APOD: Arches of Spring (2017 Apr 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Arches of Spring (2017 Apr 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:08 am

Image Arches of Spring

Explanation: Two luminous arches stretched across the dome of the sky on this northern spring night. After sunset on March 29, the mountain view panorama was captured in 57 exposures from Chopok peak in central Slovakia at an altitude of about 2,000 meters. The arc of the northern Milky Way is visible toward the right, but only after it reaches above the terrestrial lights from the mountain top perspective. Though dusk has passed, a bright patch of celestial light still hovers near the horizon and fades into a second luminous arch of Zodiacal Light, crossing near the center of the Milky Way. Dust in the ecliptic plane reflects sunlight to create the Zodiacal glow, typically prominent after sunset in clear, dark, skies of the northern spring. Almost opposite the Sun, Jupiter shines brightly near the horizon toward the left. Since Jupiter lies near the ecliptic, it appears within the slight brightening of the Zodiacal band also opposite the Sun called the Gegenschein.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Arches of Spring (2017 Apr 29)

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Great!!
Where they meet reminds me of a Globular Cluster...

:---[===] *

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Re: APOD: Arches of Spring (2017 Apr 29)

Post by MarkBour » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 am

Wow. Was it something I said? About 5 hours ago, I attempted a very simple post (below), and immediately lost my connection. But it also seems that nobody else has made a post in the intervening time.

It's a beautiful image! The way the Zodiacal is imaged here, it is almost as if the Earth had a faint ring.
Mark Goldfain