APOD: Tutulemma: Solar Eclipse Analemma (2016 Aug 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Tutulemma: Solar Eclipse Analemma (2016 Aug 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 am

Image Tutulemma: Solar Eclipse Analemma

Explanation: If you went outside at exactly the same time every day and took a picture that included the Sun, how would the Sun's position change? With great planning and effort, such a series of images can be taken. The figure-8 path the Sun follows over the course of a year is called an analemma. At the Winter Solstice in Earth's northern hemisphere, the Sun appears at the bottom of the analemma. Analemmas created from different latitudes appear at least slightly different, as well as analemmas created at a different time each day. With even greater planning and effort, the series can include a total eclipse of the Sun as one of the images. Pictured is such a total solar eclipse analemma or Tutulemma - a term coined by the photographers based on the Turkish word for eclipse. The featured composite image sequence was recorded from Turkey starting in 2005. The base image for the sequence is from the total phase of a solar eclipse as viewed from Side, Turkey on 2006 March 29. Venus was also visible during totality, toward the lower right. If you want to create your own USA-based tutulemma ending at next August's total solar eclipse, now would be good time to start.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Tutulemma: Solar Eclipse Analemma (2016 Aug 22)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 am

Nice that it happened on a nice day....

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:50 am

I'm bored with analemmass. Maybe some year the Sun could do a figure 7 or figure 9 instead? Just for variety?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:57 am

If you were at the north or south pole, would you see just a figure 0 or an inverted U shape?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Guest wrote:If you were at the north or south pole, would you see just a figure 0 or an inverted U shape?
It would look similar to this Antarctic Analemma just different dates
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150923.html

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:01 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Guest wrote:
If you were at the north or south pole, would you see just a figure 0 or an inverted U shape?
It would look similar to this Antarctic Analemma just different dates
The North Pole would see the full bow
above the equinox φ line :arrow:

The South Pole would see the U shape
below the equinox φ line (inverted) :arrow:
Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 pm

APOD Robot wrote:At the Winter Solstice in Earth's northern hemisphere, the Sun appears at the bottom of the analemma.
Doesn't the Sun appear at the bottom at winter solstice in either hemisphere (unless you are within one of the polar circles, in which it doesn't appear at all)?

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:52 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:At the Winter Solstice in Earth's northern hemisphere, the Sun appears at the bottom of the analemma.
Doesn't the Sun appear at the bottom at winter solstice in either hemisphere (unless you are within one of the polar circles, in which it doesn't appear at all)?
Aye, but the time of Winter Solstice in the North, is the time of Summer Solstice in the South, from where the Sun appears at the top of the analemma. Unless we define top equivalent to North and bottom equivalent to South. The terms top and bottom become most confusing in equatorial zones.

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 am

My Aunt Alemma came to visit once....she used to do Figure 8s too... :lol2:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:52 am

Thanks for the further info Neufer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 am

Nitpicker wrote:Unless we define top equivalent to North and bottom equivalent to South.
I would consider that inappropriate in a scene that includes a terrestrial horizon, unless the camera is pointed straight up.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 am

Cousin Ricky wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:Unless we define top equivalent to North and bottom equivalent to South.
I would consider that inappropriate in a scene that includes a terrestrial horizon, unless the camera is pointed straight up.
I'm not so sure about that, in general. From some parts of Earth at some times of day, the analemma appears on its side. It is worthwhile to describe it relative to celestial north. And from the southern hemisphere, when observing the ecliptic, one typically faces more northward than southward -- when facing north, celestial north is down and celestial south is up.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm curious about why the Antarctic analemma isn't smooth. By that I mean some of the dimmer spot ( I presume a cloudy day) are not on what is otherwise a smooth curve but offset a bit to the right. Does the refractive index of a cloudy day offset the position?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Guest wrote:I'm curious about why the Antarctic analemma isn't smooth. By that I mean some of the dimmer spot ( I presume a cloudy day) are not on what is otherwise a smooth curve but offset a bit to the right. Does the refractive index of a cloudy day offset the position?
I suspect the camera wasn't perfectly stable.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com