APOD: Meteors over Four Girls Mountain (2016 Dec 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Meteors over Four Girls Mountain (2016 Dec 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:06 am

Image Meteors over Four Girls Mountain

Explanation: On some nights it rains meteors. Peaking over the next two nights, asteroid dust is expected to rain down on Earth during the annual Geminids meteor shower. This year, unfortunately, fainter Geminids will be harder to see because of the brightness of the Long Nights Full Moon, which occurs Wednesday. Pictured, an image from this year's Perseids meteor shower in August captured multiple streaks over Four Girls Mountain in central China. The bright Pleaides open star cluster appears toward the upper right, while numerous emission nebulas are visible in red, many superposed on the diagonal band of the Milky Way.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: Meteors over Four Girls Mountain (2016 Dec 13)

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

The one that stands quite apart, at the left, is the "youngest and prettiest sister". Next is Sanguiang Feng and Daguniang Feng (oldest sister). The reputation is: it is a reasonable trek to climb the oldest sister. As you work your way left, though, the challenges mount quickly, so to speak. Taking on the youngest girl, Yaomei Feng, is very difficult. And so it appears in the video.
Last edited by neufer on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Why do I get the feeling that someone is trying to kill me?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:34 pm

I like this image! :D

I like the composition, and I really like the colors. The overall sky color is a grayish purplish fancy blue, and the regularly spaced pink emission nebulas are really decorative. The nebulas are, from left to right, IC 1396, seen here by Matt BenDaniel), NGC 7822 (by Davide de Martin and ESA/ESO/NASA, and that nebula was the one I was uncertain about - the darn thing doesn't have any blue stars!!!), the Heart and Soul Nebulas (IC 1805 and IC 1848, by Leonardo Orazi), the California Nebula and the Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405).
Very beautiful! And I love the name of the mountain, too. Four Girls Mountain! :D

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:46 pm

heehaw wrote:Why do I get the feeling that someone is trying to kill me?
The Universe isn't trying to kill you, but it will succeed in doing so, all the same.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

jarfirst

Post by jarfirst » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

This picture has been photoshopped. It's still a neat picture, though.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
heehaw wrote:Why do I get the feeling that someone is trying to kill me?
The Universe isn't trying to kill you, but it will succeed in doing so, all the same.
So true!

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:43 am

Lovely image. More on the down-to-earth side of this, ... it's a lovely photo of the Four Sisters mountains. The area is sometimes referred to as the Oriental Alps. The one that stands quite apart, at the left, is the "youngest and prettiest sister" (Yaomei Feng = Youngest Sister Peak). Next is Sanguiang Feng (right behind the meteor-watcher in the photo), then Erguniang Feng, and Daguniang Feng (oldest sister peak). Another good image of the mountains is at: http://www.sichuanfun.com/wp-content/up ... lley-4.jpg
The reputation is: it is a reasonable trek to climb the oldest sister. As you work your way north, though, the challenges mount quickly, so to speak. Taking on the youngest girl, Yaomei Feng, is very difficult. And so it appears in the photos.
Mark Goldfain

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

I have tried two browsers and both cannot open the 'Alvin Wu' link in the credit. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem :?:

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I have tried two browsers and both cannot open the 'Alvin Wu' link in the credit. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem :?:
The link is attempting to go to
which does not appear to be a valid form for a link. (The spaces shown are actually in the link, and by themselves would prevent any such link from working.)

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:19 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I have tried two browsers and both cannot open the 'Alvin Wu' link in the credit. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem :?:
There is no link, just an email address, which is obfuscated so it can't be easily scanned by robots. If you want to contact him, the mail is 412924302 (at) qq (dot) com, reformatted in what should be a fairly obvious way (if you're not a robot yourself... although I understand that this kind of thing doesn't really work, since robots are now very smart).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks Rob and Chris for your help :).

Hoping that I am not considered to be getting (have already got :wink:) irritating by asking some questions recently I wonder if anyone has had thoughts on my query about the correct date of the end of the Cassini Mission in my post on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 pm in the APOD: Over Saturn's Turbulent North Pole (2016 Dec 12). :?:

This is the link to the discussion:- http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=36633

Edit added about 22:48 UT December 14 2016. Thanks to Chris for responding to my query about the date.