APOD: Our Story in One Minute (2012 Nov 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Our Story in One Minute (2012 Nov 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 am

Image Our Story in One Minute

Explanation: Could you tell the story of human existence in a minute? This thrilling video culls together multiple teasing snippets in an attempt to do just that. And sets it to music. Briefly depicted, from start to finish, is an artistic animation of the Big Bang, a trip across the early universe, the formation of the Earth and Moon, the emergence of multi-celled life and plants, the rise of reptiles and dinosaurs, a devastating meteor strike, the rise of mammals and humans, and finally the rise of modern civilization. The minute movie ends with a flyover of the modern skyscraper and a human standing atop a snow covered mountain. The above video is the latest from the Symphony of Science project.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Our Story in One Minute (2012 Nov 14)

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 am

Gee... an APOD with a commercial. That's a rare event in and of itself.
Say... wasn't that a Yeti standing on the mountain top at the end :?: It looked just a little too big to be a human. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 am

I think the Big Bang is still banging away. The known is accelerating outwards at a pretty good clip.
Wolf Kotenberg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:28 am

We have a little sock puppet; should you see disrupting posts, please know they will be removed and don't respond to them. Thank you.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

anuradha bhagwat

Post by anuradha bhagwat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 am

The skyscaper - unable to identify. But may be it is the Burz Khalifa in Dubai? And the mountain is the Everest?

metamorphmuses
Ensign

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 am

This APOD is a little weak, I must say. I enjoy an artistic, concise synthesis as much as anyone with an aesthetic as well as scientific sense, but a couple of things occurred to me as I was watching: (1) This story is a little too anthropocentric and seemingly teleological for me - the universe didn't come into being so that we could emerge at the end as the natural apotheosis; (2) the K-T extinction event isn't the most devastating or biologically significant one - the end-Permian was; again, emphasizing the K-T extinction event just plays into our (as a species) sense of self-importance.

Sorry to rain on the parade of the producers of the video, it's just how I feel about it. Nice try, though. It's a difficult "story" to attempt to tell meaningfully in 1 minute.

Skyscraper: Burj Khalifa. Mountain: Annapurna?

Lastly, to Gandalf: Science is a posteriori, not a priori, so asking what came "before the Big Bang" is the wrong question; that is a philosophical and/or theological question, not a scientific one (unless you entertain the concept of multiverses, and even then, the matter is entirely speculative). If you don't have an empirical mindset, facts will never convince you, and no theory will ever satisfy you. Faith is irrelevant. Belief is incidental. I suggest you move on if you just want to proselytize for some "Intelligent Design" worldview.

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 am

metamorphmuses wrote:This story is a little too anthropocentric and seemingly teleological for me - the universe didn't come into being so that we could emerge at the end as the natural apotheosis;
Welcome to the forums!

Right: the Universe wasn't created for us. But this is "Our Story." Someone on the Internet decided to give our species one minute of unabashedly self-important celebration of how we got to where we are. Armed with this context by the video's title, I didn't raise an eyebrow at the flagrant over-representation of humanity, nor did I wish that the creators allotted a realistic proportion of their minute to, say, hydrogen and helium atoms doing their thing, since they are the 99% (of baryonic matter). Instead, the video filled me with the fortunately short-lived inspiration to run to the farthest prehistoric archeological site on my continent, tear off my shirt with a primal scream at the break of dawn, and pose triumphantly over the remains of the species that died for us. Then I'd probably snap out of it, realize how lost and shirtless I was, and mumble "well, this is awkward" before keeling over for the timberwolves.
metamorphmuses wrote: (2) the K-T extinction event isn't the most devastating or biologically significant one - the end-Permian was; again, emphasizing the K-T extinction event just plays into our (as a species) sense of self-importance.
Any attempt at depicting the end-Permian event would be epic indeed. Maybe they could work it into a longer version.

metamorphmuses
Ensign

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 am

Pete wrote:... nor did I wish that the creators allotted a realistic proportion of their minute to, say, hydrogen and helium atoms doing their thing, since they are the 99% (of baryonic matter). Instead, the video filled me with the fortunately short-lived inspiration to run to the farthest prehistoric archeological site on my continent, tear off my shirt with a primal scream at the break of dawn, and pose triumphantly over the remains of the species that died for us.
A sound and entertaining rebuttal... :lol2:

I guess the video succeeded in its desired effect if it filled you (even for a moment) with that sense of triumph.

Me, I felt a little embarrassed, like "we" as a species should show some humility in the face of the grand fabric of time and space. That's just me, today. Maybe on another day, I can partake of the unabashed exuberance of it all.

astrofs21418

Post by astrofs21418 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:56 am

I thing TBBT does it better - hey have a picture of Penny.

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am

Any attempt at depicting the end-Permian event would be epic indeed. Maybe they could work it into a longer version...
:) Likely not to be as visually interesting, either?

K-T Extinction (Sorry, "K–Pg:" A renaming right up there with "Brontosaurus" on the pedantic scale) does seem a much better fit for this story.

I know that the clip was "Our Story," but would not have minded a bit more of the trilobites - could been done at the expense of the bacteria - and perhaps some recognition of the Holocene extinction event which we seem to be causing.

And, the Big Bang ...

As a simple soul sitting in darkness, I have never made any sense of the Big Bang: What does it Bang into? From whence came the banging material, what was there before there was a before, why is there something rather than nothing, and would not nothing then be something in and of itself, where is the Dark Matter making up most of our universe, and why don't I trip over it?

