APOD editor to speak in New York in January

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD editor to speak in New York in January

Post by RJN » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:59 pm

APOD editor Robert Nemiroff will speak on 2005 January 7 at 6:30 pm at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. After the talk, weather permitting, attendees will be encouraged to cross the street into Central Park and attend a viewing session of Comet Machholz as it passes nearly in front of the Pleiades. The lecture and viewing are free. Nemiroff does not bite.

The talk topic will be "The Best Astronomy Pictures of 2004" and will feature APOD images subjectively deemed the "best" of 2004, along with background and commentary. The lecturer speaks as a guest of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York. Interested sky enthusiasts should meet in the Kaufmann Auditorium after entering the 77th street entrance of the museum. Last year's talk surprisingly became "standing room only", so please arrive early to be sure of getting a seat.

APODnthuzst

Send Robert On Tour

Post by APODnthuzst » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:50 pm

For those of us who prefer to live somewhere besides NYC?

John

Podcast?

Post by John » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:37 pm

If anyone is planning to attend, can you record the talk as an MP3 and put it up on an FTP or podcast site? I'd love to attend but live over on the left coast.

John
jevdemon AT acm.org

PS: Happy Holidays!

leadpenny

C-SPAN Coverage?

Post by leadpenny » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:08 am

Maybe C-SPAN could provide coverage of the speech?

http://www.c-span.org

Lukeonia1

Lukeonia1 AT bis DOT midco DOT net

Post by Lukeonia1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:10 am

I second the idea of releasing an MP3 of the speech (perhaps alongside the January 8th APOD). Image Given the amount of traffic this site must get, I tend to think relatively few visitors actually live in the NYC area. It wouldn't seem fair to the rest of us to miss out on the lecture. Image

I'd attend myself if I didn't live 2000 miles away... :P

Tom H.

APOD NYC lecture

Post by Tom H. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:42 pm

How about a recorded webcast with audio and slides...?

StargzrK

Our votes for the best?

Post by StargzrK » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:12 pm

Which pictures do you like the best? My favorites are the heart nebula, eagle nebula, and rose nebulas which I have as backgrounds at work, home, and on my laptop. God bless the Hubble!!

Happy ChrisMaHannaQuanzas & Happy New Year!

Ken
:D

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:18 am

I would love to hear this lecture as well, what hope for us folk in the UK?

Happy Holidays,

Johnmc.

Sidco7

Webcast

Post by Sidco7 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:53 am

Hi, I'm all for a webcast as well. I'm located in Canada and also on the left coast. 8) so just can't wander over to NY for a quick lecture.

boswachter

A webcast would be very well

Post by boswachter » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:35 am

I could even benefit of it here in Kiev, Ukraine :)

Happy holidays to everyone

Henk

PS: Christmas is on January, 7 here...

Heinz-Peter

APOD

Post by Heinz-Peter » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:55 pm

Dear friends,
From Austria (Europe), I'm looking to APOD images nearly every day and I enjoy them very much. Unfortunately I'm too far away to attend your interesting discourse.
Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Heinz-Peter

b lingam
Asternaut

Post by b lingam » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:23 pm

Well, I have a dentist appointment in Boston that day, but I really want to get down to NYC for the lecture. I'll see what I can do, but I really need some teeth.

tricks46

Re: APOD editor to speak in New York in January

Post by tricks46 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:51 am

RJN wrote: Nemiroff does not bite.
Thanks!

SkyMaven

Re: Podcast?

Post by SkyMaven » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:36 am

John wrote:If anyone is planning to attend, can you record the talk as an MP3 and put it up on an FTP or podcast site? I'd love to attend but live over on the left coast.
Count my vote! I'd love to hear it, too. Guess I moved away from NY too soon, ack. Here in Vegas we don't get great lectures like that, sigh...

Marian

yoyo

Post by yoyo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:12 am

I live in sweden :cry:

David

Re: Our votes for the best?

Post by David » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:56 pm

StargzrK wrote:Which pictures do you like the best? My favorites are the heart nebula, eagle nebula, and rose nebulas which I have as backgrounds at work, home, and on my laptop. God bless the Hubble!!

Happy ChrisMaHannaQuanzas & Happy New Year!

Ken
:D
Mine was the fake bug.

Horah for RJN

Re: APOD editor to speak in New York in January

Post by Horah for RJN » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:59 pm

tricks46 wrote:
RJN wrote: Nemiroff does not bite.
Thanks!
But MT does and so did Raisin :lol:

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Who might MT be? I am not familiar with raisin :?:

Dolphindov

Reply to NeSmirnoff in the Sky with Diamonds

Post by Dolphindov » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:54 am

Hi Nesmirnoff!

Never in my live did I dream that I could see so great pictures.
For Years. Every day!

Yes, talk to them up in New York. Talk. The waters are too cold for me to come over. May be during the hurricance season. Down around that cape where you shoot the stars, to take care of some clouds...

But promise me, for Christmas and New Year, that we'll get another 364 pictures for 2005!

Even cuties only interested in astrology and paraphysics switched to astronomy thanks to your and other peoples work...

Nick Lightfoot

site popularity

Post by Nick Lightfoot » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:24 am

Wow, I didn't know that APOD was this popular. I found out about it when I took an Astronomy class from Dr. Nemiroff a few years ago.

ean.craigie

Webcast

Post by ean.craigie » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:15 am

I am in Saudi Arabia and would love to be able to see a webcast

Bernard

Re: Podcast?

Post by Bernard » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:57 am

John wrote:If anyone is planning to attend, can you record the talk as an MP3 and put it up on an FTP or podcast site? I'd love to attend but live over on the left coast.
I live in France... mp3 is a great idea, & quite simple to implement at that ! Would love it.

Bernard

Left Coast Leftie

Lecture in NYC

Post by Left Coast Leftie » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:30 pm

I look at APOD daily and get inspiration from it. I concur: record the lecture and have it available online.

Cheers from an eccentric retired ol' lady, who might have been a cutie once but NEVER was into astrology!

Jim

Lecture in NYC

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:12 am

... another vote for some form of recording/transcript!

Apod 'Down under' would love to be there, but alas.....

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:07 pm

From Ron Bell ( Apod mirror - Australia ) http://www.quicksolve.com.au/apod/

A web cast or a mp3 would be great. I'm a little more than 2000 miles away.. (-; How far is it across the planet?

Anyway i would love to hear it too. ( happy to host the mp3 file/s ) for general download. If anyone has them ( or can get them ) contact me via the web form on the 'about APOD' link. Sorry i don't give the email address out without initial contact as i have quite enough junk emial already.