APOD: Views from Cassini at Saturn (2017 Jun 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
sillyworm
Ensign

Re: APOD: Views from Cassini at Saturn (2017 Jun 18)

Post by sillyworm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Stunning...Eternally Exotic.....Artfully exhibited....Fascinating.....Thanks!

andrew@headshot.com.au

Post by andrew@headshot.com.au » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 am

I appreciate a lot of work has gone into this but by producing the frame rate at warp speed it just looks amateurish in my opinion - sorry but there it is.
There's some breathtaking moments there and if they were presented at an appropriate (ie: slow- frame rate) then this would be soooo much better as the viewer could take in the glory of the universe and the amazing captures by Cassini.

Amazing

Post by Amazing » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:47 pm

About 150 years ago we were capturing images with ferrotypes - one wonders if in 150 years from now, we'll even bother to look out the window of craft passing by Saturn....

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Amazing wrote:About 150 years ago we were capturing images with ferrotypes - one wonders if in 150 years from now, we'll even bother to look out the window of craft passing by Saturn....
Why would we ourselves be in such a craft when the identical experience could be had from our living room chair?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Amazing wrote:About 150 years ago we were capturing images with ferrotypes - one wonders if in 150 years from now, we'll even bother to look out the window of craft passing by Saturn....
Why would we ourselves be in such a craft when the identical experience could be had from our living room chair?
Some people watch travelogues; some people travel.

Rob

sillyworm
Ensign

Post by sillyworm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm

As someone pointed out earlier...you can manipulate the speed at your leisure using your finger etc.That was one of my first thoughts as well(too fast).....but...glass half full....I am intrigued by the presentation. Thanks!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Some people watch travelogues; some people travel.
That's true while there's a discernible difference. That might not be the case in 150 years.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 pm

I just became aware of this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ssini.html
I'm not sure what to make of it!

- RJN

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 am

RJN wrote:I'm not sure what to make of it!
At least APOD gets credited this time. That is not always so with the copy-paste ‘news’ sites.

Lasse H
Ensign

Post by Lasse H » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I have viewed all of the vimeo links from "douglas" above, and they all seem, to me, to be the same movie as the APOD. They all mix moons, rings, stars, and planets at the same record-breaking speed, and I seldom have the time to reflect on what I am seeing (or what I just saw half a second ago).
I'm sorry, but it's mostly a meaningless jumble to me. Maybe I'm too old. Also, I cannot find any speed dial where you can slow down to 25%, like the one youtube videos usually have.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:27 am

Nitpicker wrote:Cool arthouse cinema. I love it. Cassini won't have a Hollywood ending, either.

Ann
Color Commentator

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Thelma and Louise is a rare example of a Hollywood film without a Hollywood ending. (I remember the complaints at the time it was showing.)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Thelma and Louise is a rare example of a Hollywood film without a Hollywood ending.
(I remember the complaints at the time it was showing.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Ending wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Hollywood Ending is a 2002 American comedy film written and directed by Woody Allen, who also plays the principal character. It tells the story of a once-famous film director who suffers hysterical blindness due to the intense pressure of directing.

Val Waxman (Allen) is a once prestigious film director lately reduced to overseeing cheesy television commercials in order to pay his bills and support his current live-in girlfriend, Lori (Debra Messing). When he is thrown off his latest effort (a deodorant commercial being filmed in the frozen north), he desperately seeks a real movie project.

Out of the blue, Val receives an offer to direct a big-budget blockbuster movie to be set in New York City. However, the offer comes from his former wife, Ellie (Téa Leoni), and her current boyfriend, Hal (Treat Williams), the studio head who stole Val's wife from him. Val agrees to the project, but a psychosomatic ailment strikes him blind just before production is to begin.
  • Ellie: What are you going to do? Are you, are you going to edit it blind, too?
    Put in the music blind? Go to the premier blind? At least you won't be able to read the reviews.
Val keeps his blindness a secret from the cast and studio head. The movie plays out with an aging director struggling to regain his vision, both literally and metaphorically. In the end, Val's project costs $60 million—and flops. Nevertheless, Val enjoys a "Hollywood ending" of his own—his movie is a hit in France.

_Hollywood Ending_ was a failure in American theaters, with ticket sales under $5 million with a worldwide gross of only $14.8 million. It was screened out of competition at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. In the United Kingdom, it was the first of Allen's films not to receive a theatrical release. In 2016 film critics Robbie Collin and Tim Robey ranked Hollywood Ending as the worst movie by Woody Allen.>>
Art Neuendorffer