APOD: SDO s Multiwavelength Sun (2013 Dec 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: SDO s Multiwavelength Sun (2013 Dec 21)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:46 pm

geckzilla wrote:But are there any turtles there?
Not in my neighborhood, that I know of. There are native turtles in surviving wetlands in and around San Francisco, as well as lots of nonnative turtles.

If you're commenting on my signature, Turtle Island is a Native American name for North America, and by extension for the world.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Turtles All the Way Down

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 pm

[img3="LOFAR core ("superterp") near Exloo, Netherlands.
Solar radio radiation in the LOFAR frequency range is emitted in the
middle & upper corona so LOFAR is an ideal instrument for studies
of the launch of CMEs heading towards interplanetary space.
"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... erterp.jpg[/img3]
Anthony Barreiro wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
But are there any turtles there?
Not in my neighborhood, that I know of. There are native turtles in surviving wetlands in and around San Francisco, as well as lots of nonnative turtles. If you're commenting on my signature, Turtle Island is a Native American name for North America, and by extension for the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Island_%28North_America%29 wrote:
<<The Lenape myth of the "Great Turtle" was first recorded between 1678 and 1680 by Jasper Danckaerts. According to Iroquois oral history, Sky Woman fell down to the earth when it was covered with water. Various animals tried to swim to the bottom of the ocean to bring back dirt to create land. Muskrat succeeded in gathering dirt, which was placed on the back of a turtle, which grew into the land known today as North America.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: SDO s Multiwavelength Sun (2013 Dec 21)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 pm

As I was walking around the neighborhood today, I realized that my street, which runs north-south, slopes ever so slightly downhill toward the north --Mission Creek runs roughly west to east underground three blocks north of here. (When I ride my bicycle to the north, once I get going I can just roll gently downhill without pedaling.) So my noontime shadow will be slightly longer than if the street were level, apparently mimicking the shadow of somebody my height about two degrees or 200 km north of here!
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.