APOD: Bright Jupiter in Taurus (2012 Nov 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Bright Jupiter in Taurus (2012 Nov 27)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:06 am

Image Bright Jupiter in Taurus

Explanation: That bright star you've recently noticed rising just after sunset isn't a star at all. It's Jupiter, the solar system's ruling gas giant. Bright Jupiter is nearing its December 3rd opposition when it will stand in Taurus, opposite the Sun in planet Earth's sky. Clearly outshining yellowish Aldebaran, alpha star of Taurus, Jupiter is centered in this skyview from November 14th, also featuring the Pleiades and Hyades star clusters, familiar celestial sights as the northern hemisphere winter approaches. Sliding your cursor over the image will label the scene and identify two other solar system worlds approaching their opposition in December. Small and faint, asteroid Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres are about 10 degrees from Jupiter, near the left edge of the frame. Of course, you can imagine NASA's Dawn spacecraft in this field of view. Having left Vesta in September, Dawn's ion engine is now steadily driving it to match orbits with Ceres, scheduled to arrive there in February 2015.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Bright Jupiter in Taurus (2012 Nov 27)

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:02 am

This is a great APOD! :D :D :D

I really appreciate the labeled image. It's fun to spot NGC 2175, the Monkey head Nebula, for example. That one's got a hot blue O-star in the middle. So does the Lambda Orionis nebula, which has, of course, Lambda Orionis in the center! Lambda is poking its head up at about seven o'clock in today's APOD. I also thought M35 looked very nice here. (The small star cluster you can see if you follow the link is NGC 2158 - I think I can spot it, but faintly, in today's APOD.)

But what a cool APOD! It's a lot of fun to see Ceres and Vesta so clearly labeled! :D

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

Very interesting APOD with lots of points of interest.

I notice around Orion a big circular area of red, I assume to be fields of hydrogen. And then as you look up the picture, you see other areas of pinkish red. And darker areas that appear to be dusty areas.

Thanks for the Labels.

Brem3

Post by Brem3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:58 am

What do the arrows at Vesta and Ceres indicate? In my mental model of the solar system they should be moving to the left. Are they doing an epicycle?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Brem3 wrote:
What do the arrows at Vesta and Ceres indicate?
In my mental model of the solar system they should be moving to the left.
Are they doing an epicycle?
They are in retrograde as the faster Earth passes them by:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/fulltraj.jpg

Note that Dawn is approximately at the 11 o'clock position on the small circle surrounding Vesta.
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspac ... 1&showac=1
Art Neuendorffer

Remo

Post by Remo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:36 pm

First thing I did was to see if I could pick out Jupiter's Galilean moons. They should be brighter than most of the stars and certainly Vesta and Ceres. A little disappointed. I assume that they got caught up in the oversaturation of Jupiter. Other than my personal frustration, a great picture.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Does anyone know the date this picture was taken? The picture linked to in the caption was taken in September, when Jupiter was just starting his westward retrograde. I've been trying to follow Ceres and Vesta from the backyard, and I would guess this picture was taken around November 10. It is fun to watch these two bright asteroids in binoculars or a small telescope, moving perceptibly against the background stars from one night to the next (or one week to the next when we get intervening clouds and rain!)

By the way, this is a lovely picture, and I appreciate the mouse-over diagram and captions. Thanks.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:Does anyone know the date this picture was taken?
exif data says 2012 Nov 14
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:Does anyone know the date this picture was taken? The picture linked to in the caption was taken in September, when Jupiter was just starting his westward retrograde. I've been trying to follow Ceres and Vesta from the backyard, and I would guess this picture was taken around November 10.
The caption gives the date as November 14, which appears to be correct given the positions of Jupiter, Ceres, and Vesta.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Nov 14, my mothers birthday (RIP ). I am printing this on photo paper and give it to a 9 year old girl, a future scientist. Who now has quite a collection of stellar images in her personal quest to get one answer " what is a black hole ? ". and find out you need many answers before arriving at that destination.
Wolf Kotenberg

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Great image but its a shame that the labeled version doesn't identify Sh2-264, the large red emission nebula around Lambda Orionis. :(

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:27 pm

you just did and I think that is part of the APOD purpose.
Wolf Kotenberg

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 pm

bystander wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:Does anyone know the date this picture was taken?
exif data says 2012 Nov 14
Chris Peterson wrote: The caption gives the date as November 14, which appears to be correct given the positions of Jupiter, Ceres, and Vesta.
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that the first time. I guess I'm still experiencing some residual post-Thanksgiving sluggishness.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 am

Boomer12k wrote:Very interesting APOD with lots of points of interest.

I notice around Orion a big circular area of red, I assume to be fields of hydrogen. And then as you look up the picture, you see other areas of pinkish red. And darker areas that appear to be dusty areas.

Thanks for the Labels.

The big red circular area is, as starsurfer pointed out, Sh2-264. Personally I just call it the Lambda Orionis nebula, since it is hot O8 star Lambda Orionis that causes this nebula by ionizing nearby hydrogen. Except that "nearby" isn't the proper term here - professor Emeritus Jim Kaler has said that the Lambda Orionis nebula is 150 light-years across! :shock:

Here is a picture of constellation Orion, which shows the Lambda Orionis nebula well. It is the large circular red patch at top.

Ann
Color Commentator

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Ann wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:Very interesting APOD with lots of points of interest.

Thanks for the Labels.

The big red circular area is, as starsurfer pointed out, Sh2-264. Personally I just call it the Lambda Orionis nebula, since it is hot O8 star Lambda Orionis that causes this nebula by ionizing nearby hydrogen. Except that "nearby" isn't the proper term here - professor Emeritus Jim Kaler has said that the Lambda Orionis nebula is 150 light-years across! :shock:

Here is a picture of constellation Orion, which shows the Lambda Orionis nebula well. It is the large circular red patch at top.

Ann
I would love to see a high resolution mosaic of Sh2-264 by an amateur astrophotographer, it would be seriously epic!!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:33 pm

starsurfer wrote:I would love to see a high resolution mosaic of Sh2-264 by an amateur astrophotographer, it would be seriously epic!!
Google it. It's a popular imaging target and there are dozens of images online.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:58 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
starsurfer wrote:I would love to see a high resolution mosaic of Sh2-264 by an amateur astrophotographer, it would be seriously epic!!
Google it. It's a popular imaging target and there are dozens of images online.
Yes there are lots of images but they're either low resolution single frame widefields or high resolution closeups of a small part. However, to date, I don't think there has been a more high resolution mosaic of the whole nebula. Also quite a few seem to block out the many reflection nebula with Ha combined with poor processing (reflection nebulae and dust can still be maintained with Ha). I want to see a 4-16 frame mosaic with a 4 or 6 inch telescope! It's a shame that weather is bad for many northern locations while the nights are longest!