APOD: Sunrise Analemma (with a little extra) (2012 Sep 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sunrise Analemma (with a little extra) (2012 Sep 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:06 am

Image Sunrise Analemma (with a little extra)

Explanation: An analemma is that figure-8 curve that you get when you mark the position of the Sun at the same time each day throughout planet Earth's year. In this case, 17 individual images taken at 0231 UT on dates between April 2 and September 16 follow half the analemma curve, looking east toward the rising sun and the Caspian sea from the boardwalk in the port city of Baku, Azerbaijan. With the sun nearest the horizon, those dates almost span the period between the 2012 equinoxes on March 20 and September 22. The northern summer Solstice on June 20 corresponds to the top of the figure 8 at the left, when the Sun stood at its northernmost declination. Of course, this year the exposure made on June 6 contained a little something extra. Slightly enhanced, the little black spot on the bright solar disk near the top of the frame is planet Venus, caught in a rare transit during this well-planned sunrise analemma project.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Sunrise Analemma (with a little extra) (2012 Sep 2

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 am

Someone playing with the Spirograph... :D

I was going to get out the scope last night, but the smoke from some forest fires came into the valley, and I thought better of it. Would not like to sit out there for hours in the stench... :cry:

:---[===] *

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Now all we need is a full 243 year "analemma" of Venus oscillating
back & forth 47.8° every 584 days perpendicular to this analemma.
Last edited by neufer on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

Remo

Post by Remo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:57 pm

This picture has me calling into question one of my long ago learned "facts" -- that the sun always rises directly in the east at the equinoxes. Clearly, since the scope of the picture covers less than the time period between the vernal and autumnal equinoxes, the sun will not line up in the same place at the equinoxes, i.e., directly towards the east.

And yes, I've known for a long time about the Analemma and the reasons for it (tilt of the earth and eccentricity of earth's orbit). I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. I'll just have to dust off Kepler's laws and work out the 3d implications to work out the amount of the anomaly. Shouldn't be to hard.

Stephen Rasey

Post by Stephen Rasey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

caught in a rare transit during this well-planned sunrise analemma project.

Someone was living right. Imagine after all that planning, the Venus transit was covered by clouds.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Remo wrote:This picture has me calling into question one of my long ago learned "facts" -- that the sun always rises directly in the east at the equinoxes. Clearly, since the scope of the picture covers less than the time period between the vernal and autumnal equinoxes, the sun will not line up in the same place at the equinoxes, i.e., directly towards the east.

And yes, I've known for a long time about the Analemma and the reasons for it (tilt of the earth and eccentricity of earth's orbit). I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. I'll just have to dust off Kepler's laws and work out the 3d implications to work out the amount of the anomaly. Shouldn't be to hard.
Hi Remo. The Sun does rise directly east at the equinoxes, if your horizon is perfectly flat. For those of us in the northern hemisphere, if there are hills, trees, buildings, etc. on your horizon, the Sun will be slightly south of due east by the time it rises above your visible horizon. With hills, etc., you will see the Sun farther south at the Spring equinox sunrise than the Fall equinox sunrise, because the ecliptic angles slowly away from the horizon at the Spring equinox sunrise, and more steeply away from the horizon at the Fall equinox sunrise. (Everything is reversed in the southern hemisphere.)

Also, the first of these exposures was taken on April 2, two weeks after the Spring equinox, and the last exposure on September 16, a week before the Fall equinox, so the rising Sun was already south of due east in the first exposure, and was still north of due east in the last exposure. The rising Sun changes position along the horizon most quickly during the weeks before and after the equinoxes, so you're going to see slight movement from one day to the next.

I've been noting the movement of the rising Sun along my hilly urban horizon in honor of the approaching Fall equinox. When it gets to the flagpole on the schoolground, I'll know it's time to celebrate!

By the way, this is an awesome picture! Venus transiting the Sun is a wonderful Easter egg!
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Remo

Post by Remo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Anthony but I figured it out on my own. Started plugging in the celestial mechanics and realized that the source of the seaming contradiction was that the sun rises at a different time on the vernal, as opposed to the autumnal equinox. Analemma are all photographs taken at the same "time" of day. The two factors taken together are what create the figure eight as opposed to simply a line.

Canadian Grandma

Post by Canadian Grandma » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 pm

I've learned 2 new things today--the figure 8 described by the sun (as shown in the picture)AND the word "analemma"---But how does one say it? --an-AL-emma or ana-LEM-ma (or something else). I know where to expect the sun to rise & set at different times of the year where I live, but the rest was new.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 pm

You can hear anaLEMma pronounced here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/ ... v=analemma
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:13 am

owlice wrote:
Canadian Grandma wrote:
I've learned 2 new things today--the figure 8 described by the sun (as shown in the picture)AND the word "analemma"---But how does one say it? --an-AL-emma or ana-LEM-ma (or something else).
You can hear anaLEMma pronounced here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/ ... v=analemma
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:43 am

:lol:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

neufer wrote:
Cool video, Art. Thanks! You can even see some of the moons (Titania, Ariel?) zipping around the planet as the track progresses. Nifty.

