APOD editor to speak in New York in January

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ayiomamitis
Science Officer

Post by Ayiomamitis » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:20 pm

I can also offer to act as a (European) mirror site in hosting any files. I have a 4 Gb bandwidth per month and I am sure I can assist in this matter as well.

If this is something which will be annual, I can set up a permanent web page on my site for 2005 and all future presentations.

Resistance is futile, APOD rules !!!
Anthony Ayiomamitis
http://www.perseus.gr

John

No takers on MP3?

Post by John » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:44 pm

There are a number of free podcasting sites that could host the MP3 file.

Can anyone fom APOD comment?

Sally patel

sales@raza.com

Post by Sally patel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 am

largest selection of calling card online
<a href="http://www.callingcardfactory.com/">
http://www.callingcardfactory.com/</a></p>

patbernier

One more vote!

Post by patbernier » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:47 am

One more vote for a recording, from a very addicted reader currently living in Japan!

I also volunteer for hosting a mirror of the files -- although that should not be necessary if Bittorrent is used ^_^

--
Patrick Bernier <pat@TZoNE.ORG>

CJR

APOD talk

Post by CJR » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:51 am

Like many others I would like to attend but live just a smidgeon too far away: Hampshire, England - beam me acrosss Scotty?

I have had APOD as my home page for years now and check it every day, it is excellent. I frequently recommend it to members of our Amateur Astronomy Society, see http://www.andoverastronomy.org.uk.

Clear and dark skies

Charles Roach

Suzebear
Asternaut

Nemiroff to visit NY

Post by Suzebear » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Now here is another reason for the invention/development of a teleporter.

It would be great if this presentation were made availabe in both and electronic format (i.e. MP3) and as a downloadable document (i.e. PDF), for those who cannot use one format but can use the alternate format. I cannot attend the lecture and am sure that it would be informative and entertaining. My home page is APOD as well and constantly refer friends and colleagues to it. Many of the pages have become wallpaper as well.

Thanks Mrs. Nemiroff and Bonnell for great work!

Suzebear

MrDon

Post by MrDon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:09 pm

The obvious first appeal of the APOD site is the picture - but I believe the real value is the hyperlink text. I very much appreciate the time that the APOD authors put into the text. The hyperlinks have taken me to some wonderful side trips that are fascinating, beautiful, intriguing and many times confusing for this simple lay person. However, I love trying to follow along and glean additional knowledge.

The picture is just the icing on the cake.

The Meal
Ensign

Post by The Meal » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:31 pm

MrDon wrote:The obvious first appeal of the APOD site is the picture - but I believe the real value is the hyperlink text. I very much appreciate the time that the APOD authors put into the text. The hyperlinks have taken me to some wonderful side trips that are fascinating, beautiful, intriguing and many times confusing for this simple lay person. However, I love trying to follow along and glean additional knowledge.

The picture is just the icing on the cake.
Personally I can't decide between which of the two is more valuable. I suppose on some days (such as when we get an artist's vision for an astronomical sight) the text is the clear winner, while on other days the breathtaking photo giving a proper sense of awe in the universe is the star of the show.

My father still lives back in rural Michigan, and this is the time of year in which our conversations tend to revolve around discussions of the National Hockey League (which is currently inactive due to a dispute between the players and owners with regards to their bargain agreement). With the lack of the NHL, it's become more and more that the APOD is our link to each other. He's a retired foreman for a county Road Commission that managed to graduate from High School in 1956. I'm an active analyist and experimentation expert ("lab monkey") for a prominent hard disk drive manufacturer that completed his Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering in 2000. Clearly the two of us see the various APODs in very different light, and yet there's a commonality ingrained in the photographs that speaks to us as curious humans of any background. I doubt he finds the scientific (or humorous!) hyperlinks nearly as entertaining as I, but he's sending me links to the APODs more often than I'm sending links to him (probably because he has a 2-time-zone advantage over me and my morning websurfing).

To toss out a question that likely will never been seen by the appropriate authorities, after seeing Today's APOD, I became curious as to whom has had the most original submissions published as APODs. Jimmy Westlake has had quite a few magnificent shots (DSOs, comets, the transit of Venus IIRC, etc) in recent months (many of which have become temporary desktop backgrounds for yours truly), and purely due to his APOD exposure I've become aware of his amazing photography. Are there even more popular contributors over the storied history of the APOD?

~Neal
BSME, Michigan Tech 1995
MSME, Michigan Tech 2000

EBE

Lecturer to the world

Post by EBE » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:24 am

At times like this, I wish I lived in a big city like New York. A MP3 of this prestigious lecture would be most welcome. A web-friendly movie file or stream would be "out of this world." I take this opportunity to extend a well deserved "Thank you!" to all of the dedicated and talented people who make APOD possible.

