jan 30)

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:38 pm

bystander wrote:
We travel together, passengers on a little spaceship, dependent on its vulnerable reserves of air and soil;
all committed, for our safety, to its security and peace; preserved from annihilation only by the care,
the work and the love we give our fragile craft.
~ Adlai Stevenson ~ Geneva (09 July 1965)

Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (5 February 1900 – 14 July 1965)
Adlai Stevenson II: Death and Legacy wrote:
<<While walking in London with Marietta Tree through Grosvenor Square, Stevenson suffered a heart attack on the afternoon of July 14, 1965, and died later that day of heart failure at St George's Hospital. Marietta Tree recalled:

[After leaving the Embassy] [w]e walked around the neighborhood a little bit and where his house had been where he had lived with his family at the end of the War, there was now an apartment house and he said that makes me feel so old. Indeed, the whole walk made him feel very not so much nostalgic but so much older. As we were walking along the street he said do not walk quite so fast and do hold your head up Marietta. I was burrowing ahead trying to get to the park as quickly as possible and then the next thing I knew, I turned around and I saw he'd gone white, gray really, and he fell and his hand brushed me as he fell and he hit the pavement with the most terrible crack and I thought he'd fractured his skull.

Following memorial services at the United Nations General Assembly Hall (on July 19, 1965), and in Washington, D.C.; Springfield, Illinois; and Bloomington, Illinois, Stevenson was interred in the family plot in Evergreen Cemetery, Bloomington, Illinois. The funeral in Bloomington's Unitarian Church was attended by many national figures, including President Lyndon B. Johnson, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, and Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren.>>
Art Neuendorffer