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:27 am

neufer wrote:

Well, Art, I have to thank you for prompting me to explore some of Stellarium's more powerful capabilities to animate the 243-year Venus "analemma". AndrzejKaron's YouTube "analemma" (above) is a nearly complete 8-year sequence (2004-2012). For interest and convenience, I decided to build the 243 Earth-year Venus "analemma" out of sequential 8-year component "analemmas". Each individual 8-year "analemma" should be a little different, returning very close to the same pattern after 243 years. Using Stellarium, I first generated an 8-year analemma (2012-2020). Although the sequence is ~8 years after AndrzejKaron's, it replicated it quite well - to no surprise. Over 243 years (2004-2247), the evolving pattern essentially reveals an analemma "surface". It isn't a perfect representation, but I think it is an excellent display and description of the 243-year orbital pattern.

To help visualize this complicated surface, view my 3 animations: 1) The single 8-year "analemma" (one day intervals) nearly identical to AndrzejKaron's in shape. 2) An "analemma" progression sequentially displaying all of the 8-year components chronologically, and 3) The sequential summation of all the 8-year component "analemmas". I used 2-day intervals for all the sequences in the latter two animations.

Below, I used Stellarium to recreate AndrzejKaron's nearly-complete
8-year YouTube sequence.

8-Year "Analemma"                      2012 - 2020

This is a sequential display of 8-year component "analemmas" over
a 243 year period; each with 2-day interval.

8-Year "Analemma" Progression         2004 - 2247
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:04 am

neufer wrote:

Well, Art, I have to thank you for prompting me to explore some of Stellarium's more powerful capabilities to animate the 243-year Venus "analemma". AndrzejKaron's YouTube "analemma" (above) is a nearly complete 8-year sequence (2004-2012). For interest and convenience, I decided to build the 243 Earth-year Venus "analemma" out of sequential 8-year component "analemmas". Each individual 8-year "analemma" should be a little different, returning very close to the same pattern after 243 years. Using Stellarium, I first generated an 8-year analemma (2012-2020). Although the sequence is ~8 years after AndrzejKaron's, it replicated it quite well - to no surprise. Over 243 years (2004-2247), the evolving pattern essentially reveals an analemma "surface". It isn't a perfect representation, but I think it is an excellent display and description of the 243-year orbital pattern.

To help visualize this complicated surface, view my 3 animations: 1) The single 8-year "analemma" (one day intervals) nearly identical to AndrzejKaron's in shape. 2) An "analemma" progression sequentially displaying all of the 8-year components chronologically, and 3) The sequential summation of all the 8-year component "analemmas". I used 2-day intervals for all the sequences in the latter two animations. 
**** Links repaired ****
Below, I used Stellarium to recreate AndrzejKaron's nearly-complete
8-year YouTube sequence.

8-Year "Analemma"                      2012 - 2020
This is a sequential display of 8-year component "analemmas" over
a 243 year period; each with 2-day interval.

8-Year "Analemma" Progression         2004 - 2247

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 pm

alter-ego wrote:
Lastly, the full 243-Year "Analemma" 2004 - 2247

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap wrote: <<A Chinese finger trap (also known as a Chinese finger puzzle, Chinese handcuffs and similar variants) is a gag toy used to play a practical joke on children and unsuspecting adults. The finger trap is a simple puzzle that traps the victim's fingers (often the index fingers) in both ends of a small, woven bamboo cylinder. The initial reaction of the victim is to pull the fingers outward, but this only tightens the trap much more. The solution to escaping the trap is to push the ends inward toward the middle, which enlarges the openings and frees the fingers, before slowly twisting them out of the trap so as not to trigger the tightening reflex again. The same effect is used in specialized textile manufacturing, electrical contractors' wire-pullers, Indonesian woven fruit presses, and by fly-fishers.

Chinese finger traps are not intended for use as restraint devices. Strong victims of the prank may break the bamboo strips when they pull outwards, attempting to free their fingers and stretching the trap beyond its limits. However, a variation on the Chinese finger trap has uses in orthopedic medicine—namely, providing even pressure to the patient's digit(s) and at the same time immobilizing the joints—and serves a similar purpose as a traction device.