Cosmology for me has always seemed one of the most annoyingly other-worldly, speculative, and largely useless endeavors of the human mind. Many ancient societies, recognizing this, simply - and quite sensibly - invoked a Creator God ... equally sensibly they then ignored the obvious question of ante deus, quid? Perhaps I have just not ever been clever enough to actually understand cosmological discussions.

At root, do not think the Big Bang is really much different: Being simply another attempt to explain the unknowable with the unknown.

Yes, more trilobites would have been good.

Capital clip though!

paragkulkarni

Post by paragkulkarni » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am

skyscrapper is in CHICAGO & mountain is ANDES

KLUTOMIUM

Post by KLUTOMIUM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Hello,out there,
APOD is my favorit site in the net,I love it.Todays video is great-I cried while watching it because it touched me deep inside. :cry:
We can be genious and create so much,but we are often cruel and destroy this tiny dot,which is our home in the universe-this ambiguousnes makes me crazy. Once an Indian said(from german to english with my own words-I hope it makes sense):
When the last tree is cuted down,
the last river is poisened
and the last fish is catched,
you get perceive,that you are not able to eat money!

However,the skyskraper is definetly the worlds highest building in Dubai,called Burj Khalifa.
And the mountain? I'm not shure, but I think it's the highest,too. Seems to be the Mt.Everest.
By the end, best wishes for all the starchildren here and everyehere,
TOM from Germany
PS:Sorry for my english,i try to learn... :roll:

tfarinel

Post by tfarinel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 pm

The skyscraper is in Myanmar. The mountain peak...?

clillo
Ensign

Post by clillo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

To those that say, this is story is from "our" point of view, and is bias to our triumphs, I agree and welcome any other species to submit a video. :D

Charles Lillo
www.theastrogeeks.com

Tszabeau

Post by Tszabeau » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 pm

APOD is the greatest site for learning something new about our real Universe and our place in it. I love it. Although very well produced, this moderately entertaining clip is just not one the top learning experiences presented here.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:40 pm

RedFishBlueFish wrote: At root, do not think the Big Bang is really much different: Being simply another attempt to explain the unknowable with the unknown.
With some bits of known which we call evidence? And with the humility to admit that some aspects are unknown as opposed to absolute and unchangeable. I think it's very different. And without evidence, there would be no BBT, unlike the creator god myths which exist only because someone imagined them.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

AstroAlphaDog

Post by AstroAlphaDog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Eh, not a bad video except the resolution suxass! Enjoyed it for brief sixty seconds. You people needn't get so worked up about titles and meaning and philosophy for X's sake. The good news for you is you'll have another picture to bitch about tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that, and ...

ritwik
Science Officer

Post by ritwik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

burj dubai and himalayas .
video sux btw :oops:

Steven White

Post by Steven White » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Cool video but it is Your story, not Our story. That is obviously Humanism. You can read the true story in the book of Genesis.

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:03 pm

geckzilla wrote:
RedFishBlueFish wrote: At root, do not think the Big Bang is really much different: Being simply another attempt to explain the unknowable with the unknown.
With some bits of known which we call evidence? And with the humility to admit that some aspects are unknown as opposed to absolute and unchangeable. I think it's very different. And without evidence, there would be no BBT, unlike the creator god myths which exist only because someone imagined them.
There once was a time I would have vehemently disagreed with RedFishBlueFish because the BBT was a satisfying answer to the big question. It no longer is for me because that theory can only address what happened since matter was born into the universe, not what happened before. (the “there was no before” argument is logically inconsistent) Todays physicist seem as dissatisfied with the current state of the theory and are seeking to expand it. However, the concept of colliding membranes is on the grand scale indistinguishable from the concept of God. I say this not because of a belief in any particular answer but a dis-belief in our ability to know the ultimate truth in the matter. In the end our theories and models are just that, theories and models. They are tools in understanding how the universe works, not the final answer. In ages past we created gods in the image of humanity, we should take care in this current age not to create gods in the image of mathematics.
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

soundlady

Post by soundlady » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Oh..Ah..totally awesome. Yes, I do believe in the Genesis account, but we have a one of a kind planet that has been chosen for our habitation. Love it or Leave it :wink:

marsloer

Post by marsloer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 pm

I was a little hesitant to watch the video at first, since I believe in both Creation (vs. Evolution) and that the Big Bang was not a spontanious event, but actually controlled by a higher power. But that is a discussion for another time. The point is that I didn't think that the video would agree with my beliefs on the subject. However, I plucked up my courage and watched the video. And to my surprise I liked it. It portrayed the different species in such a way that someone who believes in evolution could see the connection between the species, and someone who believes in creation could see it as a representation of the different species that inhabit (or inhabited) this planet. To the makers of this video a huge "Good Job" and "Thank You" is in order.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Beyond wrote:
Gee... an APOD with a commercial. That's a rare event in and of itself.
  • Our Story in One Minute... after this word from Our Sponsor.
Art Neuendorffer

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

We think the video was well done and professional. The music and images evoked an emotional response. If folks of our level of science and understanding are their target audience, they were spot on.

The ad in the video was annoying tho.

guest111412

Post by guest111412 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm

If we assume that the mountain at the end was photographed from a helicopter, then I believe that eliminates Everest and many other of the highest peaks in the world. My understanding is that helicopters cannot fly in altitudes that high. Of course, it could simply be a well done CG animation. I'm interested to know the right answer.