APOD: A Milky Way Dawn (2014 Mar 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Milky Way Dawn (2014 Mar 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:13 am

Image A Milky Way Dawn

Explanation: As dawn broke on March 27, the center of the Milky Way Galaxy stood almost directly above the European Southern Observatory's Paranal Observatory. In the dry, clear sky of Chile's Atacama desert, our galaxy's dusty central bulge is flanked by Paranal's four 8 meter Very Large Telescope units in this astronomical fisheye view. Along the top, Venus is close to the eastern horizon. The brilliant morning star shines very near a waning crescent Moon just at the edge of one of the telescope structures. Despite the bright pairing in the east, the Milky Way dominates the scene though. Cut by dust lanes and charged with clouds of stars and glowing nebulae, the center of our galaxy sprawls across the darker zenith even as the deep blue sky grows brighter and buildings still glint in moonlight.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Re: APOD: A Milky Way Dawn (2014 Mar 29)

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 am

Hello,

Is this picture taken looking back at the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Thanks,

Den

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 am

Guest wrote:Is this picture taken looking back at the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy?
Pretty close to it. The center of our galaxy is nearly overhead in the image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:56 am

A Milky Way dawn under. :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:55 am

Neat...you can basically see it from end to end...

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:35 am

Boomer12k wrote:Neat...you can basically see it from end to end...

Of course, from Earth, you can never see more than half (180&deg;) of the Milky Way at any one time. In this image, the galaxy's backside is blocked by the Earth. (Not to mention that the core of the galaxy obscures everything on the far side of the core, in the so called observation shadow.)

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Nitpicker wrote:is blocked by the Earth. (Not to mention
Not to mention all those scruffy buildings in the way ! Almost as cluttered as my site.
Shame, would have been a nice picture else :(

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Nitpicker wrote:Of course, from Earth, you can never see more than half (180&deg;) of the Milky Way at any one time.
That is sort of true, but misleading. At times and places you can see the entire length of the Milky Way, with the missing half being above or below the galactic equator, not a segment of galactic longitude.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:
Of course, from Earth, you can never see more than half (180&deg;) of the Milky Way at any one time.
That is sort of true, but misleading. At times and places you can see the entire length of the Milky Way, with the missing half being above or below the galactic equator, not a segment of galactic longitude.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonc66/9420934880/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astro_andre/6799748616/
Art Neuendorffer

quigley

Post by quigley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Will someone please answer the last question on yesterday's APOD discussion. I find all of the questions and answers so very interesting. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Guest wrote:Is this picture taken looking back at the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy?
Pretty close to it. The center of our galaxy is nearly overhead in the image.
Thanks Chris

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:Of course, from Earth, you can never see more than half (180&deg;) of the Milky Way at any one time.
If I had left out the "(180&deg;)" it would have been better. Viewing the galaxy when its plane aligns with the local horizon is hardly ideal (all that scruffy atmosphere and hills, trees, buildings, etc).

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Nitpicker wrote:If I had left out the "(180&deg;)" it would have been better. Viewing the galaxy when its plane aligns with the local horizon is hardly ideal (all that scruffy atmosphere and hills, trees, buildings, etc).
Not ideal, but certainly possible. From my house, I've seen about 270° of the Milky Way when it's very close to lying on the horizon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

ems57fcva
Ensign

Post by ems57fcva » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:24 am

There is something about the contrast in this image that reveals something interesting: There appear to be two dust lanes in this image. What appears to be the foreground dust land starts on the upper right side of the Milky Way. As it come to the central bulge area, it heads downward and around the bulge, and comes back to the plane of the galaxy on the other side. Another dust lane in the background goes across the central bulge of the Milky Way. This can also be seen in http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140212.html (where the second dust lane is above the central bulge) if you know what you are looking for.