The Chinese fingers traps is also a common metaphor for a problem that can be overcome by relaxing, i.e., not trying too hard to solve it [e.g., using the 24 hour "edit button" rather than revising one's *Asterisk post and reposting]. For example, in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, The finger trap can be seen in a number of films and television programs, such as the Stan Laurel short "Dr. Pyckle and Mr. Pryde" (1925), the Little Rascals short "Moan and Groan, Inc.", the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Last Outpost" (1987), the feature film The Addams Family (1991), Chasing Amy (1997), 100 Women (2002), Mulan II (2005), Dexter's Laboratory (episode Unfortunate Cookie), Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (episode The Big Leblooski) and the Simpsons.>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm

neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap wrote: However, a variation on the Chinese finger trap has uses in orthopedic medicine—namely, providing even pressure to the patient's digit(s) and at the same time immobilizing the joints—and serves a similar purpose as a traction device.
When I broke my arm last March, my hand was (eventually) put into such a traction device. Each digit was put into the fingers of what was essentially a "glove" of five metal Chinese finger traps; the glove hung from a pole. With my hand thus trapped and suspended, a 10lb weight was hung from my upper arm. This helped realign the bones, and felt unbelievably good! (Bones in the wrong place aren't happy, and boy, do they ever let you know it!) I'd have been quite satisfied had my arm been left hanging for an hour or two, but alas, after about 15 minutes, it was freed.

One never knows where Chinese finger traps might show up, do one? Certainly I had never anticipated such a wonderfully therapeutic use for them!

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm

owlice wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap wrote:
However, a variation on the Chinese finger trap has uses in orthopedic medicine—namely, providing even pressure to the patient's digit(s) and at the same time immobilizing the joints—and serves a similar purpose as a traction device.
When I broke my arm last March, my hand was (eventually) put into such a traction device.
So...what were you up to THAT time, Owlie-san :?:
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sergeant Kesuke Miyagi: The sun is warm, the grass is green.

Julie Pierce: What?

Sergeant Kesuke Miyagi: If today Julie-san get angry, just you repeat those words.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Good movie!! I saw it a few months ago. Didn't miss Daniel-san at all.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm

neufer wrote:So...what were you up to THAT time, Owlie-san :?:
Just walking; I wasn't even chewing gum at the same time. I'm now a cyborg.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Fluke Sidewalker wrote:
neufer wrote:
So...what were you up to THAT time, Owlie-san :?:
Just walking; I wasn't even chewing gum at the same time.
I'm now a cyborg.
We'll just call it 44Ti-Quando then :!:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo wrote:
<<Taekwondo is known for its emphasis on kicking techniques, which distinguishes it from martial arts such as karate or southern styles of kung fu. Breaking, using techniques to break boards for testing, training and martial arts demonstrations. Demonstrations often also incorporate bricks, tiles, and blocks of ice or other materials. Can be separated into three types:

Power breaking – using straightforward techniques to break as many boards as possible

Speed breaking – boards are held loosely by one edge, putting special focus on the speed required to perform the break

Special techniques – breaking fewer boards but using jumping or flying techniques to attain greater heights, distances, or to clear obstacles>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 pm

neufer wrote:
We'll just call it 44Ti-Quando then :!:
I earned a 1st degree brown belt in Tae Kwon Do years ago. It's actually not hard to break a board; anyone can do it if shown how (and it takes less than a minute to show someone how).

I like 44Ti-Quando; maybe that's what I should name my internal bling!

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 am

Topics can sure change quickly can't they.
neufer wrote:...
The Chinese fingers traps is also a common metaphor for a problem that can be overcome by relaxing, i.e., not trying too hard to solve it [e.g., using the 24 hour "edit button" rather than revising one's *Asterisk post and reposting].
Good advice Art, but I feel you are poking me here without knowing the whole story.
Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but I took your comment personally, like that I don't care or don't know about the 24-hour edit button. None of that is true. Wrt to posting, editing within the 24-hour window is all I do and I support that rule - I do try to play by all the forum rules. The issue with my post was that the original links I believe were rendered nonfunctional due to changes Google made to how they mangage their webalbums (I share through Picasa). I wanted, deservedly so, my post to link to videos as I originally intended it to and thought that it did. I corrected only the links. I added nothing new at all to the post. It now works they way it was originally intended.

I try to always check link operation by logging out of the forum and viewing, as well as viewing on other computers, so I can make corrections within 24 hours. I thought the links worked fine in the original posting. If you viewed my original post and happen to recall never seeing a video, please let me know. Believe me, I was pissed when I checked my post in early December and saw the videos were not linked! I wouldn't have normally cared except the videos were a significant part of the post. Also, I'm not a prolific poster, so it is unacceptable to have bad links in what few I posts I have :)

This may a special case, and maybe the better avenue would have been through an administrator. Regardless, I think a (late) correction is fair and warranted.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 am

alter-ego wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but I took your comment personally, like that I don't care or don't know about the 24-hour edit button. None of that is true. Wrt to posting, editing within the 24-hour window is all I do and I support that rule - I do try to play by all the forum rules. The issue with my post was that the original links I believe were rendered nonfunctional due to changes Google made to how they mangage their webalbums (I share through Picasa). I wanted, deservedly so, my post to link to videos as I originally intended it to and thought that it did. I corrected only the links. I added nothing new at all to the post. It now works they way it was originally intended.
Art Neuendorffer

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 am

neufer wrote:
Ditto.

I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 am

Pardon me for not knowing there was something to be pardoned about. I seem to miss a lot of things in these threads sometimes.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.