APOD: Night at the Drive In (2013 Sep 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Night at the Drive In (2013 Sep 20)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:22 pm

In the explanation it states "drive-in skygazers watched a view of the Earth below the International Space Station, under the stars above". That to me implies that a trail of the International Space Station (ISS) is therefore visible in the image. I would be grateful if someone could please point out which trial it is. If a trail of the ISS is not present then I'm confused as to why the ISS is mentioned in the explanation. :?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:In the explanation it states "drive-in skygazers watched a view of the Earth below the International Space Station, under the stars above". That to me implies that a trail of the International Space Station (ISS) is therefore visible in the image. I would be grateful if someone could please point out which trial it is. If a trail of the ISS is not present then I'm confused as to why the ISS is mentioned in the explanation. :?
The ISS is showing on the screen, which is higher than the people watching, but lower than the stars.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for that Beyond. I had not realised the explanation meant the ISS was that in the drive-in movie. I had looked for a trail that I expected to cut across the star trails that would be that of the ISS as it moved and I did not see such a trail! :oops: for not realising the movie showed the ISS (it's obvious now I know!).

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:26 pm

No problemto, David. Actually i hadn't really thought of it until you mentioned it, duh :!: So thanks for the mention. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Joe Coffee

Post by Joe Coffee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 am

Great photo but what puzzles me is how low on the horizon the north star is. It isn't even visible in the photo and yet the drive in is located in Cape Cod. I'm in St. Louis and the north star is much higher in the sky.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 am

Joe Coffee wrote:
Great photo but what puzzles me is how low on the horizon the north star is. It isn't even visible in the photo and yet the drive in is located in Cape Cod. I'm in St. Louis and the north star is much higher in the sky.
Not if you happen to be looking South.
Art Neuendorffer