APOD: CG4: A Ruptured Cometary Globule (2014 May 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: APOD: CG4: A Ruptured Cometary Globule (2014 May 13)

Post by Nitpicker » Thu May 15, 2014 11:26 am

starsurfer wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:
starsurfer wrote: I meant that the full image on the original website isn't north up. Just as Ann is a colour commentator, I'm an orientation commentator.
And I'm a nitpicker and Galactic North is different from Celestial North. Galactic North is up (more or less) in the full frame APOD, as it was when originally published on Jason Jennings' website.
I was talking about celestial north! Also the orientation of the image on APOD and then on Jason Jennings website is different. This discussion has been wonderful! Now I have some idea of what Ann feels when she commentates on colour. What a wonderful and brilliant community this is! Group hug everyone! :D
Sorry starsurfer, but you have completely misunderstood me. I know full well you were talking about Celestial North. And I know that the "main page" of this APOD has Celestial North up. But my point was twofold:

a) That the "main page" APOD is rotated from the "full frame" APOD and the "full frame" matches the original image published on Jason Jennings' website, which has Galactic North up (more or less).

b) It doesn't really matter which way is up, or which North is North. It is a silly thing to criticize, as it is the author's prerogative.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 pm

starsurfer wrote:I was talking about celestial north! Also the orientation of the image on APOD and then on Jason Jennings website is different. This discussion has been wonderful! Now I have some idea of what Ann feels when she commentates on colour. What a wonderful and brilliant community this is! Group hug everyone! :D
I'm with you. I prefer images that maintain the convention of north up. I think it's a fair criticism when an image is presented with a different rotation. But I also agree that the imager has every right to use whatever orientation he wants. Rotation isn't that big of a deal. There are good reasons to present an image north up, but it isn't "wrong" to do otherwise.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 pm

I don't mind which way an image like this is rotated, but I will admit that I prefer to be provided with an indication of the North direction (Celestial if unspecified). If I study an image closely, I tend to rotate it several different ways, to compensate for the limitations of my brain. I also try to avoid "sky only" images presented in "portrait" orientation, as they are not as well suited to the "landscape" orientation of most computer screens.

It is evidently too much to ask of every author of every astrophotograph, to always present North up. It is therefore highly unreliable to assume that North is always up, and with no other indication, we are left to always figure it out ourselves -- which many of us seem to enjoy doing anyway -- by which time we know which way North is. I always prefer to have an indication of the North direction, but it doesn't have to be up. Regardless, authors are entitled to their own preferences and conventions (or lack thereof) as this sort of image making has a significant artistic component.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
starsurfer wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:
And I'm a nitpicker and Galactic North is different from Celestial North. Galactic North is up (more or less) in the full frame APOD, as it was when originally published on Jason Jennings' website.
I was talking about celestial north! Also the orientation of the image on APOD and then on Jason Jennings website is different. This discussion has been wonderful! Now I have some idea of what Ann feels when she commentates on colour. What a wonderful and brilliant community this is! Group hug everyone! :D
Sorry starsurfer, but you have completely misunderstood me. I know full well you were talking about Celestial North. And I know that the "main page" of this APOD has Celestial North up. But my point was twofold:

a) That the "main page" APOD is rotated from the "full frame" APOD and the "full frame" matches the original image published on Jason Jennings' website, which has Galactic North up (more or less).

b) It doesn't really matter which way is up, or which North is North. It is a silly thing to criticize, as it is the author's prerogative.
I meant that the original image on Jason Jennings website is different to the main APOD image. However, I'm sure we can all agree that potato pie is delicious. :D

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Nitpicker wrote:I don't mind which way an image like this is rotated, but I will admit that I prefer to be provided with an indication of the North direction (Celestial if unspecified). If I study an image closely, I tend to rotate it several different ways, to compensate for the limitations of my brain. I also try to avoid "sky only" images presented in "portrait" orientation, as they are not as well suited to the "landscape" orientation of most computer screens.

It is evidently too much to ask of every author of every astrophotograph, to always present North up. It is therefore highly unreliable to assume that North is always up, and with no other indication, we are left to always figure it out ourselves -- which many of us seem to enjoy doing anyway -- by which time we know which way North is. I always prefer to have an indication of the North direction, but it doesn't have to be up. Regardless, authors are entitled to their own preferences and conventions (or lack thereof) as this sort of image making has a significant artistic component.
There isn't a right or wrong way to rotate an image but I prefer seeing some objects presented in north up and some not in north up. Just an interesting personal quirk.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 pm

starsurfer wrote: I meant that the original image on Jason Jennings website is different to the main APOD image. However, I'm sure we can all agree that potato pie is delicious. :D
Do you mean potato pie, or sweet potato pie? I've never heard of potato pie, but sweet potato pie can be very good, depending on what's put in it. Most sweet potato pie makers put in way to much spices, for my taste.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am

The first time I ever had sweet potato pie was at my first ever thanksgiving celebration in 1998. I have always loved sweet potato/yam/kumera, but as a savoury dish, especially with a roast dinner. This sweet potato pie was a dessert and baked with marshmallows on top, and I remember thinking it was a waste of two good things. (I still ate it, but I think it is a weird pie. You crazy Americans!)

Potato pie, on the other hand, as I understand it, is any kind of potato concoction in a pie or casserole dish, baked in the oven. I like mine scalloped, without a base, layered with cheese and garlic and rosemary and baked [facing magnetic north] until crispy golden brown . Also nice with beef in a pastry base, with mashed potato on top, for a shepherd's pie. I agree starsurfer, delicious.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 17, 2014 11:36 am

I don't think being baked in the magnetically north direction is going to help that concoction at all. :no: :signed: a non-crazy American.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat May 17, 2014 11:38 am

Beyond wrote:I don't think being baked in the magnetically north direction is going to help that concoction at all. :no: :signed: a non-crazy American.
Just being jovial.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 17, 2014 11:42 am

Good for you. :lol2:

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 am

Nitpicker wrote:The first time I ever had sweet potato pie was at my first ever thanksgiving celebration in 1998. I have always loved sweet potato/yam/kumera, but as a savoury dish, especially with a roast dinner. This sweet potato pie was a dessert and baked with marshmallows on top, and I remember thinking it was a waste of two good things. (I still ate it, but I think it is a weird pie. You crazy Americans!)

Potato pie, on the other hand, as I understand it, is any kind of potato concoction in a pie or casserole dish, baked in the oven. I like mine scalloped, without a base, layered with cheese and garlic and rosemary and baked [facing magnetic north] until crispy golden brown . Also nice with beef in a pastry base, with mashed potato on top, for a shepherd's pie. I agree starsurfer, delicious.
Potato pie is amazing! I have never had sweet potato pie nor would I ever want to. A potato pie with potato mixed with meat and cheese with a thick layer of cheese on top is divine!