I take this to indicate the the Sun offset from the plan of the galaxy a ways. so that at its closest to us we are viewing the foreground dust lane from a different angle than the background one. Another possibility is that the Milky Way is warped like may other spiral galaxies are. This could even be a combination of the two.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:28 am

can the souther cross be seen in this fisheye image ?
Wolf Kotenberg

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:01 am

ta152h0 wrote:can the souther cross be seen in this fisheye image ?
Yes.
Crux.JPG
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:22 am

ems57fcva wrote:There is something about the contrast in this image that reveals something interesting: There appear to be two dust lanes in this image. What appears to be the foreground dust land starts on the upper right side of the Milky Way. As it come to the central bulge area, it heads downward and around the bulge, and comes back to the plane of the galaxy on the other side. Another dust lane in the background goes across the central bulge of the Milky Way. This can also be seen in http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140212.html (where the second dust lane is above the central bulge) if you know what you are looking for.

I take this to indicate the the Sun offset from the plan of the galaxy a ways. so that at its closest to us we are viewing the foreground dust lane from a different angle than the background one. Another possibility is that the Milky Way is warped like may other spiral galaxies are. This could even be a combination of the two.
I believe that the answer is due to non-uniform matter distribution in the disk, maybe due to warping but not necessarily. The sun is currently considered to be <100 ly away from the galactic plane, and the average outer disk thickness is many thousands of light years. The perspective you're seeing is over 10's of thousands of light years. I think our displacement from the plane is too small to reveal the large structural differences in angle that you're referring to.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:36 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:If I had left out the "(180&deg;)" it would have been better. Viewing the galaxy when its plane aligns with the local horizon is hardly ideal (all that scruffy atmosphere and hills, trees, buildings, etc).
Not ideal, but certainly possible. From my house, I've seen about 270° of the Milky Way when it's very close to lying on the horizon.
Still less than half the Milky Way, just not by galactic longitude. And to see more than 180&deg; of the galactic plane (i.e. the great circle representing 0&deg; galactic latitude) you'd have to rely on atmospheric refraction, I think, and have a very good horizon.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 am

Being on a mountain helps, too.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:06 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Still less than half the Milky Way, just not by galactic longitude. And to see more than 180&deg; of the galactic plane (i.e. the great circle representing 0&deg; galactic latitude) you'd have to rely on atmospheric refraction, I think, and have a very good horizon.
Everest panorama courtesy of Roddy Mackenzie (APOD 17 Apr 2011)<br />Sky background generated with Stellarium
Everest panorama courtesy of Roddy Mackenzie (APOD 17 Apr 2011)
Sky background generated with Stellarium
Yes, that and some altitude. Coincidentally, Mt. Everest is not only the highest point on Earth but also the galactic pole is at its zenith (almost). Some time ago I created the panorama above. The high altitude and remote location provides dark skies, and on average (counting horizon dip and atmospheric refraction) one can see to -2°galactic latitude. The geographic heading and sky azimuth are accurate, but milky way brightness, sky brightness, and stellar magnitude limit were subjectively set.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:35 am

alter-ego wrote: Yes, that and some altitude. Coincidentally, Mt. Everest is not only the highest point on Earth but also the galactic pole is at its zenith (almost). Some time ago I created the panorama above. The high altitude and remote location provides dark skies, and on average (counting horizon dip and atmospheric refraction) one can see to -2°galactic latitude. The geographic heading and sky azimuth are accurate, but milky way brightness, sky brightness, and stellar magnitude limit were subjectively set.
Very nice. Thanks.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:38 am

Yes, very nice, thank you! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

alter-ego

Post by alter-ego » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 am

Nitpicker wrote: Very nice. Thanks.
Ann wrote:Yes, very nice, thank you! :D
You are very welcome :D

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:48 am

geckzilla wrote:Being on a mountain helps, too.
So long as you are not surrounded by even higher mountains. I live on a small hill, in the middle of a valley surrounded by bigger hills.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:59 am

Nitpicker wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Being on a mountain helps, too.
So long as you are not surrounded by even higher mountains. I live on a small hill, in the middle of a valley surrounded by bigger hills.
As if anyone would choose to interpret my statement in that way. :facepalm:
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.