You need more data, so go get some.

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
NobodySpecial

You need more data, so go get some.

Post by NobodySpecial » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:40 am

I've been a casual observer of these discussions, but what I've seen for the most part is analysis on one piece of data - the one picture. How about designing an experiment with three cameras: one set at the original 1/20 sec exposure at f5.6, and the other two set at around 1/200+ sec with one with the same view as the first and the other in front of the other two looking back at them with a near-field focus - all with frame synchronization. But the 1/200 sec exposure cameras need to take that picture in the middle of the 1/20 second exposure. Now, go take several thousand picture where there are known to be bugs and see what happens with the images. If you get a similar image, you'll have more data to review. The thing about science is, if you don't have enough data, go get some more, and some more, and some more, until you have enough to be fairly certain of what is going on.

Raisin_in_the_Sun

Re: You need more data, so go get some.

Post by Raisin_in_the_Sun » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:25 pm

NobodySpecial wrote:I've been a casual observer of these discussions, but what I've seen for the most part is analysis on one piece of data - the one picture. How about designing an experiment with three cameras: one set at the original 1/20 sec exposure at f5.6, and the other two set at around 1/200+ sec with one with the same view as the first and the other in front of the other two looking back at them with a near-field focus - all with frame synchronization. But the 1/200 sec exposure cameras need to take that picture in the middle of the 1/20 second exposure. Now, go take several thousand picture where there are known to be bugs and see what happens with the images. If you get a similar image, you'll have more data to review. The thing about science is, if you don't have enough data, go get some more, and some more, and some more, until you have enough to be fairly certain of what is going on.
I find it easier to bug pictures than debug code.
Several thousand pictures coming up sir.