BTW: For any Mac users who don't know about AutoAPOD, you should. :D

eljay

Re: Nemiroff to visit NY

Post by eljay » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:15 am

Suzebear

Thanks Mrs. Nemiroff and Bonnell for great work!
Suzebear
I think you mean Messrs. Nemiroff and Bonnell (unless you are thanking their mothers) :lol: ...count me in as a left coaster who would love this!! Has APOD replied yet to requests for broadcast?

Schott,GerdlLutz

Post by Schott,GerdlLutz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:44 am

:o
A merry x-mas and a happy new year 2005.It is the best world wide
web.page for us amateurs.
sincerely yours
G.Schott

jschutz16

APOD lecture

Post by jschutz16 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:35 pm

I live in Orlando, so won't be making the trip to NYC. I'd love to see a PDF version of the talk with links to the pictures. (I don't have an MP3 player). I check the site every day also, and have built a screensaver with some of my favorites. Keep up the great work, guys!

obeck

Re: Our votes for the best?

Post by obeck » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:53 pm

StargzrK wrote:Which pictures do you like the best? My favorites are the heart nebula, eagle nebula, and rose nebulas which I have as backgrounds at work, home, and on my laptop. God bless the Hubble!!

Happy ChrisMaHannaQuanzas & Happy New Year!

Ken
:D
I thought the picture of one of Saturns moons pulling matter from a ring was great. You know these things happen during solar system formation, but that picture shows it in action

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

Hi all and thanks for your gracious responses. I am on travel
just now and typing this from a library. Here are a few answers:

1. No teeth are required to attend the lecture.

2. There are no plans to tape the lecture. Frankly, I just don't
think CSPAN and/or Turner Network Television (etc.) will be interested.
If someone wants to record it digitally, it is OK with me but you
likely also need an OK from the NY Amateur Astronomers
Association and/or the NY American Museum of Natural History.

3. I could put the PowerPoint file on the web here but I am a
bit concerned about copyright permissions for the higher
resolution versions of the images that will be shown. I will
think more about this, though.

Best Wishes and see some of you tomorrow in NYC!

- RJN

Turk182

Post by Turk182 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:21 pm

RJN wrote:Hi all and thanks for your gracious responses. I am on travel
just now and typing this from a library. Here are a few answers:

1. No teeth are required to attend the lecture.

2. There are no plans to tape the lecture. Frankly, I just don't
think CSPAN and/or Turner Network Television (etc.) will be interested.
If someone wants to record it digitally, it is OK with me but you
likely also need an OK from the NY Amateur Astronomers
Association and/or the NY American Museum of Natural History.

3. I could put the PowerPoint file on the web here but I am a
bit concerned about copyright permissions for the higher
resolution versions of the images that will be shown. I will
think more about this, though.

Best Wishes and see some of you tomorrow in NYC!

- RJN
Hi,

Can you tell me approximately how long the lecture is planned to last?

Thanks.

MuffCreature

Sounds like a fine time

Post by MuffCreature » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:35 pm

I'm a big fan of the constellation Orion and all that it entails.I do appreciate and enjoy the APOD web-site.Hale-Bopp was a fab comet I should make a point to get out and see this one as well weather permitting of course.Have a blessed day.

Luciano P. Lopes

Re: Send Robert On Tour

Post by Luciano P. Lopes » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:09 pm

APODnthuzst wrote:For those of us who prefer to live somewhere besides NYC?
I think it's worth elocubrating into the fact that the distance allows for wider scopes, like hundreds or thousands light years, and still discern the configurations of the target observed.
From Rio

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:34 pm

I just wanna know if he's gonna use my May 21st Venus image!!

Interest

Post by GUEST » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:02 pm

It seems that there are a lot of us interested in the talk and pictures. I'm thinking that one of the PBS program shows, say, like WGBH/NOVA, might be interested in creating an episode devoted to the APOD folks, pictures, organization, etc. Anyone have any contacts?

uzaybilim

great

Post by uzaybilim » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:42 pm

Hi from Turkey , please let me know about speech record.
clear skies... :D

thbjr@earthlink.net

thanks!

Post by thbjr@earthlink.net » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks to Prof. Nemiroff for a great lecture last night and for this great service. I teach astronomy and math at an inner-city school in the Bronx and whenever we can use our school's computers the first place the kids go is to APOD. I let them spend time on the site because NOTHING inspires their sense of curiosity and wonder like the Astronomy Picture of the Day! So thanks again.

Tom Baker :wink:

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:39 am

Thanks everyone! I will post a powerpoint version of my talk when I return next week from this meeting of the American Astronomical Society in San Diego. - RJN

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:13 pm

It was a pity about the rain.
Watching all those people take a golf cart across less than a foot of water really showed
me what wimps astronomers really are. Clearly tenure doesn't help this situation.

Frank
Ensign

Re: A webcast would be very well

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:39 am

[quote="boswachter"]I could even benefit of it here in Kiev, Ukraine :)

Happy holidays to everyone

Henk

PS: Christmas is on January, 7 here...[/quote]